Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

intake manifold modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually do have a set of cams that I would be willing to donate just pay me for the shipping and their yours....I have the colt cams that I acquired through weasy2k last summer, they deffinately move the powerband up a little. Seems like 3500-5000 has a lot more pull than it used to. I need to get a remanned block cause I don't have to good of compression and am going through oil... shoulda done the lower end last summer when I did the hg's but didn't have enough time or money.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manifold measuring

OK guys heres my dillemma.

i dont have an extra intake manifold to take measurements of, and i drive my truck everyday. SO i need a spare one to work with while i drive my truck.

anyone have a spare (upper or lower, doesent matter) that they are will ing to let me pay shippint on? ill ship it back when im done taking measurements.

the junkyards around here want $40-100 for the dang things, and i kinow they wouldnt wanna buy it back. thanks guys
Old 04-01-2010, 09:14 AM

I have a spare lower.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 AM

kappy how much do you think the shipping to get that thing all the way to nc would be? and do you think itll fit in a flat rate box?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Ok idk if this could work but what if you were to just make an outline with paper and a pincil and then you could just fax it for free? You just have to have the basic runner locations and bolt hole locations. Right?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:26 AM

that would work, or some measurements with the paper outline also. but cappy may not feel like going through all that work for me. ill leave that up to him to decide, im game either way. i wouldnt imagine shipping would be too awful bad on it
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM

well guys looks like it might be a few weeks into the summer before i can really get down and dirty with this project, as i dont have the money to invest into a spare full intake(i have decided to try and find a full intake, i can rebuild it, clean it, and put in the spacer and my dd wont be down while i work on it), and since i wont be able to work until school lets out (MAY 7 WOOT WOOT) i wont be able to start the project without money. stay tuned yall, i havent given up, just postponed this project for now!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

good to hear!! i will be waiting!!
Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 AM

for those of you interested, and subscribed, what grade aluminum do you guys think i should use? i dont know much about that kind of stuff, as i havent taken my materials classes at WCU yet, so im looking for some input here. i might, sould also, machine spacer out of high density plastic, much the same as what is used on late model intake manifolds, if not sure of the pros and cons of that, but im getting ready to start on this project, so help me out here guys.

and NO flaming about not knowing much about materials.... im tryin to help the 3vz market here a litlle guys. haha
Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if i could get some CAM DURATIONS, LIFT, and specs and such, i'd be a happy camper

my 3VZ is almost ready to be put back together, and i'd like to have a set of aftermarket cams, but i guess i'll just have to do without lol
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM

no one has any input on what grade aluminum i should use to make these spacers?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:39 AM

If you're in the WCU mechy.E program, I would think your professors alone would take an interest in this project of yours as well as any campus automotive clubs. Maybe shoot an email the the person teaching materials or manufacturing methods and see if they have anything to say. You're a student, they're working for you buddy. College resources are there for the utilization.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Jipopotamo, sometimes i cant see the forest for the trees. im not real sure why i hadnt thought of that, ill get right on it. next week is finals week, so i only have a small window of opp for a one on one conversation about this, but thanks!!

wow- im an idiot.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 AM

No worries man, I did it the other way. Spent too long at UT in the mechy.E not talking to the people I should have been. Just make an starter intro, open up lines of communication and email will carry you through the summer break. In my experience, a professor is always willing to email back and forth as opposed to on-going face to face. But yeah, remember all too well what your tuition is paying for: their salaries. Expect attention.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM

that is very true, i had thought about it that way, but not necessarily in that context... did you stick with the mech. E profession or move onto something else?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 AM

Hehe...well...I did mechy.E for a year and a half and ended up not wanting to make a career out of it. Switched to college of liberal arts-geography dept for a year and a half and had a really good time there, enjoyed the work. But it turns out the timing was all wrong and so after 3 outta 4 years done, I decided to drop out and go spend some time on me. That was summer 09. Since then, I've been here, there and everywhere, really doing many of the things I didn't think I could, would, or should. I'm finally about to move back home, same city I went to high school and will eventually get into the community college that I went to during HS with concurrent enrollment. Talk about full circle perspective. It's like I'm starting all over, but finally with the sense I know I didn't have when I was younger. It's what's worked out for me, and we all have our own paths, savvy?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 AM

savvy. wow. sounds like youve had a pretty good time the past couple years. what kind of work have you been doing while on your travels?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fiddle, interesting idea you have hear. As far as the type of alum. that you should use, I would go with 6061 T6. It is nice to work with in both welding and machinablity.

PM me, I may be able to help you out.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM

ride4fun, PM sent
Old 05-01-2010, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipopotamo
Hehe...well...I did mechy.E for a year and a half and ended up not wanting to make a career out of it. Switched to college of liberal arts-geography dept for a year and a half and had a really good time there, enjoyed the work. But it turns out the timing was all wrong and so after 3 outta 4 years done, I decided to drop out and go spend some time on me. That was summer 09. Since then, I've been here, there and everywhere, really doing many of the things I didn't think I could, would, or should. I'm finally about to move back home, same city I went to high school and will eventually get into the community college that I went to during HS with concurrent enrollment. Talk about full circle perspective. It's like I'm starting all over, but finally with the sense I know I didn't have when I was younger. It's what's worked out for me, and we all have our own paths, savvy?
Man, sounds like my boat. Licensed commercial helicopter pilot and i paid a expensive private univeristy 4yr degree price tag to get my ratings yet the Economy is so horrible I'm starting over but not sure in what... So blue collar work i do till then =)

Improving the 3vze-fe is courageous but ultimately a lost cause. Now invest in improving the 5vze-fe .. now we have a discussion =)

Quick Reply: intake manifold modification