86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I could almost cry.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I could almost cry.....

or laugh depending on how you look at it.

I've done some extensive work on my 86 22re trying to find out what the deal is with that idle and number 4 not firing.

When I Seafoamed it my neighbor mentioned that he thought he saw some liguid running out of the gasket area between the intake and the head. So we fired her back up and I sprayed WD40 around the are in a light mist and since the engine didn't "ramp up" like any good F**d or CH**y would I assumed (we all know that word) that the gasket was good.

This afternoon I did the valve adjustment and although the intake clearance on number 4 was in need of adjustment it made no difference when it was all finished. On a whim I fired it back up and crawled underneath with my WD40 can. I sprayed a stream at the area that we thought the intake leak was and to my surprise I actually watched the fluid being pulled into the area between the head and the intake. Well that solves one problem.

So after metering the AFM and TPS, replacing plugs, wires, cap, rotor, one injector, eliminating the DP, adjusting the valves, doing a compression check and pulling my hair out it seems I've had an intake leak since I bought the truck. Tomorrow we'll see if that little gasket fix will help number 4 start doing it's job.

My neighbors response is "well now at least you know that everything else is fixed".

Oh and on a better note I got to shoot my first bolt action .50 cal today. That thing knocked the crap out of me.

Thanks to all of you that helped and special thanks to 4crawler for his site. I think I logged some frequent veiwers miles on that thing.

Last but not least, any of you newbies that think you can't do your own work..... try it! The 22re is terrible easy to get into once you get past the fear of computer crap and wires all over the place.

Laters cats!!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
High five, Junker. It seems everyone learns the hard way...through miscalculations.... that wrenching these things is not as nebulous and scary as it seems at first. Also, what NOT to do the next time!..lol!

I'm still in the process of my first entire rebuild (I've done top and front ends before, but not bottom ends) and I chuckle at how intimidated I was at first. But, I can see myself in the future doing it alot quicker and an even better job.

EFI stuff is still kinda frustrating and requires study on how it all works...sensors, switches, ECU's, etc., but even then once you begin understanding it, it's also easy. Troubleshooting is the most frustrating (as you've learned) because there's a number of things...mechanical or electrical....that can cause the same damn symptoms.

The good thing is, since most of what we all have is older vehicles, you find things that needed TLC anyway. Once you're done, if you did it right, it runs great and you're a happy camper for a while. You know how the job was done, that parts that went into to it, and, as a result, more of what to expect from your vehicle in the future. AND!...you're much more equipped to deal with it. Mechanically and psychologically.

Word to the Yota, homey! Congrats.