86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior shift boots replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interior shift boots replacement

Hey guys, working out some small fixes on my 87 4runner. The PO installed dual cases and the shift boots were pretty ugly, and not sealed up at all. Don't want snow slush coming up through the floor I found a few used OEM boots for $80+ but was not going that route. $10 universal boots from Amazon it is! I'm still working on this so I'll post updates as I finish, but here's where I'm at right now with the transmission and crawl box shifters.

Ok so the truck has dual transfer cases and sits on a 3" body lift, makes it a little harder to find boots with enough flex. I found that small boots turned upside down should work well, as there is little movement at the base of the shifters. I have installed a Marlin Crawler short throw for the transmission and I'll be getting the t-case short throws from 4Crawler. These should help the boots fit even better, also it'll be nice when the shifters don't hit the floor and center console . All three lower boots were also torn, so I ordered new t-case boots (Marlin's transmission short throw comes with a new boot, and they sell the t-case boots separately). The floor boots I got are rectangular and will fit sideways so there will be a gap between the transmission and crawl box. I got a roll of 1/8" neoprene to make a gasket to cover the big hole in the tunnel, and the boots will then fit through the neoprene. Won't be the prettiest but it'll be functional and I'll probably end up with a leather boot cover on top. I ordered one but it's a bit too small. I'll post pictures later today and if anyone can tell me if the console and shifter bezel are stock, that would be appreciated. PO's for sale ad said "custom console" but it fits right up to the bezel so I'm not sure.

Anyway I think that's all I have for now, and I'll post up pictures later today. I'll report back again when I get the rear t-case boot figured out.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:50 PM

Here's some of the pictures

You can see how the rubber is ripping through the screws, and one of the boots is almost ripped in half on the lower section.

Short throw throw installed.

When I have everything apart for the t-case short throws, I might bend the crawl box shifter to the left. Hitting the floor pretty good.

Faux leather outer boot is too short.

Last edited by James874runner; 12-05-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Yep, sometimes you need do get creative when modifying for various "extra" shifters.

The new boots look good!

The console and shift bezel (or what is left of it) is stock, but may not be original to your truck. It looks like the colors do not match up. The console might be from a newer truck, but it is difficult for me to tell.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
The mistake the last guy made, which you did not repeat, was to attach the boots directly with no metal bezel. That's just asking the rubber to tear out around the screws, which it did. The OEM inner boot has a nice metal plate over the outside ring of the boot to protect it and provide strain relief for the screws. Glad to see your implementation includes the same. It should last a lot longer, and looks a lot better, too.

I'm interested in this because I'm part way through a dual case installation in my '94 myself. Haven't got to the details of the boots yet, but thanks for the good ideas.

How did you make those shiny bezels?

Last edited by RJR; 12-06-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
The mistake the last guy made, which you did not repeat, was to attach the boots directly with no metal bezel. That's just asking the rubber to tear out around the screws, which it did. The OEM inner boot has a nice metal plate over the outside ring of the boot to protect it and provide strain relief for the screws. Glad to see your implementation includes the same. It should last a lot longer, and looks a lot better, too.

I'm interested in this because I'm part way through a dual case installation in my '94 myself. Haven't got to the details of the boots yet, but thanks for the good ideas.

How did you make those shiny bezels?
RJR, the metal boot bezels came with the boots.
"Spectre performance 6283 small shift boot" under $10 on Amazon. I also ordered a different one that I thought was bigger but ended up being identical, one vendor measured the outside dimensions and this one measured the inside dimensions. Turned out to work perfect anyway. Now if I can just find the right size leather boot cover for cheap...
Old 12-07-2018, 06:45 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks for the Amazon pointer. I'll check that out.