Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Interior swap - Should I replace heater core?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Interior swap - Should I replace heater core?

I bought an 88 4Runner with a gray interior to swap into my 86 with brown interior. Currently, when I accelerate I hear a gurgling behind the glove box. I know it could be a number of things, but if I am completely removing the dash, should I just replace the heater core? Or should I leave it if it isn't leaking? Also, I have A/C installed, but not functioning (missing the belt). I plan on installing the belt and seeing what happens. I am not sure what the state of the refrigerant is, or the compressor etc. but I read that I should service the evaporator and other parts while I have the dash removed. Thoughts? Everyone says it's a pain in the ass to do the heater core, but it's easier without the dash. If Death Cougar said it is a pain in the ass it might take me an entire weekend.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
flush it at the same time, i feel your dilemma, taking an entire weekend to pull and re-install a dash sucks.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once you get in there its not that bad. Take a lot of pictures. The cables that select where the air goes are tricky. Make note of where they go.

This is from 2 years ago when I did mine (A NIGHTMARE YOU CAN AVOID) but it still rings true:

"If you're reading this and contemplating changing out your heater core, heed Terrys87s advice: make SURE you've got the C clips on the core tubes and the core flange as needed. This is the most critical part of this job.

PRESSURE TEST. PRESSURE TEST. PRESSURE TEST. IMPERATIVE.

Get the core in the blend box or whatever, get it in the cab, hook up the hoses at the firewall, then run the truck. Then drive it around for a little bit. Then check for fluid at the flanges at the core. Or else you will be taking everything back apart."
Old 04-27-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
I guess what I am wondering is, if I am taking apart the dash, should I just do the heater core even though it's not giving me troubles at the moment? Also, just doing a quick search on Autozone, they have two heater cores for sale. One is $98 and has two long curved tubes coming out. This one claims it's for an 86 without rear heat. They have another one that has just these little nubs. That one says its for an 86 WITH rear heat. This is interesting to me, as my parts truck has rear heat and I wanted to add it to my 86 without rear heat. I thought it was simply a matter of adding a T into the coolant hoses in the engine bay, running them to the rear seat heater and adding power. What is the difference between these two heater cores, and are they interchangeable?

Search this Thread