Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

input shaft bearing or throwout bearing?

Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
input shaft bearing or throwout bearing?

Hi,
I'm kinda new to the Toyota forums here, but thought this would be the place to ask for some advice.

I've got a 93 4x4 22re with 190k, that has been making some noise from the tranny. After researching this a bit I believe to have a bad bearing that is definitely transmission related. I believe it to be either the throwout or the input shaft bearing as these are my symptoms:

Trans sounds like has loose marbles when idle in neutral. When clutch pedal is pressed in the sound goes away. When engaged in gear there is a wind up sound with the rpm's...does not happen in 4th gear only, nor when coasting in neutral.

So I guess the next step is getting it taken care of. I don't think I will be able to do this one myself, so I am wondering how much to expect to pay a shop somewhere here in the Sacramento area to fix it without getting ripped. Is this something that a shop would do or would they just swap the whole trans? Should I do anything else while this service is being performed?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as for price IDK, dose your clutch slip at all?

if it is either one they should be replaced at the same time as the clutch.
when I replaced my clutch the input bearing or pilot bearing was missing half of the ball bearings and my clutch was fine but I had bought a new clutch so it was going in.

ask a few shops how much they would charge to do a clutch and how much just to do the bearings my guess it will be close on labor for both.

I would also have the rear main seal replaced at the same time you are so close at that point.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:23 PM

It's kinda hard to nail down by your discribed symptoms online. I can tell you that a bad input bearing will make noise at idle and go away when the clutch is pressed, however even coasting in neutral will have noise. Noise in all gears but 4th points to counter shaft bearings---a VERY common issue with high mileage w56/58 gearboxes. Also with 190k miles you will have gear noise in all the gears, with less in 4th -- the best way to discribe this in lame man's terms is a "quiter" bearing noise. (again the online discription issue)

So this is what I would recommend, first with 190k and if you do not know when the last clutch job was done or what parts where used I would plan on a new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throwout bearing. It could very well still be the original clutch. My '94 4runner had over 200k when the ORIGINAL clutch went out, and it wasn't the disk but a couple of the fingers off the pressure plate finally fatigued and broke.

For the gearbox plan on at least a new input bearing. 190k is slightly premature to need one but it apears to be the main problem and since Toyota has updated this bearing I say do it. Since pretty much both shafts have to come apart to get to the input bearing also pickup at least the front and rear counter shaft bearings. Changing these two bearings alone will solve the noise you hear in all the gears but 4th. To do it best, also replace the output shaft bearing and both center bearings for each shaft.

However, the bearings in the gearbox will alone cost over the $200 point and a Toyota clutch kit will cost you in the $150 (but well worth it over the parts store brand).

Last edited by Bear80; 08-18-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:35 AM
Contributing Member

don't skimp on the clutch assembly, and have your flywheel resurfaced. replace remain seal for sure. while your in there replace your shifter bushings as well. check your transmission mount and make sure it is not cracked.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 AM

well my clutch hasn't been slipping at all really. i guess toyota clutches seem pretty good as long as you know how to drive...my dad's 84 pickup had 300k before the clutch went out.

i called a few places about my issue and they all pretty much suggest a straight up swap out with a rebuilt trans. couldn't get a straight answer for just the bearings. i guess that would potentially fix any issues other than what is noticeable, i just didn't want to fork out the $1800 that they quoted me. i think one of the shops included everything including the clutch and resurface of plate for that price. so is this a reasonable price? i think i'll have them fix the seal where the rear driveshaft connects as i can see some spray around that area.

i was considering having the dealership quote me on this fix. i was in there for an oil change and they want the truck in for the 50N recall. figure it might be a good time to do all that stuff at once. only problem is they also recommend replacing the pitman and idler arms which look fine to me except for some grease stains at the bottom of the idler arm - bushing? they want around $600 for that fix! maybe i can talk them into half rate if they are doing the 50N?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 AM

I have the EXACT same problem it sounds like marbles bouncing around when I'm in gear driving or in neutral with the clutch engaged
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 AM

Did you ever figure out the exact issue?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 AM

yep...it was the input shaft/bearing causing the issue. a few people suggested it since there was no noise in 4th gear, trans shop confirmed it when they tore it apart and found the chewed up teeth on the input shaft from it being sloppy. could have failed at any moment and left me stranded. Ended up getting tranny rebuilt, then like 2mo later had 5th gear causing problems, twice - so after like 3 shop visits they decided to cut their losses and ordered me up a brand new tranny since he couldn't get things corrected with some of the original internals.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM
JHW

I'm new here also and just went through the same type thing. Finally, I was popping out of gear and I said, enough. My son and I pulled the tranny/transfer case and then I tore into it. input shaft bearing was shot and the bearing cage had enter the tranny. Lucky it's soft steel and I quit driving it when I did. No damage that I could see anywhere. So, it's just a bearing and seal replacement for me. Now, the thing I've learned is to read these forms and take advice when it pertains to you and your vehicle. What I mean is this....................I put a clutch and throw-out bearing in about one year ago and if I had know then what I know now I would have stuck a new input shaft bearing and seal in then. It seems this is a real common problem with high mileage tranny's and mine was high mileage. Live and learn, but it's all hindsight now. JohnW

Last edited by JHW; 08-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.