Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

IFS 7.5 V6 vs 4Cyl

Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS 7.5 V6 vs 4Cyl

My truck has 5.29's, and when i got the truck the front diff pinion nut had backed off and the pinion had fallen in destroying the the gears and bearings. I have a spare 4cyl IFS 7.5 sitting here, so my plan was to re-gear it. Money is tight right now and winter is coming, so in an effort to save $200 I plan to re use the bearings as its a front diff and only gets limited use (unless they are showing signs of damage or wear). I ordered a 5.29 gear set and minor install kit on rockauto, only issue is that when it arrived I realized that i never changed the vehicle description to a 4cyl on the site and ordered with my V6 as the vehicle description. Because I am in Canada, i don't want to return this minor install kit, and have to pay for shipping again, and I know the gear set works in both 4cyl and V6, so only the minor install kit is the issue

Basically my question is what is the difference between the 4cyl and 6cyl diffs. I know the differential bearings are bigger, but are the pinion bearings? Do i really need to get a new kit, or can I at minimum order a pinion shim kit (under $10) and use the rest of the components in the minor kit (crush sleeve, pinion nut and pinion seal)? Or are the kits really the same for 4cyl and V6 IFS?

Thanks,

Ian
Old 09-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
There's a difference in 8" difs not 7.5". Search to verify, "differences Toyota differentials".
Old 09-17-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
There's a difference in 8" difs not 7.5". Search to verify, "differences Toyota differentials".
There is a difference in the 4Cyl and V6 7.5" diff, and it is the size of the carrier bearings, larger in V6. Now that I have the diff apart, its clear that both pinion shims are the same size so I can use the kit I have. Still not sure why the minor overhaul kit says V6 only, and there is a different part number for the 4cyl and V6 minor kit, as I can see the parts are the same.

Ian

Search this Thread