Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

insurance or on the side??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There are some great responses here. I'd like to add to that.

Lets say instead of the BB it was a .45? Would you still feel the same way? First off let me say that keeping a cool head has got to be your primary concern. Second you need to press charges. Third don't do anything to fix that until such a time as you feel you have been compensated for the damage to your rig and he perp had been shown, and paid for, the error of his ways.

My first impulse on reading this was that you should have boxed in the cars, grabbed his little @$$ and beat him damn near to death with that weapon. Make no mistake that rifle of his is a WEAPON no matter the caliber and not a TOY to be played with.

What I'm trying to explain here is if you let them get away with this then they'll do it again, and again, and again until they kill someone.

As a military member I take weapon use very very seriously. You never cover someone or something with a weapon if you aren't willing to kill that person or thing. He was willing...........
Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88

As a military member I take weapon use very very seriously. You never cover someone or something with a weapon if you aren't willing to kill that person or thing. He was willing...........
See that is what i have been taught from the moment i have set my hands upon a firearm. I also take firearm safety very seriously along with my family.

I feel, this SHOULD be pressed because it is important.

Thats why i mentioned paintball or airsoft, if you wanna play around shooting someone, go do 1 of the above, without a REAL firearm.

When i was younger i used to play with nerf guns, laser tag, etc... But i was TAUGHT that real firearms are not a joke. I bet this kid will say, "i didn't think it was a real gun that was capable of harm." I bet you that will be his excuse.

Nevertheless i would still press, this could be one of those news stories that would alert the whole community and would probably benefit, maybe possibly influence parents to have a sit down with their children who own pellet guns or any other item that could cause harm if used in the wrong way

I wouldn't sit by and do nothing

Last edited by 904_runner; 10-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
well, drove all over hell and tarnation today gettin quotes... ended up with 6 quotes ranging from 988.78 to 1365.93...
imma talk to him and let him know that it needs to get fixed immediately, and its gonna be 1200 dollars avg... if he balks, ill let him know that i WILL press charges, and they could be up to Felony Attempted Manslaughter charges...
i imagine that that will scare the crap outta him...

and as a side note, my ins, company will not go after him because 1. the quotes are 1/3 the price of the vehicle, and 2. the kid is 18, so they have no course of action except to sue him...

also, the first body shop i went to, the guy who did the estimate told me, :look, between you, me and that bush right there, get the money from that guy or his parents, and put the money to better use somewhere else. go out and buy a bottle of high quality acrylic clear nail polish and fix it yourself, because its the same stuff that we will use, basically."
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM

X2 about using the money to fix it, but making that kid or his parents pay up will really give him the point. But then again, who knows he was the dumbarse shooting at cars in the first place. so who knows

Glad you are taking action
Old 10-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk

and as a side note, my ins, company will not go after him because 1. the quotes are 1/3 the price of the vehicle, and 2. the kid is 18, so they have no course of action except to sue him...
Sorry, but your insurance company is lame. Maybe time to shop around a bit?

Additionally, you probably should contact HIS insurance company and not put a claim through on yours. His company will be the one paying anyway. If you put a claim through on his it shouldn't affect your standing or premium with your company.

also, the first body shop i went to, the guy who did the estimate told me, :look, between you, me and that bush right there, get the money from that guy or his parents, and put the money to better use somewhere else. go out and buy a bottle of high quality acrylic clear nail polish and fix it yourself, because its the same stuff that we will use, basically."
Dude is right on.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:45 PM

how can i place a claim thru to his ins. company? he was not in a vehicle at the time, and hes 18, but has no homeowners insurance... and even the bodyshop guys agreed that my insurance wouldnt cover it...

anyways, i tried to call the guy today on the line that the Police Officer gave me, and it was one of those numbers that automatically reject calls without a passcode... so im going down to file a police report tomorrow...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyways, i tried to call the guy today on the line that the Police Officer gave me, and it was one of those numbers that automatically reject calls without a passcode... so im going down to file a police report tomorrow...
Obviously they get a lot of calls from friendly people wanting to chat about their son's comedic antics.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 PM

a passcode???? WTF is that? Never heard of that before......
Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
a passcode???? WTF is that? Never heard of that before......
Presumably, you have to punch in a code upon connecting to the home line in order for it to complete the call. My guess is that you wouldn't bother getting such a line unless your family was composed of really unsavory types. I'd leave this to the cops.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 PM

Maybe they are in the witness protection program???? Lol. But seriously, never heard of that in so cal, personally. I'm glad all my unsavory family members are all on the east coast. Owell, I learn something new everyday, thank you.

Let the cops handle this, thats my suggestion as well. Who knows whats really up with this house and or family. That I believe is the smart course of action.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:21 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
tards suck. I'd get the insurance after them they got leaverage on such things. Then get some tuoch up paint, to prevent rust. Afterwards get some of those awesome bullethole stickers to cover paint discoloration. Take money insurance gets for you and get more truck mods!!!!!!

I'd probably press criminal charges against dude too, after all if you went and stomped his ass he'd press charges and probably sue for damages. Why cut him some slack hell, this way the next time there's a record and they can stick itt to him.

Oh just read your insurance ain't pursuing. oh-well, prevent rust and rock on.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 AM

Definitely press charges.

Don't forget you can bill him for your time and mileage to get the quotes. Also be sure to remember the mental anguish this has caused you and the years of therapy you'll need to get over it. Okay so maybe not, but the first is legit.

Kid should feel lucky he is not dead. There are many areas of the country where it is legal to counter deadly force with deadly force.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 AM

One other thing, if they give you any trouble post the details over on pirate. They take stupidity personally over there and action will be taken.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Press Charges. Damn sure he'd be gettin' charged if he shot a cop car. Why are you any different.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by gte718p
One other thing, if they give you any trouble post the details over on pirate. They take stupidity personally over there and action will be taken.
Post up his address, by noon tmr, there should be 53" bogger tire tracks through the living room.

The obligatory "I'm actually joking" smiley.....

Last edited by Matt16; 10-21-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM

CHAPTER 2:
well, i got ahold of the insolen little SOB this afternoon, and of course he denied it... he tried to feed me some crap about not even shooting at the cars, and if it hit my truck then it wasnt his fault... so, i told him that it didnt matter and he was at fault... then i proceeded to tell him that of the 4 quotes from reputable body shops that ive gotten to fix the problem, the average price is 1100 dollars, and he started to get belligerent and told me that was BS, and he wanted to see the truck... so i told him to meet me at a gas station so he could see it...

well, after showing up 20 minutes later than he said he would with his little brother, his dad, and his grandpa, he tried to tell me that he would pay for a bottle of touchup paint from autozone... i told him that i wanted it fixed... he tells that if i want i could go and shoot his car with a pellet gun... i tell him i want it fixed... so then his dad and his brother step up and want to know why its gonna cost so much, so i hand him the estimates, and he flips through the first one, which is for 1300 dollars, and starts griping about them not having to disassemble the whole door and fender... then he looks at the rest of the estimates and says, "oh, i guess it really does have to be taken apart." While that is going on, the grandpa is looking at it and saying that it must be a rock chip... until the kid does the stupidest thing and pulls out one of the pellets and matches the dent... then he just mumbles and appology for the damage...

After that, they all have a convo and ask what i want done... i tell em i want it fixed... they agree to, but they want to see it after it gets fixed... SUUUUURRRREEEE... like thats gonna happen...

anyways, i was headin into town about 2 hrs later, and his mommy calls, and tells me that her cousins friend works for a bodyshop in town, and he can fix it for 400 dollars... i kindly say no... now, i know that its pointless at this point in the novel to say long story short, but 45 mins later, the convo wound up ending with her telling me that he doesnt have any money, and neither does she... so i told her that she has until saturday and im filing a report... that could include reckless discharge of a firearm in public, felony vandalism, and if i pushed hard enough, attempted manslaughter...

i guess we will see where it goes from here...

now im kinda morally confused... i know that if i get the 1100 dollars, i wouldnt fix the paint, and the would be very wrong of me... but on the other hand, i cant justify spending 1100 dollars to fix 1/5th of the paint on my truck, when i only paid 2200 for it, and the paint will NEVER match... i mean, if i file the report, the truck will get fixed, but i kinda wanna be selfish and try to get the cash so i can pay off a credit card... is that wrong of me??

thanks guys so much for the input and comiseration...
YOTATECH ROCKS!!!

Last edited by space-junk; 10-21-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 AM

Under most cercumstances, I'd say you're taking advantage of a bad situation. Injury into opertunity. But in this case, an ADULT fired a gun at your car. I don't think cash should settle this. He should be charged, and your car should be fixed. This isn't about paying your CC. It's not even about your truck. It's about the reckless use of a GUN.

I just about snapped when I read "You can shoot my car...". Honestly. I would flipped out the phone right there and said "Clearly, you have not learned anything from this. I'm calling the police and filing charges - now."

As for the money... I say do what you want. You've been put out by this. You've spent the hours running around getting quotes. You've been running around getting the proper contact info. them. If it were me, I'd be tempted to take the money and say "Thanks. This will fix my truck. Your son, however, can expect a call from the cops in the next 24 hours. Hopefully jail can fix him."
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 AM

That is a tough situation.

I agree with the previous poster, "It's about the reckless use of a GUN." Hopefully the money/charges will make him realize this.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:44 AM

now im kinda morally confused... i know that if i get the 1100 dollars, i wouldnt fix the paint, and the would be very wrong of me... but on the other hand, i cant justify spending 1100 dollars to fix 1/5th of the paint on my truck, when i only paid 2200 for it, and the paint will NEVER match... i mean, if i file the report, the truck will get fixed, but i kinda wanna be selfish and try to get the cash so i can pay off a credit card... is that wrong of me??

thanks guys so much for the input and comiseration...
YOTATECH ROCKS!!!
There is nothing to be confused about.

Press charges.

This person is a threat to society. And by that I mean that if they guy gets off with just a slap on the wrist, he's going to go out again and shoot at cars again. The next time he might 'accidentally" hit the driver and cause an accident, maybe even a death. And that victim could be anyone.. you, me, or one of our mothers.

By pressing charges you are doing a service to protect the rest of society.

I wouldn't approach him at all like you did (at the gas station).. I've have gone 100% through the police and a lawyer. I would have expected him and whatever family he brings to be shat heads about it like they were.

I would feel bad about getting $1365 for this if I were you. If/when you get that money, do what you want with it. Buy some tires, whatever. If that guy has going out a couple of times and shot at cars, he's probably done many thousands of dollars in damage to cars. He's actually getting off lucky for repeat crimes if you are the only person who presses charges.

Last edited by Toyotero; 10-22-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
... felt something hit her in her big fat ass.

"something bit me in the ass real bad mister..."

... but now that i know hes 18, he needs to be taught a lesson... i think i will press charges, hes an adult now, and that crap is just wrong...
Originally Posted by Junkers88
What I'm trying to explain here is if you let them get away with this then they'll do it again, and again, and again until they kill someone.
just cuz you turn 18 (or 21) you dont magiclly become smart / responsible...
lesson time, the expensive way!!!

are any others filing charges? ALL of them should!

Quick Reply: insurance or on the side??