Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ignitor has gone bad I think in our 87

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignitor has gone bad I think in our 87

Got a call from my dad over the weekend while I was out of town and the truck just started losing power and then dad and wouldn't fire back up. At first he thought maybe the timing chain broke because it backfired real loud and then quit but the distributor is still turning so that wouldn't be the issue.

Got the Haynes book out and it shows how to check all the stuff and ohms. All the ohms for the electronic thing in the distributor and the actual coil are within range.

I found instructions on how to test an ignitor but I believe you have to have efi because it keeps saying it sends signals from the crank sensor and the computer to the ignitor and I don't have a computer.

We pretty much figure we need it but didn't know how much one is new or that they are so hard to find used it seems.

From reading other posts, it sounds like the symptoms I have describe it just dying without no notice. Thinking about it also, I checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. There is just no fire coming from the coil.

I tried to post in the classifieds but I am not approved yet for some reason and I am in need one. Also wanted to make sure this is problem what is wrong with my truck so I wouldn't buy it and then it could be something else.

The ignitor I need is marked:

Toyota Part Number: 89620-35140

I was just hoping that somebody might have one laying around, was cheap and would like to help a fellow yota guy out. My local pull-a-part gets $18-20 with warranty for the ignitor and coil but they haven't had any trucks in long time.

I have an 87 toyota pickup 22r. From my research it looks that the ignitors were only on trucks from 85-88(maybe 84?) and I guess that the one I need is only 22r, carbureted engines?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Luckily though, my uncle has a rollback so we were able to keep from having to get it towed.