86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Imma new guy here. ;)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Imma new guy here. ;)

I'll warn you all upfront, I can be pretty long winded at times. Please click the back button on your browser in the upper left hand corner now if this bothers you...

Hey all. I usually don't do a "welcome me aboard" thread when I join a forum but this forum feels different, so I thought I would.

Back when I bought my first Toyota, a red 1994 4x4 standard cab truck new in Jan. of '94, there really wasn't an Internet. I kept it for 10 months and put 28k on it, then traded it in for the '95 xcab 4x4 I have now in December '94. The Internet was around then in what I term it's infancy, and it was more of a novelty for me and a way to get free games.

Today, the internet is completely different. Everytime I start up a new hobby or buy a new toy (or Toy as it may be ) I go out the next day and find a busy forum and join it. Funny thing is it just never occured to me to go out and join a forum for my truck until I recently started having major problems and have started looking for some help.

My initial impression of this forum is that it seems really busy given the year of most of the trucks here, and that there seems to be a pretty good group here with a good knowledgebase. Hopefully I can add to some of that.

To do the intro right, here's a pic of the truck and some info on it. I already posted it in another thread, but it's the best pic I have of it so get over it.

As I already said, it's a 1995 that I bought new. I drove it for about 4k and bought rims and tires to make it look a little meaner. Originally the tires were Triumph 32x11.50 based on a recommendation from a friend. Let me tell you something about Triumph tires, they suck balls. Don't buy them, ever. I didn't realize how bad they were until I had to get new tires (100k later) and got another set that they couldn't get to balance because they were so cheaply made. After about 100 violent miles I made them take them back and got a set of bridgestone Dueler AT's. I think these are the best tire made and recommend them to everyone that is looking for tires regardless of what size.

Anyway, I jammed the 32x11.50's in there and let them rub for a few years until I finally went out and bought a body kit and had a friend help me put it on. That was basically the last mod I did to the outside besides the nerf bars and a few covers.

Inside mods are sparse too. I have a Pioneer AM/FM/CD in there and a Pioneer preamp equalizer. There is a Punch 75 powering pioneer 4" in the dash, punch 6" in the rear storage compartments, and alpine surface mount tweets in the doors and a Audio Art 50hc powering 2 Infinity reference 12's that I just put in a few months ago. They were an upgrade to the 3 JL 8w6's i ran for about 11 years since the truck was new. I didn't need the rear seats anymore now that we have the 4runner, so I went ahead and built some boxes. I had the 8w6's in the floor in back with no boxes so we could use the seats. believe it or not they didn't sound too bad either.

Here's a pic of the infinity's...

Mechanically the truck isn't in too good of shape....

I blew the first engine at around 140k with a failing valvetrain and bottom end oil damage. The mechanic recommended I go get another engine rather than fix the one I had so I got a junkyard engine with 80k on it. Things were good at first, but didn't last very long. at about 50k into it, the motor started acting like the first one did when it blew. I was pulling a 2500lb boat with it that I guess didn't help matters. It started loosing power and making ticking and tapping noises from the topend, then blew the head gasket.

Being kind of pissed that it blew after spending $2400 on it, I decided to ditch it and get a rebuilt engine from a local engine builder. So $2600 later I had a rebuilt 22re under the hood.

I now have 15k on that motor and it is also ticking even though all I do is drive it to work and back, and the bottom timing gear just took a big bite out of the chain guide and it jumped time on me.

Dead again...

I have been anticipating something like this but I didn't think it was coming this quickly. I have been kicking around the idea of a V8 swap early next year and this just amplifies that thought. The idea of being easier to work on and having more power, and being cheaper to replace really appeals to me. If I keep the truck this is going to happen.

My estimates for repair range from $780-900 for labor only with me supplying the kit from engnbldr with the steel guides that is in the mail to me. I want to do it myself using one of the excellent tutorials I found, but I'm not sure how i will be able to get the oil pan off to get the rest of the broken guide out. The rest seems like it wouldn't be too bad to me. I'll probably do it anyway though. I can't see spending $900 now and $5k next year on the swap.

I am open to suggestions and links to help in this... And yes I searched first. How else do you think I found this forum?

Well, that's my story, I told you I was long-winded.

I'll probably post a lot, but I'm usually pretty inconspicuous. I do seem to kill threads a lot. I haven't figured that one out yet though...

Cheers.

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 05-09-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude i swear ive seen that truck around ocala, you dont happen to work at cox do you? anyways if not i am in ocala and ive seen you in the other forums as well, that truck can be bad ass and i know alot of guys down here that have toyotas, we usually meet on weekends and camp out in the forrest.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:42 AM

looks good man! nice and clean sorry to hear about your engine problems
Old 05-09-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should look into the 3.4 swap from a thrid gen runner. Very popular swap & it is realative easy to do. Nice looking truck, welcome to the forum

ps - I like the color - you don't see that color much
Old 05-09-2006, 06:02 AM

Welcome! Nice truck and bike, too
Old 05-09-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by subliminaltrips
dude i swear ive seen that truck around ocala, you dont happen to work at cox do you? anyways if not i am in ocala and ive seen you in the other forums as well, that truck can be bad ass and i know alot of guys down here that have toyotas, we usually meet on weekends and camp out in the forrest.

Well, I am in Ocala, and there is a really good chance that you have seen the truck at the Cox office there, but unfortunately the communications company I work for implemented a policy a few years ago that prohibits me from identifying them as my employer on public BBS's or forums. Pretty silly isn't it?

That said, I have this feeling that I talked to you over at the Appliance store one day... Was that you or have you just seen the truck at Cox?

If I ever get this thing running good again I'll have to hook up with you guys. I'll have to find the time and money to completely rebuild the drivetrain first though.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Banned

ill just say that i see it everyday i forget your name but we have talked about the truck before , i used to contract and now im an fsr. i believe youll remember me.

by the way if we end up bumping into each other soon ill help you replace teh timing chain, also the 22re is my specialty i rebuilt mine last october which i think is when we talked a few times. theres a few guys i/we work with who have yotas too. im supposed to help the one guy build his engine as well.

Last edited by subliminaltrips; 05-09-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by celica
You should look into the 3.4 swap from a thrid gen runner. Very popular swap & it is realative easy to do. Nice looking truck, welcome to the forum

ps - I like the color - you don't see that color much
That would be a lot cheaper and easier I bet... However there's just something about one of these trucks with a fire breathing V8 in it that is such a turn on.

If it comes down to a $3000 V6 or a $5000 V8 I'm almost thinking I would rather do the V8.

I still have a lot of research to do and money to save before I decide what I'm going to do though... I could get a much newer Tacoma for what I'd have to spend. We'll see.

As for the color, believe it or not that was not the color I wanted. I was told it was "blue" and I bought it off the invoice while it was still in transit. After I got used to it I have come to appreciate it. It is a really nice color when it is freshly waxed.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by subliminaltrips
ill just say that i see it everyday i forget your name but we have talked about the truck before , i used to contract and now im an fsr. i believe youll remember me.

by the way if we end up bumping into each other soon ill help you replace teh timing chain, also the 22re is my specialty i rebuilt mine last october which i think is when we talked a few times. theres a few guys i/we work with who have yotas too. im supposed to help the one guy build his engine as well.
haha! Small world indeed.

I'm going to end up starting the chain work this week and getting a big portion of it done this weekend. I think the guide is in big pieces still and I'm thinking I can drop most of the bolts out of the oil pan and hopefully fish out the pieces through the drain hole. From what I hear you can't drop the pan without removing the front differential and that's beyond what I plan to do.

If you're willing to help, I'm willing to buy the beer...

By the way, aren't you supposed to be working?

I'm um... on lunch right now.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
haha! Small world indeed.

I'm going to end up starting the chain work this week and getting a big portion of it done this weekend. I think the guide is in big pieces still and I'm thinking I can drop most of the bolts out of the oil pan and hopefully fish out the pieces through the drain hole. From what I hear you can't drop the pan without removing the front differential and that's beyond what I plan to do.

If you're willing to help, I'm willing to buy the beer...

By the way, aren't you supposed to be working?

I'm um... on lunch right now.
its my day off i worked saturday sounds like a deal man , not sure when youll be doing it but if we bump into each other before then we could arrange something
im not sure about the 4wd trux but if we could get one side to drop down we shold be able to reach up in there and grab em out.

Last edited by subliminaltrips; 05-09-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 AM

That's a great looking color!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am jealous of you people with Ex-Cabs with the bench seats. My dads DD Ranger has the seats that face towards the opposite side of the truck (ie: passanger rear seat faces the drivers side rear seat) and those are very uncomfortable!

You have a very nice looking truck, and I hope you can get it running some time soon. Nice bike too, BTW.