Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

just fitted flamethrower injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more checks reveal more issues

Hi over flow pipe from rad to overbottle leaks air. 7 mge maf has a mark on the peniometer. so back to orginal maf for now. still does not run cleanly but think kick down cable needs to be loosen as when i go from drive to netural (stationary) truck stops pulling aganist brakes and tickover smooth and no fluctions. vaccum hoses are not tight on fittings have only replaced ones leading from throttle body. egr ones are next. power is there as had to drive aganist a 30mph head wind and could crusie in overdrive at 50mph. so injectors must be a stunning bit of kit. fuel consumption is not quite where it should be but ecu still making changes. on for 200 miles on a tank of fuel 60 miles done on 7 mge maf. next tank will give me a better idea of mpg.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 PM
FormerVendor

re: injectors

glad to see you are making progress. the ECU should be able to revert back to stock shortly. best of luck with the vacuum leaks.

should be interesting to see where the mileage ends up.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:59 AM

another update

Well getting thete. mpg is now at 20 imperial mpg (should be 240 - 250 miles on a tank) under not the best driving conditions. thick fog on way to work every day this week. on way home 20miles of dodging cyclists on tour. how most of them got this far amazes me not an ounce of sense between them. Been using kick down alot. still 2 mpg up on previous injectors. tick over almost sorted. report back when i refill tank later this week.

Last edited by chefdave; 09-14-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 09-14-2014, 08:05 AM

where are the other reviews

Hi
understand several sets have been out free but very few reviews posted.

Last edited by chefdave; 09-14-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: correcting bad spelling
Old 09-14-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
I wish I could have reported 20 mpg... But, I get arount 240 to 250 miles on a tank. From my calculations I get around 16.5 mpg right now. This is a steady increase even after the tan injector install. But I agree with you, people, post your reviews!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 AM

makes me feel good

Originally Posted by Gevo
I wish I could have reported 20 mpg... But, I get arount 240 to 250 miles on a tank. From my calculations I get around 16.5 mpg right now. This is a steady increase even after the tan injector install. But I agree with you, people, post your reviews!
my toyota is a 3 ton dolphin motorhome with v6 with 4 speed auto box. so im happy but think i can get it up to 22 imperial mpg. bottom end power is much improved but when i had 7 mge vafm on it mid range was unbelievable when i can afford a recon 7 mge vafm will be fitting it. overdrive comes in at 45mph instead of 50-53 mph. get a lovely v8 sound when floored from a v6. Ummmmm :-) :-) :-) turns heads everywhere usually a confused look on peoples faces. have a big following in area with lots of positive feed back. have a work collegue looking for a toy like mine. alas in UK its rearer then hens teeth.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Hi
getting closer to solving tick over issue. replaced clips from servo to inlet manifold now more stable. have a leak from exhaust manifold to egr pipe. need a new gasket or exhaust sealer. thinking of now replacing every vacuum pipe under bonnet what a task that will be. meters of pipe to replace cant moan as all look to orginal so 25 years is a long life span for rubber hoses will replace with silicone hosr. more resliant to under bonnet environment. toyota knew how to build hilux's. reminds me of bbc top gear when they tried to kill one and failed. google it and watch.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
BTW how do you like those Flamethrowers? I'm thinking about getting those for my 22RE.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by anndel
BTW how do you like those Flamethrowers? I'm thinking about getting those for my 22RE.
I think they are stunning. as stated by flamethrower bottom and mid range power are up. Torque increase allows me to stay in overdrive for longer at lower speeds.once my tick over is sorted believe it will idle smoother. I feel flamethrower injectors have a very positive effect on engine, despite other issues that have plagued me. i would recommend them when they are fitted it can take a tank of fuel for ecu to adjust also you may have lean engine out 1 click on vafm because the effientency of the injectors.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:38 AM

think fuel filter is due replacement or fuel pump is on way out.

Hi
lastest update. had a slightly high but smooth tick over went and filled tank then bloody tick over disappeared kept stalling in town with a auto box !!!!! Took it home on usual commute route got home and tick over almost normal any suggestions. only thing different is empty to full tank. when i removed filler cap got a hiss as normal.fuelled up from same filling station ive used for 6 months. it has high turn over of fuel.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM

fuelling prob almost sorted

Hi
have run a bottle of redex through fuel system had a vast improvement in tickover and mid range. so i think fuel filter needs replacing. mpg is up as well. egr leak still needs fixing and service due. going to run a 5/40 oil in engine as winter temps here drop to just above freezing with a wind chill factor of -10c to -25. Gearbox oil goes very thick and getting a manual into gear is hard work until oil warms up. just as well i have dexron 6 in auto box.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM

getting even closer

Think most of my probs are related to a sticky injector. strange as they are new. have run a bottle of lucas deep clean fuel system cleaner with a lubricant for injectors. my tick over as shot up rev wise and midrange power is increasing. fuel ecomany is looking better. engine is almost back to its smooth self not a lumpy 5. Still going to run checks on tps vafm to rule them out.

Last edited by chefdave; 10-12-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 AM

missed on last post

Strange clicking sound has dissappeared from top of engine since running lucas addative and driving a 100+ miles.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
sounds like its time for a valve adjustment
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 AM

valve shims where to buy

Hi
where do you buy shims from other than toyota. also how much time do i need to allow for checking and changing. am i correct in thinking pendlum and fuel rails need to be removed for checking.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
http://ether3al.physic.al/93fsm-mobile/engine.html

Toyota dealership will be your best bet for the shims. and for the time effort and specialty tools it takes to do the job, it is probably worth it just to have the dealership do it for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 AM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefdave
Well getting thete. mpg is now at 20 imperial mpg (should be 240 - 250 miles on a tank) under not the best driving conditions. thick fog on way to work every day this week. on way home 20miles of dodging cyclists on tour. how most of them got this far amazes me not an ounce of sense between them. Been using kick down alot. still 2 mpg up on previous injectors. tick over almost sorted. report back when i refill tank later this week.
20 Imperial gallons is ~24 US gallons. Approx 2.0 Imperial to 2.4 US fwiw.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Hi
Had a small air lock in cooling system which has proved difficult to remove. Job done now. O2 sensor will probably need replacing. Looking for denso part number for a 1989 v6 3.0 pick up. Found a list of part numbers that should fit. Can any one confirm denso part number dox-0101 is the right part.
Thanks
Dave
Old 10-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Hi
Airlock has returned with lots of thick brown sluge think it is remains of mixed antifreeze which i thought i had flushed out. Water was running clear and heater works very well. So baffled on where it has come from and more importantly what damage could i have done to engine.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Part I used on mine:

DENSO 2344052

Both Amazon and RockAuto should have, and elsewhere. Direct fit w/ the correct electrical connector and exhaust gasket.

But look on both for your model # (I actually prefer Rock Auto).

For your year they show:

DENSO Part # 2344055 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} OE Style One of our most popular parts
Upstream; DLX Model; SR5 Model

Last edited by RSR; 10-23-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: just fitted flamethrower injectors