86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HUGE missing issues with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUGE missing issues with A/C

Hey fellas, I looked around and did not find anything else similar to my issue, so I thought I would post and hopefully get some advice.

92 4x4 22RE, about 235K

Truck runs great/perfectly unless a/c is on AND also for a while after a/c is turned off.

If the a/c is on and I give it any more than about 15% throttle, it misses VERY badly. Basically, it falls right on its face. I have an AFM on it and when it misses, it is LEAN as hell. It's falls on its face really badly....as if the fuel pump is cutting out. However, this only happens when the ac is on, or for about 5 minutes after I turn it off. Fricken STRANGE!

It will even do the same thing under no load (parked). wtf??

Being as this only happens when the ac is on, and shortly after it is turned off, I would venture to guess it is related to the ac circuit somehow. Just not sure what to check. I am stumped.

As part of routine maint. and "upgrades", etc, the follow has been changed recently:

AF Meter is newer (bought a Supra one)
Fuel pump replaced a couple months ago
Newer coil, TPS, fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc.

Again, the truck runs perfectly when I do not turn on the a/c. NOt one single miss, etc. PERFECT. Hit the a/c button and she pisses and moans at me. Also, even after I turn off the a/c, it will continue to heavily miss for a while. I'm baffled.

Any ideas?

TIA fellas....
Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to report the issue has been resolved.

I am posting this as it may help somebody else with a similar issue.

The problem was the coil and or ignitor. I am assuming the reason this seemed to be triggered by a/c operation is heat. Once the coil/ignitor got a bit more heat soaked, it started to act up.

edit: The way my mechanic finally figured this intermitent issue out was to let the truck run for a while and get it nice and hot. Then, after it would start missing, he poured cool water on the ignitor. The miss disappeared after a few seconds. Thus, ignitor was "too hot" and screwing up. Truck has not missed once since fixed (many months ago).

Although the coil/ignitor assembly is over $600 new, I was able to find a junkyard one for $65. Problem solved. Truck runs great now, even better than before (without the issue). I suspect the coil/ignitor was failing all along. My no-load higher rpm miss is gone, it doesn't crank as long when starting, and runs like a top.

Last edited by tgergen; 01-06-2011 at 07:50 AM.