Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hunting Idle After Some Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hunting Idle After Some Work

Not sure if I should have posted this in my other thread about the cam chain replacement...

I just finished replacing the cam chain guides, coolant flush and set the timing with the Te1 and E1 jumped. Started it up with the jumper in place and it idled normally, shut the truck off, removed the jumper and fired it back up and it's hunting/fluctuating (see video). No check engine light, oil pressure is good. Coolant level seems good but I'm in the middle of a flush, only distilled water is in it right now.

Thoughts?

Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM

Ok, I turned it back on and it's stopped doing it, then did it again and then stopped. The idle seemed to be slightly varying and some low noises were coming from the airbox, then abruptly stopped. And NOW the hood won't come back up (I closed it to move the truck). I'm pulling the latch but it's not popping up, haha. This is hilarious.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:56 PM

Looks like my hood latch cable is just stretched, I'll fix that later.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Is this oil pressure normal for this RPM? This is where it's idling. If I rev it up the oil pressure rises. Oil on dipstick is showing just past the full mark.

Last edited by Davebarbier; 10-27-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Crap, it didn't upload the picture properly...

Is this oil pressure acceptable for this RPM?
Attached Thumbnails Hunting Idle After Some Work-photo180.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 05:01 PM

I should have referred to the OM first, doh. That usually answers questions.
Attached Thumbnails Hunting Idle After Some Work-photo4294966619.jpg  
Old 10-28-2015, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My idle did the same after a flush. A glob of rtv got stuck in the IAC valve. That what caused mine to jump.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by kcaudill
My idle did the same after a flush. A glob of rtv got stuck in the IAC valve. That what caused mine to jump.
Ah, idle air control valve, I'll check that for sure. But it seems to go back and forth from surging idle to idling smoothly. I'll have to finish the coolant flush and fill and do more tests to see if it's an actual issue.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine started out that way, ran fine then surge, fine then surge. It finally just stay at the surge. popped off a hose and nothing came out. took off and found a glob of rtv. cleaned reinstalled and all is good.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:23 AM

Finally able to do more work/diagnosing. When the truck is first started it runs fine, as it warms up a bit it starts surging then after it completely warms up it seems to stop. There's really good heat in the cabin. Engine temp and oil pressure is normal.

I removed the IAC hoses and they're clean and clear. I didn't completely remove the IAC. Is that a problem? I don't have a manual right now and I can't really see what bolts to remove to take it off. Am I stupid for not removing it?
Old 10-31-2015, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect you've got bubbles/air in your coolant system. I just did this yesterday and I rushed my coolant into the truck cause it was getting dark. When I started it up it ran fine til the temp got to normal range, then rpm did EXACTLY what yours is doing.

Take your rad cap off after truck has sat and cooled off.
Top up the rad.
Start the truck and run it for ~15 mins
Top off rad again if needed
Put rad cap on
Fill up resevoir

You should be good at this point. Just keep an eye on reservoir level
Old 11-01-2015, 03:29 AM

Thanks Lzryde. I'll see how it goes this morning. That sounds like something that it could be. I did feel that it wasn't fully bled. Any other methods? I'm filling it up through the radiator while the thermostat housing is off and waiting until I see it come up. Then popping the TS and housing back on and filling it the rest of the way. Running the engine and just topping it off as it lowers. I wish there were like actual bleeder valves at the high points like on calipers.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lzryde
I suspect you've got bubbles/air in your coolant system. I just did this yesterday and I rushed my coolant into the truck cause it was getting dark. When I started it up it ran fine til the temp got to normal range, then rpm did EXACTLY what yours is doing.

Take your rad cap off after truck has sat and cooled off.
Top up the rad.
Start the truck and run it for ~15 mins
Top off rad again if needed
Put rad cap on
Fill up resevoir

You should be good at this point. Just keep an eye on reservoir level
I don't want to jump the gun just yet but I think you're right on. I started it up this morning and so far the idle is rock steady all throughout the warm up period. I have to do a couple more flushes and keep an eye on it, though. But thanks!
Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Davebarbier
Thanks Lzryde. I'll see how it goes this morning. That sounds like something that it could be. I did feel that it wasn't fully bled. Any other methods?
Nothing new- Look at post #4 in this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...oblems-288594/

^ Make sure the heaters heat selector is in the full hot position with the blower off. Look at the valve on the firewall and make sure it is wide open. It's easy to adjust and sometimes the adjustment is slightly off.

The combination of jacking the front wheels way up in the air and the use of a Lisle No Spill Funnel does wonders. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...bottle-291588/

Last edited by Odin; 11-01-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Odin
Nothing new- Look at post #4 in this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...oblems-288594/

^ Make sure the heaters heat selector is in the full hot position with the blower off. Look at the valve on the firewall and make sure it is wide open. It's easy to adjust and sometimes the adjustment is slightly off.

The combination of jacking the front wheels way up in the air and the use of a Lisle No Spill Funnel does wonders. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...bottle-291588/

Thanks Odin, I might go ahead and get one of those funnels. I think I'm good to go, though. Truck's idle doesn't surge and the temp is normal. I can't be sure if every bubble is out of the system, but the reservoir is full so if it needs it I hope it'll take from there.