Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

how to sepperate the transfer case from the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to sepperate the transfer case from the transmission

Hi all i am trying to get the case off of the trans with no luck my book has for very vauge steps to do so it wont come off of the trans i have both the trans and tcase out on the bench one big piece i searched here with no luck worded it all kinds of ways

truck is a auto 3.0 1989 year

Thanks
JC
Old 09-16-2008, 04:43 PM

Mine had significant amount of RTV. I used a rubber deadblow hammer and beat the snot out of it at various angles/spots till it loosened up and finally released the seal.

***EDIT: disregard this post, I was thinking of a different tran/tcase combo. Judging by other posts, this is a different beast.

Last edited by mrdoug; 09-17-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:52 PM

the bolts as in the two (2) one on each side at the lower bottom corner? that is all i see it looks like there are bolts on the inside that can only be reached by taking the tcase apart or they are pins ??

JC
Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM

This help any?

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/transfer/4removalo.pdf
Old 09-16-2008, 05:06 PM

I really hate to be the guy to tell you this but yes you have to disassemble the entire t-case. And dont think of it as a nice simple t-case with gears and such. Nope it is basically a mini automatic transmission with clutches and a valve body.

Yes I know it sucks

Edit: Its a shame how much bad tech gets kicked around this board these days

Last edited by 4rnr; 09-16-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:09 PM

that is basicly what my book says and the pics are what i have done but niether the pics nor my book say how many bolts there are or show where they are i have pulled 2 bolts from the bottom side of the tcase where it mates to the transmission

JC
Old 09-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those transfer cases are "married" to the transmission and they share fluid so make sure you drain ALL fluid before attempting to separate or it will be messy.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM

thanks for the heads up all ready done been working on trucks for some time just been doing the us made one this is my first import i think i have the bolts out that the manual and the link i was set refer to i guess it is just the RTV on there sticking them together

JC
Old 09-16-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
I really hate to be the guy to tell you this but yes you have to disassemble the entire t-case. And dont think of it as a nice simple t-case with gears and such. Nope it is basically a mini automatic transmission with clutches and a valve body.

Yes I know it sucks

Originally Posted by bigazdiesel
thanks for the heads up all ready done been working on trucks for some time just been doing the us made one this is my first import i think i have the bolts out that the manual and the link i was set refer to i guess it is just the RTV on there sticking them together

JC
Thanks for reminding me why I DONT come to this board anymore
Old 09-16-2008, 05:40 PM

Yes I know it sucks

SORRY YOU POSTED AS I POSTED MISSED YOURS

if this is true then why dose none of the info on the web say so or even the stupid book that everyone tells you to get ??? it says

1 Remove the transmission assembly. On some models it will be necessary to remove the breather hose between the transmission control retainer and the transfer case upper cover.

2 Remove the rear engine mount from the case. remove the dynamic damper if one is present.

3 Remove the upper drive shaft dust cover.

4 Remove the transfer case adapter rear mounting bolts,then pull the transfer case straight up and remove it.

says nothing about taking apart a very complex transfer case that more than likely requires special tools

JC
Old 09-16-2008, 05:42 PM

and why is this ??

JC
Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 PM

..... Anyone else wonder how much sand is in this guys Vaj?

The board exist for people of greater knowledge to help people of lesser knowledge and to work together as a community to achieve greater things.. Why wouldnt you want to share things like "taking apart the complicated transfer" if you know them, as long as it would help??
Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if this is true then why dose none of the info on the web say so or even the stupid book that everyone tells you to get ??? it says

1 Remove the transmission assembly. On some models it will be necessary to remove the breather hose between the transmission control retainer and the transfer case upper cover.

2 Remove the rear engine mount from the case. remove the dynamic damper if one is present.

3 Remove the upper drive shaft dust cover.

4 Remove the transfer case adapter rear mounting bolts,then pull the transfer case straight up and remove it.

says nothing about taking apart a very complex transfer case that more than likely requires special tools

JC
That looks like to me the instructions for removing a transfer case from a manual tranny (I could be wrong). The auto (A340H) tranny/transfer case is a completely different animal.

Edit: I've never tried to take a A340H TC off though. Inchworm makes an adapter to replace the A340H TC with a gear driven TC, so you might find some good instructions on thier site.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...fer+case+mount

http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=86

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-16-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Slednutjetskier

The board exist for people of greater knowledge to help people of lesser knowledge and to work together as a community to achieve greater things.. Why wouldnt you want to share things like "taking apart the complicated transfer" if you know them, as long as it would help??

kind of my thinking thought i said something wrong

JC
Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That looks like to me the instructions for removing a transfer case from a manual tranny. The auto (A340H) tranny/transfer case is a completely different animal.

Edit: I've never tried to take a A340H TC off though. Inchworm makes an adapter to replace the A340H TC with a gear driven TC, so you might find some good instructions on thier site.

that is the only info in the book for transfer case and is the same as the link i was sent in a above post it shows picks of a auto trans and tcase

JC

Thanks
JC
Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that is the only info in the book for transfer case and is the same as the link i was sent in a above post it shows picks of a auto trans and tcase

JC

Thanks
JC
I could be wrong, see my edit above.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Name:  AUTOTCASE.jpg
Views: 6026
Size:  91.8 KB
Name:  4runner487.jpg
Views: 3147
Size:  79.0 KB
Old 09-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Slednutjetskier

um numb nuts....... 4rnr did explain that the transfer case did not come apart and would have to be dissassembled like it was. Then people continued to comment on removing the transfer case that clearly had NO BUSINESS commenting on removing the transfer case for an auto. Hence the comment of how bad tech gets kick around on the board. From observing this thread, he has a very good point IMO.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 PM

The instructions you have and the instructions everyone else gave you (before I posted) were for a manual. Even though you stated clearly you have an auto.

I have taken apart this trans (a340h) and installed the inchworm dual case adapter and ran that until I did a 3.4 swap and now I run my duals behind the (a340f)

Its a major PITA to pull that t-case off. Does it have to be done? What are you trying to do?

As for my remark about this board and its lack of accurate tech, well besides this perticular post,....Ah forget it, I dont want to get into it.

Let me know if you want info on taking that biotch apart.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I could be wrong, see my edit above.

read both links neither have any info on how to take the case off of the trans I guess i will smack it in the morning with he ole rubber mallet and see if i can get it to pop loose the instuctions say to lift straight up to remove that has me a bit confused usally is is straight back ? when pulling a case from a trans unless they asume you have this thing standing up on the bell housing ?

Thanks
JC

Quick Reply: how to sepperate the transfer case from the transmission