86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I'm New to Toyotas

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm New to Toyotas

So ya I sold my F150 this morning and i must admit I was feeling pretty down when I saw it go. but that all is better because I just picked up my 92 4Runner Sr5 a few hours ago. its got the 3.0 with a 5spd and of course its 4X4. I must say i love it! Reminds me of my 91 pathfinder only better because it has more room inside, Leather, power everything and a SUNROOF! yea I'm pretty excited about that part. so its got 275,000 miles on it, and all the interior is taken apart and sitting in the back, and the exhaust is pretty ghetto, and the rear quarter panels and the doors and front fenders have some pretty descent sized rust holes, and the back breaks don't work, all things that can be fixed fairly easily with time. All in all i can't complain because I only payed $1100 for it. So yea I just wanted to say "hi" to everyone here and ask one lil question. like i said the exhaust is pretty ghetto the guy i bought it from had cut it off before the cat and put in a cheep (enter parts store name here) muffler on it with a turn down after that, my question is what is the stock exhaust pipe diameter? and what muffler do you recommend. I don't really care if its loud, just a nice deep tone. thanks all hope you can help me out.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sweet sounding rig. post pics we tend to be pic whores. alot of people run manga flow but i've been very happy with my single chamber IMCO Performance exhaust. it was cheaper than anything else and is very throaty...
Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 PM

This is all i have for now. Its dark and cold out so I don't really wanna go out and take more
Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by the_ocho
Its dark and cold out so I don't really wanna go out and take more
It is in a parking Garage, it can't be that bad out there (used to be stationed in AK)

Looks like the 4Runner has some potential. Definitely get those back brakes fixed. Welcome to the World of Toyotas...they can be addicting..

dunno the stock exhaust diameter but Tofer gave you some good info on what has worked for others... Good luck.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Haha Yea the garage is from when I picked it up. now its sitting out in the parking lot. Weather.com gave me a Low 20s feels like 10 for tonight. i think i shall stay warm. as for the rear breaks according to the last owner i just need to replace the break line, he said when he replaced it he was careless and somehow got it plugged up with dirt and whatnot when routing. the E-brake works so logically the breaks are good. but we all know where logic comes into play in everyday life.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:55 PM

no way! another old toyota, and only one town away from me!

coincidences make the world go round.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to YT. Thats a pretty nice runner you got. A rare fully loaded 5sp! Most of them got the 3vze + Automatic package

Stock pipe size is 2 1/8" Bump it up to 2.25" if you are getting a new exhaust.
There are many muffler choices, just depends what you want it to sound like..

I wanted loud and throaty so I run a glasspack
Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by cornstalk89
no way! another old toyota, and only one town away from me!

coincidences make the world go round.
Well this one came from chaska, tho it hasn't been on the road for the last few months.

I had a Glasspack on my F150 and was fairly unimpressed with it, i liked how loud it was but i didn't think it was deep enough. But then again my f150 had 4 Cats on it that would quiet it down alot.

Oh and not only am i new to Toyotas, but in new to MN. i just moved here from California a few months ago...so if there is any suggestions for me to survive the winter they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by the_ocho
Oh and not only am i new to Toyotas, but in new to MN. i just moved here from California a few months ago...so if there is any suggestions for me to survive the winter they would be greatly appreciated.
i recommend changing the oil to 5w-30, and switching the transmission fluid over to synthetic, then it will be easier to start and run this winter.

oh and minnesota still uses salt on the roads, and toyota is known for having rust problems already, so if you have alot of rust, i would grind off whatever rust you can grind off, and use rust converter on the rest of it.

and to stay minnesota nice, you might want a tow/yank strap for ditched cars
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Im running a 5w-30 syn blend, and the drive train just got new fluids in it. i work for Valvoline so i get all my services 50% off which takes the edge off of doing a complete fluid exchange. and yea there is alot of rust. but thankfully its all body rust. the frame is super clean which is why i didnt think twice in purchasing this beast. I just gotta stuff some blankets in the rear quarter panels until i can fix the fact that from the top of the wheel well to the bottom of the quarter panel is about a 2 inch gap >:/ ill get some pics of that tomorrow. it wont be too hard to fix just cut out the rust and patch in some clean metal. the hard part will be that my welder along with most of my tools stayed in Cali.

-cornstalk- since you live in chaska i figure you would be the best person to ask. Do you know where i can pick up some sheets of metal?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:16 AM

i dont know if they just sell sheet metal, but theres a machining shop called Richlind Metal Fabricators. i myself have never gone to them, but they have been around a while, and i haven't heard anything bad from them

otherwise maybe a home improvement store, we got a home depot over here, maybe at the waconia farm supply too. to be honest i havent looked at any sheet metal, although i do need it lol.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:19 PM

this is my biggest problem. It goes all the way around the fender. the other side isn't as bad but is getting there. wont be too hard to fix tho. just got some blankets stuffed in there for now.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 PM

you could always foam it and bondo it as well, but i think sheet metal definetly is the best way to go with cancer like that.

we tried fiberglassing the holes im my cab corners, they are as bad as that, it really didnt end well.

jcwhitney.com is a good place for sheet metal, as well as most replacement parts, if anything else needs fixin.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:06 PM

2.25 Flowmaster with factory cat. sounds nice.Welcome to Yotatech.
Bigblock
Old 11-27-2008, 01:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
anytime i come across something with rust like that my price drops to $500, i hate doing rust repairs. looks like a clean truck other than the rust, good luck
Old 11-27-2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
anytime i come across something with rust like that my price drops to $500, i hate doing rust repairs. looks like a clean truck other than the rust, good luck
well this is my only real problem. and that i need to run a new rear breakline. only paid $1100

you could always foam it and bondo it as well, but i think sheet metal definetly is the best way to go with cancer like that.
If your going to do something you might as well do it to the best of your ability. I mean if you feel your truck i worth it. and honestly this is one of the nicest vehicles iv owned comfort wise. its amazing how this 92 has all the options and more than a fully loaded 97 or 2000 f150.

and what do you guys think of a flowmaster with out a cat?