86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I just got 25mpg

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just got 25mpg

Loaded with about 300lbs of fishing and camping gear and doing 98% highway in the rain, with only two stops, I managed to travel 345km to the halfway mark on the tank. Presuming I have a 65L tank (though I've never been able to put more than 54L in), and my odometer is roughly correct, thats 25mpg.

I spent almost all the time in 5th, at 2000-2500rpm, avoiding exceeding 90km/h (55mph) and avoiding brakes as well.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's awesome.. My best after a fill up is 22 mpg only thing I worry about with that one is your gauge being non-linear. Keep us posted on what it ends up being after you fill up.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that ain't accurate

log your hard numbers for a month, then do the simple math, and you'll be closer to reality
Old 06-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

the key to mileage is low speed, since these vehicles have have all the aerodynamics of a brick.

rumor has it they my lower the speed limit again.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:32 AM

what matt16 is not telling us... is that it was 5 gallons was in a jerry can on the bumper and he managed to go 125 miles without having to pull over and pour it into the runner.

just kidding.
seriously though, you can just judge how much gas used by the odo and fuel gauge. but let's all be hopeful that you did get close
Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 AM

I imagine that the gas gauge would indicate half fairly accurately. That's just a hunch though.

I really think the key to better gas mileage is sticking to the lowest speed you can comfortably manage in 5th gear, for me thats about 50-55 mph. At 60mph the wind noise increases dramatically and you have to keep the pedal down significantly farther.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
what matt16 is not telling us... is that it was 5 gallons was in a jerry can on the bumper and he managed to go 125 miles without having to pull over and pour it into the runner.

just kidding.
seriously though, you can just judge how much gas used by the odo and fuel gauge. but let's all be hopeful that you did get close
Busted. Guilty as charged.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:11 PM

lol. I got 26mpg going 60mph with low compression in #3 cylinder. I get 22+ all the time in town...now I don't care anymore.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by misterzee
that ain't accurate

log your hard numbers for a month, then do the simple math, and you'll be closer to reality
Yup, there's no way in hell that you can judge, guessing like that.

- Fill up tank.
- Write down mileage.
- Drive till tank is low.
- Fill up tank.
- Note how many gallons it took to fill it.
- Note current mileage
- Subtract first mileage from current mileage to get miles driven since tank was first filled.
- Divide miles driven by gallons to fill tank the 2nd time.

This is you (pretty accurate) MPG.
Do that over the course of at least 5 tanks of fuel and that'll give you a picture of what the MPG really is.

You simply can't infer anything from the fuel gauge.

Fred
Old 06-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
- Drive till tank is low.
- Fill up tank.

Fred
i don't recommend driving below 1/4 of a tank anytime, unless of course you like replacing fuel pumps, filters...
Old 06-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Priceless
i don't recommend driving below 1/4 of a tank anytime, unless of course you like replacing fuel pumps, filters...
Any why would you say that ?

Fred
Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Any why would you say that ?

Fred
I think driving til the fuel light comes on is perhaps endangering the fuel filter and pump, but I don't think it is critical to stay above 1/4.

He is saying this because you inevitably have sediment in your tank and when you're low on fuel, your sucking in crud from the bottom of the tank. Also when your low on fuel and an insufficient amount of fuel to cover the fuel intake, the fuel pump sucks in air and it overheats and fries the pump.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I think driving til the fuel light comes on is perhaps endangering the fuel filter and pump, but I don't think it is critical to stay above 1/4.

He is saying this because you inevitably have sediment in your tank and when you're low on fuel, your sucking in crud from the bottom of the tank. Also when your low on fuel and an insufficient amount of fuel to cover the fuel intake, the fuel pump sucks in air and it overheats and fries the pump.
Yes, the gasoline does cool the fuel pump, however some of you seem to think that the pump draws from the surface.
Have you ever looked and see how the pump draws ?

Fred
Old 06-07-2008, 03:30 PM

The fuel pump intake height in the tank is fixed isn't it? When there is little fuel in the tank, there's alot of sloshing around in the tank (are there even baffles?). The sloshing around stirs up crap from the bottom. That's my understanding, take it or leave it. Either way, I don't think your going to kill your fuel pump occasionally dipping into the bottom 1/4 tank.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:40 PM

The fuel pump intake height in the tank is fixed isn't it? When there is little fuel in the tank, there's alot of sloshing around in the tank (are there even baffles?). The sloshing around stirs up crap from the bottom. That's my understanding, take it or leave it. Either way, I don't think your going to kill your fuel pump occasionally dipping into the bottom 1/4 tank.
Correct, however there is a lot of "sloshing around" even it the tank is mostly full. Just think about it a while

And no, you won't kill your fuel pump even if you run completely out of fuel now and then.

Fred
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM

the pump pickup is not at the absolute bottom of the tank, nor is it anywhere near as high as 1/4 tank. sloshing and sediment injestion is normal even with a full tank, and much more prevelant with a fuel system that has a return from the engine.
all things considered, why there's a fuel filter in the system if not to remove particulate contaminants from the system?
however, the lower the fuel level, the more the fuel returned from the engine will agitate the sediments at the bottom of the tank, more so than 'sloshing', and probably more importantly, the more likely it is to cause water in the tank to become dispersed within the fuel and sent to the engine.

admittedly, with the switch to ethanol-inclusive fuels, water in the tank should become a lesser concern, but unless the fuel stations are taking steps to reduce water in the fuel it still is a concern though.

@FredTJ- running out of fuel means the engine dies and then the pump stops.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Hadn't thought of water in the tank. That means rust and water can't get though injectors.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Water sits at the bottom of the tank regardless of fuel level. The pickup is about 1/2 inch above the floor of the tank. There is a pickup screen which protects the pump from any debris in the tank. There are also baffles in the tank. The fuel is pumped thru the entire pump, electrics and all, to lubricate and cool it.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 AM

Anyways, the whole point of the thread was to stroke my own ego and perhaps help a few people get better mileage. I know that I will certainly be thinking less about the cost of fuel on fishing trips with the knowledge that I am getting as good fuel economy as the automatic Corolla in the next lane.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 AM

Anyways, the whole point of the thread was to stroke my own ego and perhaps help a few people get better mileage. I know that I will certainly be thinking less about the cost of fuel on fishing trips with the knowledge that I am getting as good fuel economy as the automatic Corolla in the next lane.
Well, until you actually measure it, you won't know anything ....

Fred

Quick Reply: I just got 25mpg