Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

just got a zuk mod

Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got a zuk mod

well shes done but cant load pics off my phone for some reason.....anyways i had 9 1/2 inches rim to fender now.....14 1/2 inches....a tottal of 5 inch
before
[IMG][/IMG]
after
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
through the glaire it is 14 1/2 inch
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by brock77; 09-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM

W.T.F.....i cant add any pics......ggrrrrrr
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
photobucket.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

ive added photos before...but now its not working
when i go to my photos..and click on upload photos... it sais i dont have permission

Last edited by brock77; 08-31-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anxiously awaiting pix
Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM

we'll wait....waiting......
Old 08-31-2011, 06:56 PM

can someone pm me the steps on getting photos on here...i have them on my desktop.....size is 640x480....doing something wrong....P.M.O
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 PM

okay got it check out first thread
Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM

so you took the standard steps to do this? did you use bottle jacks and/or spring compressor?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fork
so you took the standard steps to do this? did you use bottle jacks and/or spring compressor?
Bottle jacks and a spring compressor? Didn't know you needed those for this mod.

Brock did you make the upper and lower mounts yourself or buy them? They look pretty good!

Last edited by Junkers88; 08-31-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 PM

ah i see what you mean. i didnt look close enough at the pictures, i figured it was just the simple cut and go method
Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Bottle jacks and a spring compressor? Didn't know you needed those for this mod.

Brock did you make the upper and lower mounts yourself or buy them? They look pretty good!
actually my brother inlaw did the welding and cuttin (hes a welder by trade)....he made the upper and lower mounts.... ill get better pics tommorow....and yes a bottle jack and some kind of spring compressor was used...as well as a big friggin bar....there is no way that these suckers are commin out.....goona have to get ball joint spacers as there is quite the rake to it know...
Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by brock77
actually my brother inlaw did the welding and cuttin (hes a welder by trade)....he made the upper and lower mounts.... ill get better pics tommorow....and yes a bottle jack and some kind of spring compressor was used...as well as a big friggin bar....there is no way that these suckers are commin out.....goona have to get ball joint spacers as there is quite the rake to it know...
5 inches...now that is a lift! Seems a little unusual to get a full 5 from the 14 inch skinny coils...are they the typical 125 pounders? You can also take about 2 inches off the coil length with a cutting wheel if need be. technically, that will cause some increase in the overall spring rate but the lift will come down some. I don't know if the coil will rattle around any with the wheel fullu extended if you go that route.

I bet it rides much softer. If it seems bouncy then that means the shocks are shot. Your present shocks must be kind of close to topping out I would think right now. How's the shackle looking?

Last edited by ZUK; 09-01-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
5 inches...now that is a lift! Seems a little unusual to get a full 5 from the 14 inch skinny coils...are they the typical 125 pounders? You can also take about 2 inches off the coil length with a cutting wheel if need be. technically, that will cause some increase in the overall spring rate but the lift will come down some. I don't know if the coil will rattle around any with the wheel fullu extended if you go that route.

I bet it rides much softer. If it seems bouncy then that means the shocks are shot. Your present shocks must be kind of close to topping out I would think right now. How's the shackle looking?

yup 125 pounders..... im going to keep them this long (the yoda is me hunting rig).need the extra pounds for the bull elk ...am looking into getting b.j spacers...and yes the rides is awesome..so much better then before...but the shocks need to be replaced definitly.....
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Question

Originally Posted by ZUK

Hey Zuk, take a closer look at his fabbed mounts ( the two last pics in his post )...it looks like the coil is not sitting flush with the bottom of the frame. Almost an inch off the frame. Check out the lower mount also...not flush with top of spring pack. Could this account for the extra lift...Whaddaya think, Godfather of the mod?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:24 AM
ZUK

Originally Posted by daved5150
Hey Zuk, take a closer look at his fabbed mounts ( the two last pics in his post )...it looks like the coil is not sitting flush with the bottom of the frame. Almost an inch off the frame. Check out the lower mount also...not flush with top of spring pack. Could this account for the extra lift...Whaddaya think, Godfather of the mod?
ha ha...ya, that could account for the extra 1/2" or so of unexpected lift. My fuzzy vision looking at fuzzy pics REALLY makes it hard to see that detail
Nothing wrong with getting 5 inches of SOFT riding lift though.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 PM

just added a better "after" side comparison to my first post....zuk, the shackels look great ...but i do have quite a bit of noise comming from them (not great for a hunting vehivle hahaha) squeking and rattling...only on the logging/back roads...highway is fine.....will the noise go a way after i get new shocks...(rancho rs 5000...i think)...my old ones are stretch out to 21 inch right now ....probably not doing anything now...hahaha
My springs ended up compressing from 14 inch - 11 1/4 inch with the back empty and the top on, for anyone that wonders what they compress down to

Last edited by brock77; 09-04-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 PM

just added a better "after" side comparison to my first post....zuk, the shackels look great ...but i do have quite a bit of noise comming from them (not great for a hunting vehivle hahaha) squeking and rattling...only on the logging/back roads...highway is fine.....will the noise go a way after i get new shocks...(rancho rs 5000...i think)...my old ones are stretch out to 21 inch right now ....probably not doing anything now...hahaha
My springs ended up compressing from 14 inch - 11 1/4 inch with the back empty and the top on, for anyone that wonders what they compress down to

Thanks for all the info and a great thread, brock. You wouldn't mind taking another picture with the top back on, would ya? I gotta do my '88 when I do her motor. She's got blocks in there now that were there when I bought her, but those are coming out. Nice looking rig. Love the 1st gens.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 PM

sorry daved5150 never did have the top off.....just finished putting knew shocks on the yoda.....trail masters.....and ooooeeeeee what a differnce...had to order rear shocks (for a 4 inch lift) for the rear .... and 0-1 inch lift for the fronts (for when i get the ball joint spacers done).......
i recentlly took the yoda on a hunting road that had rain ditches that were mighty deep....the flex i had was crazy, the rear passenger tire was damn near touching top of inside of wheel well....and the drivers side was way down in the rain ditch touching ground....(sorry no pics) but i was amazzed the springs were no where near coming out........(this was before new shocks)
the sqeaking noise is from the springs rubbing the 2x2 square tubing used....note-maybe use 2 3/8 o.d round tubbing instead....hahha... but she rides like a dream....thanks again zuk...brock
Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
ZUK

You might be getting some twanging noises from the upper mounts....tough to quiet that down....shorter mounts help.
Your leaf packs could be slapping each other so tight-clamp them together. Grease all bushings including the shackle ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just got a zuk mod