Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I'm not sure if I fit in here.............

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I am on dial-up, so getting info is pretty slow, but I will try and remember to use the search feature.

Anyway, I've always loved the 4Runner's, especially the 1st generation rigs. I've already posted this pic, but this is the truck I bought:

http://ebay.carad.com/viewItem/dsp_p.../a/04/45/c0/72

Paid $2300 for it........probably too much, but I got tired of looking around and I just decided to go for it. Only thing (for now, anyway!!) I want to do is replace the wheels (they are already coming!!!! whoooo hooooo!!), tires to white raised letter tires (not three white raised and one balck wall), remove the running boards, and then see how she looks.

Like I said, just WANTED one of the these vehicles since I can't remember when. Only gonna use it for going to Lake Michigan to the beach, a little two-tracking, getting groceries (now that could possibly get me kicked off the board!!), taking the kids to softball and soccer games........just cruisin' around.

And when winter gets here, put it in the pole barn, block it up and keep it out of the Michigan road salt.

Gotta run. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

vmax84
Old 06-20-2005, 01:24 PM

Talking

<--------STOCK
Old 06-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

vmax,

Sorry to hijack but do your kids play fastpitch or slowpitch? My girlfriend is a fastpitch pitcher so I'm really into the whole softball thing.

Just thought I'd ask.

Pretty clean lookin rig you've got there.

And you are MORE than welcome to post on here, you've got a Yota and you want to take care of it...

Fink
Old 06-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
There is another great site I've found for stock trucks. ckick here Feel free to post up newbie questions, theyre a great bunch of guys as well.
Yeah, if you decide to post over there, be sure to tell everyone you are brand new to Toyotas, that you like to ask TONS of questions and hate using the Search feature. I'm sure you'll get a great welcome!

In case you didn't catch it, sdastg1 and I are joking with you. I've never even posted at Pirate4x4 simply because of their reputation. I don't know of a single automotive forum that is more willing to flame its members. I'd stick around here and also give 4x4wire.com a look. Good people over there as well. That forum isn't nearly as busy as it once was (pre-YotaTech days), but there still are some friendly, knowledgeable people there.

Welcome!

-Sherpa

BTW, we obviously welcome newcomers, but try to remember to use the search button before asking questions. 99% of anything you could think of has probably already been discussed, so you are likely to already find good info. Don't worry if you don't, we have all been flamed for forgetting to search at one time or another! -S
Old 06-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention your new rig looks nice! At least this side looks to be in great shape for its age. I hope that even if you decide to wheel it, which is what it is made to do, that you still keep it in good condition. You don't see a whole lot of pristine 1st Gens around anymore. -S
Old 06-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by vmax84
I think you guys are mainly hardcore off-roaders, where I am an all OEM type of guy

Is this the website I should be at, or is there another that is more geared towards the "city" 4Runner owners? I enjoy this site, lots of info.......just don't want to piss you guys off with my OEM questions.

vmax84
Dont worry about it. If you have a question, ask. I too am mostly an OEM type of guy. There arent a whole lot of places to do any rock crawling here in Wisconsin and I dont own a farm, so muddin' isnt an option either.
I have a fair amount of knowledge about 4Runners in stock form, and Im sure there are others who can answer any question you may have.
Cap'n
Old 06-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Intrepid
As long as you aren't going to lower it I have no problem J/K, even then, it isn't my deal but it is kinda cool, we all have the same vehicles and no matter how much some people replace, there is still OEM stuff on the vehicle that needs work so I don't see any problem with that. Welcome.
WHAT? So youre not gonna help me lower hte Taco?

jkjk
Old 06-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm an OEM stock guy like yourself. And I don't know diddly squat about cars. Everyone here has been awesome in helping out when I have any problems...I'm on the board ALL the friggin' time now trying to soak up some knowledge from these people.

Its the best here!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:57 PM

VMAX,

Welcome to the board. Everyone is welcome here......As for the being 40 .... I will call on that and see you at plus 1 (what can I say kids today) As for the OEM vs HARD CORE....OEM wears out after time (everyting does), OEM replacement parts are getting pricey so I go after market and get the up grade....the best example is the rear coil springs in GEN2 that just let the rear sag even when un loaded.....replace with some after market and presto no sag and much better ride and it cost less than OEMs......Now you might say that you are a hard core black topper....stick around here and we will get you in the mud......Beside working on the yota is a lot more fun than shopping for golden year home.......
Old 06-20-2005, 07:39 PM

don't worry...all these guys with thier big tires and lockers and fetzer valves only need 'em 'cause they don't know how to drive...hehe...just kidding.

just wait, though...no matter how old you are...eventually you'll stray onto a dirt road...then you'll be lookin' for a little less traveled dirt road...then you'll buy a gazateer (book of topo maps) and go out in search of "jeep trails" that aren't gated or posted...next you'll hook up with some other local wheelers...

then, before you know it, you'll be like..."man, i need some bigger tires...and a locker...and..."

if you had bought a new truck for twenty some grand, you could prolly resist...but, given that you paid $2,300 for one of the best off road vehicles ever made...well, you are doomed...even if you don't want to take it off road, it will use its yota jedi mind tricks to make you drive it there one day...

nice truck, man...it looks really clean. give us some details...how many miles? what engine? stick or auto?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:50 PM

back window busted

the rear power window in my 85 4runner doesn't work. the "back door " light stays on when the tail gate is closed and the rear windshield wiper will not work as well and is hooked up. any suggestions? tried playing around with the motor.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by monkey
the rear power window in my 85 4runner doesn't work. the "back door " light stays on when the tail gate is closed and the rear windshield wiper will not work as well and is hooked up. any suggestions? tried playing around with the motor.
ummm i think you might want to start your own thread.....

anyways... Vmax, as everyone as already said, you will find alot of people here that are oem... i myself am more or less stock with just a few cosmetic mods (for now). you ideas of sticking to stock might change if you stick around long enough, i know my wallet is alot skinner and my runner is alot differnt thanks to this place

Last edited by ToferUOP; 06-20-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
ummm i think you might want to start your own thread.....
or use the search feature.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Sherpa...

"BTW, we obviously welcome newcomers..."

No one welcomed me and I'm a "newcomer", but I'll welcome you, WELCOME.

There are a great bunch of people here and this site has proven to be an invaluable source of diagnostic, upkeep and general maintenance information (the "Search" feature is particularly helpful) and this is from someone who has been ghosting this site for some time now (sorry guys) before joining it.

But do take heed of what appear to be playful jabs by the members here at your insistence that you only intend to keep your vehicle "stock", it's like some subliminal form of brainwashing or something and before you know it, you're right in the thick of it with them.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy and, hopefully, learn something along the way.

Last edited by 94x4; 06-20-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Lee doesn't go there anymore, now that he is "offroady".
How come his rig is the June winner for 4ROTM over there?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by RoySharif
How come his rig is the June winner for 4ROTM over there?
Did you see the pics? He wheeled some hardcore slippery grass, that apparently is more than anyone there does, so he is 4RoTM, now he is "offroady", to use his terminology, so he doesn't go there anymore. There was a picnic-table crawling competition but he missed it because his new mall terrains hadn't arrived yet...
Old 06-21-2005, 06:23 AM

Just your basic old 4Runner.........no a/c, 5 speed, 4 cylinder, 175,000 miles. Thanks again for the welcome.

vmax84
Old 06-21-2005, 07:35 AM

"...basic..." for now, ewww, hew, hew, ha, haa, haaa....
Old 06-21-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by vmax84
no a/c, 5 speed, 4 cylinder, 175,000 miles
that's the perfect setup. the motor is even just about broken in...
Old 06-21-2005, 12:06 PM

Hey don't let age slow ya down... My dad's pushing 50 and he is still calling Dinan monthly for toys for his Bimmer

Good luck with your new toy and welcome!

Quick Reply: I'm not sure if I fit in here.............