Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I need help picking new hubs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need help picking new hubs.

this has been asked a million times but i need help as fast as i can get it.

i have a 88 4runner v6 with the auto locking hubs. im getting new hubs soon and a guy at work is going to help me put them on. im assuming the best thing to do would be to get manual locking hubs. so what are the best ones i can buy? also is there any kind of kit we need? or will the manual hubs just go on?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

just found this to be very helpful...

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

but what hubs should i buy? warn? aisin?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:10 AM

Aisin.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have Warn Premium, they seem pretty nice. Lifetime warranty.

Don't know if you can get Aisin new - that would be a factor for me.

Stay away from the regular Warns. I don't know anything about the MileMarker or Superwinch.

Note: Install is SUPER easy. Hardest thing is getting the wheels off! LOL
Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

i really want the warn premium ones, looked at them online. anywhere i can get them for cheaper? or should i just order from their site? also do i need an instal kit? some stuff im reading tells me i need a kit to do the swap from auto hubs to manual ones.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have the warn premium i got them at a junk yard for 30 bucks they work great
Old 03-10-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aisin hubs sit in closer to the rims, where the warns ones stick out, making them easier to catch offroad
Old 03-10-2006, 06:31 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you actually have automatic hubs, or ADD? Normally, ADD just has a splined plate that you remove and bolt the new hub in. Shouldn't need anything else.

If you have automatic hubs (rare) then you will have a lot more work I think.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

aisins

You can get aisins in the ads here. Just look for the people selling all their ifs stuff to do a SAS. I got mine from benman and he even cleaned them before he shipped them. Also, junk yards have aisins, although around where I live they wanted way too much for them. They also come up on ebay all the time for around 50.00 a set.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:28 PM

First, you must identify which oem hub system you have. If you have "automatic" hubs, they will have a black cover on them with red lettering that says "automatic".

If you have the ADD system, there will only be a small metal dustcap on the end of the hub.

If you have "automatic" hubs, you must use an adapter kit (probably from Warn) to convert to manual hubs. This is a more complicated conversion, but should come with instructions. Also, Warn has a good tech-line to call for help.

If You have the ADD system, the conversion is very easy. But, there are some little things that you should know:

Toyota used three different retaining methods for the drive hubs over the years. There was a snap ring that was somewhat inboard, or a snap ring near the end of the axle shaft, or a bolt-and-washer in the end of the axle shaft.

If you have the ADD system, first read all of these instructions and then:

1) remove the wheel.

2) remove the dustcap (a sharp chisel carefully inserted at the edge and carefully struck with a hammer will lossen the cap so it can be pryed off). Pliers will really mark-up the cap. You won't re-use these caps, but why mess them up?

3) Remove the retaining clip or the bolt-and-washer that is now visible inside the hub.

4) remove the nuts holding the hub in place.

5) If you are using Aisin hubs (and maybe some others), you will probably need to re-use the "cone" pressure washers that are in the original hub. They can be difficult to remove, but if you take that sharp chisel, and with a hammer carefully tap right at the side of the bit of the cone washer that is sticking up, they will jump right out. If you are using Warn Premium hubs, you won't need the cones.

6) slide the stock hub off of the axle.

7) slide the new inner (manual) hub onto the axle.

8) replace the nuts and washers to hold the inner hub onto the axle, and just lightly "snug" them down for now.

9) replace the retaining clip or the bolt and washer in the end of the axle shaft. DO NOT TIGHTEN THIS BOLT MORE THAN 12 FT LBS !! For some reason they are very easy to break off, and then you have to use an ez-out.

10) tighten the nuts around the outer edge of the hub to 20-25 ft lbs.

11) Attach the outer hub (with the selector dial) per their instructions.

12) check to be sure the new hubs lock and unlock properly (by turning the wheel or brake rotor and watching the axle shaft turn or not-turn).

I installed the Warn Premium hubs, rather than take a chance. They have a lifetime guarantee (like the other guy said) and there isn't any fooling around with problem-fitting. I bought mine from Garry's Automotive for $140.79 plus Priority Mail shipping, and I had them in two days. His phone number is: (419) 947-3176. He also sells on eBay, but I needed to talk with him and be sure the correct Warn hubs were in-stock (they were). I am sure he can get you the conversion kit from Warn if you have the "automatic" hubs.

I hope that someone else will help you if you have the "automatic" hubs. A guy named "Jim" at Downey Off-Road took the time to carefully explain the ADD conversion to me, so I wanted to share that with you or anyone else who can use it. I am sure that the Warn "automatic" conversion kit will have additional instructions, but someone who has actually done it might be better help.

John

'94 Toyota Truck Ext Cab (only 65k miles !!)
V-6 Auto
Tru-Trac rear diff
Warn Premium Hubs
Magnaflow Hi-Flo Cat
K&N filter
Imco muffler
Baja 15 X 7 Wheels
31 X 10.5 X 15 tires (m/s right now)
Old 03-19-2006, 03:47 PM

Talking

What's with this removing the wheels thing? My wife swapped the ADD hubs to manual Aisin hubs by herself on my dad's truck with the wheels ON, on the ground! It's so easy a GIRL can do it!!

Last edited by Radyota; 03-19-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

go with the aisins. they're OEM and a bargain. try yotayard.com
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Aisins, without a doubt. Got mine from yt member toyota parts dude,for $50.00. He also sells on ebay. Did it myself, wheels on the ground. Warns stick out way too far and Aisins are bullet-proof.
Check that spline count, because there are two types. Once you get a set, take them apart to see how they actually work (really keep an eye on those two detent balls on the end of the spring), clean them up, lube them and put them on...follow the directions in the write-up and you'll have no problems. Except maybe for the cone washers...some people here really struggled with their's. Mine popped right off.