86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Injecting/Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injecting/Starting problems

This may seem like a bit much but bare with me. I just finished putting in my 3.0 with a new short block. On the first start it seemed to run alright for several minutes. Then I left it for a couple of days and when I started it again it wouldnt turn over. I finally got it to start after spraying some starter fluid into the mass air flow (with the flap open and my aftermarket filter off).

Once it started up, it would run for several seconds and then just die out. Its like its not getting enough pressure for the fuel to keep pumping. So then I jarred and knocked on the gas tank to get the pump goin again (and could hear it hum when the electricity was on) and same thing when I started again. Then I opened the main fuel line by the started, and fuel squirted out when cranking. But when I opened one of the bolts on the fuel line branch by the distributor no fuel would squirt when cranking....

So my uncle and I are both puzzled. Its like theres a clog somewhere in the fuel lines above the intake manifold but there shouldnt be since i cleaned it well. And the damn thing wont start unless u spray starting fluid...???
Is it electrical?? no fuses are out, everythings connected and getting fire...
Please help, any input would be nice
Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Locate the FP and B+ terminals in the grey diagnostic port. Short them with a paper clip or stiff wire and see if the problem still occurs.

Don't know any Higdons in Lexington, do you?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 PM

That doesnt make any sense to me but Ill try it.

And I dont know what Higdons are... if its a person/family name then sorry, i dont know them.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, it's a family name. I have relatives in Lexington. All originally from Georgetown, though.

Well, the idea is that by jumping those terminals you bypass the circuit open relay (fuel pump relay in the pass. side kickpanel) and the fuel pump cut off switch in the airflow meter. I'm only throwing out the suggestion as a sort of troubleshooting "rule it out". If it doesn't solve anything, it was easy enough to do. Then you're looking at fuel line issue or pressure regulator issue. That's all.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Ahh, this makes a lot of sense now. And of course after doing this i found out it was the fuel filter (which was a pain in the dick to get off). So im good now, thanks