Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kinda rough start sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda rough start sometimes...

Okay so, I have a 22re 93 4runner.
This is not the biggest issue because it doesnt always happen or really affect my driving situation but there is definately some small issue happening.
So picture you hop in and go to start the car and it just goes click, turn the key again...just a click. Hmmm small feeling of nervous like maybe my runner wont start...but no worries keep trying. so usually about 2 to 3 clicks and then you bring the key back to starting position and twist it again and bang you hear the starter trying to fire up the engine. almost like it is having trouble...making that starter noise but not fully firing. (at this point you can smellgas). after a few attempts for ignition it fires idles a little rough, usually coughs some whitish/blue smoke then goes back to smooth idle.
okay so
1. starts with clicking
2. after couple clicks, starter starts going
3. couple tries with starter firing and bang she starts but with a rough idle and small kine smoke
Any ideas guys thanks a lot
Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
my guess is the brushes in the starter are going and/or the contacts in the relay in the starter. i would suggest either rebuilding it or replacing it. there are also some write-ups on adding an extra relay so the ignition switch doesn't see as much of a load, basically using it to fire a relay which the fires the relay in the starter. bad contacts in the ignition switch can also give you problems, and this will ease that problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd clean all the contacts on the battery make sure you have a good ground. Check the + heading to the starter make sure it's alright and a good connection. If that does not fix your issue rebuild the starter. I heard the rebuilds are not all that bad and 10x cheaper then replacing.

http://yotarepair.com/startercontacts.html