86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How much backpressure should I have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much backpressure should I have?

I put an aftermarket exhaust on about a year ago at the local muffler shop. While we were working on it, we noticed that the cat had been hollowed out, no baffles. I just went with the El Cheapo exhaust that was recommended, and ran 1 3/4" exhaust.

My question is: Do I really need to have a new cat (other than for environmental purposes) or will it be fine to go without? I assume some backpressure is needed, but how much?

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 AM

Your truck does not /need/ a cat to run. IOW, it's not providing any function specifically to make the engine run well. You need a cat to keep the air clean and having a good one has a minimal affect on your performance, so there's just no reason to hollow them out or remove them.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh god. Not another back pressure thread. Short answer is that it depends on the cam profile.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it depends on more than your cam profile.
Corky Bell had a good book that gave rule of thumb on power and exhaust size required... Short answer is that for a 100-120hp 2.4L motor, you don't need huge exhaust.
The recommended size is no more than 2.25". That little exhaust system isn't optimal, but it's probably not killing you either.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:59 AM

from a performance stand point it would be worth noting that a Cat actually increases exhaust temperature (by burning off the extra fuel) and hot exhaust gas flows faster than cold.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:30 AM

I didn't hollow the cat out myself, and I think from a moral standpoint the benefits are there. I just found out that my 87' Runner has a pre-1985 22R and I'm trying to squeaze the best performance out of it as I can. Sorry to start up a thread that's probably gone around the block a few times . I did the search, didn't find my answer, and that's what you guys are here for.

Much appreciated!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ganoid
from a performance stand point it would be worth noting that a Cat actually increases exhaust temperature (by burning off the extra fuel) and hot exhaust gas flows faster than cold.

Problem with this is, while your statement is true, the cat is a big enough obstruction to not allow the hotter gas to expel any faster from the engine. Simplest way to do this with a straight exhaust would be to use exhaust wrap from the header to the muffler, keeping the hot gases in and trapping the heat for faster flow.

you DO NOT want to add things to create backpressure, EVER. Backpressure is bad. Some people will say some is okay......for the health of the motor, it's bad.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM

You do though want some back pressure on an engine. Especially 22-r(e), if you do not have any back pressure you will have no low-end torque. Few months back my exhaust split in half at the neck in the down pipe, resulting in no back pressure. Not only was insanly loud but I got really bad gas mileage and it barely got up normal hills. Believe me back pressure is needed.

I now run a 4 into 1 header with hollowed out cat, and a normal muffler. In the engine I have a 260* cam with the head ported and polished and with O/S valves. I get excellent low end power.

Last edited by Zealot; 07-06-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zealot
You do though want some back pressure on an engine. Especially 22-r(e), if you do not have any back pressure you will have no low-end torque. Few months back my exhaust split in half at the neck in the down pipe, resulting in no back pressure. Not only was insanly loud but I got really bad gas mileage and it barely got up normal hills. Believe me back pressure is needed.

I now run a 4 into 1 header with hollowed out cat, and a normal muffler. In the engine I have a 260* cam with the head ported and polished and with O/S valves. I get excellent low end power.
Well, this shouldn't even be a problem, 22-RE's have no torque anyway. jk. But in all seriousnes, don't go puttin a 3 inch cherry bomb on a 22RE. You should stick with a 2.25. I have a 3.slow, and headers, and hi flow cat, and flowmaster all the way back, and i run 2.5 inch. Flows just great. I would hollow my cat out for more MPG, more torque, more HP and deeper sound. Cats do obstruct your exhaust tone. Check for a sensor after the cat. too.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Your cat does ALOT as far as reducing emissions... none of us can pretend like that's not our responsibility.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:18 AM

First off 1.75" is way to small, for being concerned about performance gains.... The best setup for the 22R(E) is 2.25" pipe, with a 2.25" cat and 2.25" muffler. Get a carsound(magnaflow) cat of summit for like 55 bucks, and a then go to a shop and have a full 2.25" exhaust made with that cat, and a good muffler. That will yield you the best results as far as improvements and increased efficacy..

If nothing else put a decent cat back on, the effect on performance isn't noticeable, and they really do work..
Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

if you get a crush bent exhaust, get 2.5" diameter piping, as the crush bends SEVERELY reduce the diameter of the pipe.

No, ideally, you want NO backpressure. Backpressure is bad, it can ruin valves, mmmkay?

2.25" with a high flow cat and a good high flow muffler will do wonders for economy and power.

Eventually I'll buy headers for my 3vz and get rid of this flowmaster muffler and run a 2.5" mandrel bent setup all the way back ( I have mandrel bends left over from my turbo car days...so I'll just fab it myself). Probably get a nice magnaflow muffler for it.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:31 AM

Back pressure is bad on any motor
needing back pressure is an old wives tell. It came from people putting larger exhaust pipes on their cars & loosing tq. The loss is due to the loss of scavaging not loss of back pressure.
Exhaust works in pulses with a vacuum in between each one.
The captions below are based on piping sizes for an Integra but you get the idea

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

Last edited by NC-B17A; 07-09-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 AM

Well, yeah... but backpressue is the commonly misused term

Nice diagram
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
but backpressue is the commonly misused term
What is the right definition, then?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:22 AM

Commonly its referd to the proper amount of backpressure, when really you want the proper amount of flow.....
Old 07-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NC-B17A
Back pressure is bad on any motor
Isn't this what I said? lol.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
From http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm
Do Mufflers "Make" Horsepower?

The answer, simply, is no. The most efficient mufflers can only employ the same scavenging effect as a header, to help slightly overcome the loss of efficiency introduced into the system as back pressure. But I have yet to see an engine that made more power with a muffler than an open header exhaust.

Again, you may hear a few SPMT's (Self-Proclaimed Master Technicians) tell you that "Borla mufflers make horsepower!" Or "An engine needs some backpressure to run properly!" Nonsense. A muffler can no more "make" horsepower than Wile E. Coyote can catch roadrunners. Any technician with any dyno experience will tell you that the best mufflers are no mufflers at all!
Good stuff, thanks NC-B17A.

This is why I have no muffler. I wouldn't have a cat either, but it's too loud without it. I've taken it off a few times for kicks.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-09-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DaveInDenver
What is the right definition, then?

What you are looking for is a balance. You want a small enough pipe to keep your VELOCITY up so you can take full affect of the scavenging aspect of your exhaust design. If your pipe is too big you get reduced velocity and a reduction in scavenging. If you pipe is too small you get "Back pressure".

In response to a cat adding to much restriction to an exhaust system its pretty common knowledge that a modern cat will not add any significant resistance (back pressure) to an exhaust system. But it will keep exhaust temps high enough to be a performance value however slight.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
From http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

Good stuff, thanks NC-B17A.

This is why I have no muffler. I wouldn't have a cat either, but it's too loud without it. I've taken it off a few times for kicks.
Sure, but do you run in the 4500+ rpm range? The exhaust with a muffler has a better bottom end, thou maybe a few less hp at redline....

I have run open header on a 22RE and the performance sucked compared to a header with a cat and good muffler.

Quick Reply: How much backpressure should I have?