Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Gabriel Steering Damper #6804SE but it don't FIT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Gabriel Steering Damper #6804SE but it don't FIT!!!

Just like the title said i'm installing a new Steering Damper in my ladies 89 4x4 and the new Gabriel #6804SE Steering damper i have has a bushing thats twice the size of the original and
A) it doesn't fit in the stock bracket
B) doesn't have the right new bolts that hold the whole thing thing so i'm at a bit of an impasse i have a few more hours to get this thing done and i'd rather not start chopping up bushings to rig stuff to fit if at all possible. The truck isn't really lifted (besides being on jackstands ) so i don't think its different geometry or anything i'm just wanting to ask the Suspension Guru's what they think would be the most equitable solution to this slight dilemma. I've attached some pictures below to show you guys what i'm talking about. In the mean time i'm going to be outside installing new lower balljoints, Idler arm and pitman arm so any tips about that would be appreciated as well. I've rebuilt almost this entire truck with just me and her and this is the last "wire" were down to (kinda wish i'd been writing all of this up looking back now.) Anyways You guys are some of the wisest characters i've meet on all my forums and i'd like some of your brilliance to help this (relatively) new Toyota owner to get this truck back on the road again Thank you

Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM

If i remember one side is bigger than the other. I am guessing you tried it both ways? If so then I would guess they gave you the wrong one. I would return it and get the right one rather than try and do any modification. I recently replaced mine, got a Monroe at Rockauto.com for about $25. AS far as tools for all teh other parts, go to autozone or pep boys and borrow the tools. They can lend you all the right tools just put down a deposit.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Thanks Peepers Yea this is the right one according to the web site and three different autocrackers i called. I tried it both ways and no go. I'm going to O Reilly's right now to see if they have it for about the same and if not than to Pep Boys. wtf kind of company says its the right OEM replacement part than its not its super annoying.. I've got 2 and a half hours till i have to ahve this truck road worthy and out of my Gpa's front yard. oh the joys of self auto repair Thanks for your speedy reply. Any more tips or idea's would be much appreciated.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 AM

maybe they gave you the 2WD model?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm, ....I mean, unless I'm missing something, ...THAT IS WAY too big of a bushing, lol. Not sure on the "2wd" question... could be I guess.

Let us know when you get back from the parts store with one that fits.

I had a heck of a time getting mine off the driver side at the tapered side... Pickle Fork and 2 BFh's later, 'kerplunk' it fell, lol. But my OMEmu Damper/stabilizer slapped right in, NO manipulation. That's just clearly wrong what they did to you, Grrr! lol. Seriously, not laughin at ya,...I DO KNOW THE FEELING! Napa gave me the wrong motor mounts.... TEARS OF FURY IN MY EYES, .....I finally pulled them and held them up to my OEM ones..... "HOLY CRAPOLI, I'ma kill someone!" ....yeah, that was the first thing from my mouth! hahaha.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:35 PM

LOL So i went back to Autozone(Autocracker) and got my money back than i went to Pep Boys and they had the right one (YEAAAAAHHH!!!) but it ate up so much time all i could do was the steering damper. I have the part number somewhere but i do know its a Monroe type. Will reply with the right number when i get a chance thanks everyone!
Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM

OK so the part number for it is Monroe Magnum Steering Stabilizer # SC2947 as of today in the 505 at any Pep Boys is $29.99 after tax comes to $32.09. TMI i know but who cares this might help someone else who's needing the OEM replacement shock and just got screwed by Autozone like I did Anyways happy repair/replacements everybody!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM

ya get the monroe damper off amazon for cheap like 20 bucks