86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here we go again

yet another problem to add to the list of the saga of my POS truck. i'm about 90% sure it's a blown starter. i went to start my truck (it cranks for awhile before starting cuz i have a pinhole leak in my gas line)(i was hoping to wait until spring and warm weather to fix it properly). anyways, it's cranking for a few seconds, i stop. crank it a few more seconds, i stop. i think on the 3rd time, everything goes dead. no radio, no lights, no clock, no blower, no starter crank, no ANYTHING electrical.

normally, if you turn the key without pressing the clutch, all the power goes out, the lights go out, the radio goes out, cuz the truck is preparing to use the power to turn the starter, right? but when you let the key go, everything comes back on, right? what's happening here is that when i turn the key on, i have lights, radio, clock, etc. until i try to start it. it does the single click (relay click, i'm assuming), all the power goes off, and STAYS off when i release the key until i turn the key all the way off and all the way back on.

so like i said, i'm 90% sure it's the starter, but i'm 10% worried i have an electrical issue. the battery terminals are extremely covered in corrosion. i couldn't take the screw out to clean them up, so i soaked them with PB while i came inside to write this. what do you think?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
bad ignition switch is a possibility. The different positions of the switch have a different number of contacts, when you move the switch from one position to the next, depending on which contacts are closed, different accessories will be powered up as you know. When going to the "START" position, most accessories are not powered up. If your ignition contacts are worn, it might cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Take the switch out and you can test it with an ohm-meter.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello ayoung101,

You may not have a bad starter. So, don't assume that just yet. Like GS said, it could be the switch. But, you could also have some bad wiring in the fuse/main relay box. It'd be a simple to check there/make a visual.

For your pinhole, I know you've been dealing with that for a while, but maybe consider patching it with a piece of rubber fuel line, for now. I've had to that fairly recently to the pressure line coming off the gas tank/fuel pump bracket. I doubled up some hose clamps at each end. It's been working just fine with no leaks. That would be easy and cheap. Hell, and to be honest, it's been patched like that for several years with no issues. It's just now the press. line is completely gone whereas before, up until recently, I had it patched from the press line to the hard line.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Hello ayoung101,

You may not have a bad starter. So, don't assume that just yet. Like GS said, it could be the switch. But, you could also have some bad wiring in the fuse/main relay box. It'd be a simple to check there/make a visual.

For your pinhole, I know you've been dealing with that for a while, but maybe consider patching it with a piece of rubber fuel line, for now. I've had to that fairly recently to the pressure line coming off the gas tank/fuel pump bracket. I doubled up some hose clamps at each end. It's been working just fine with no leaks. That would be easy and cheap. Hell, and to be honest, it's been patched like that for several years with no issues. It's just now the press. line is completely gone whereas before, up until recently, I had it patched from the press line to the hard line.
i'll have to check the fuse/relay box. do you know which one it is? i'm not sure how neither my owner's manual nor my repair manual tell you which one it is, but they don't. all i know is that it has a relay (der), according to the wiring diagram in the back of the repair manual. nowhere does it say where it is located or which relay it might be. wtf?

as for the fuel line, the line is brand new, i'm sure that part doesn't have the leak. it's the part that is on the fuel pump side of the flex hose right at the tank. there's a little metal 90* line that comes out of the fuel pump that is rusted to all hell. i wasn't careful the first time i put the tank in and so i cracked it. when i re-dropped the tank i decided to try JB weld. it worked. for awhile. i'm still ok with waiting till spring to fix it properly. i'm not a fan of doing car work in the freezing ass michigan winter. but for now, i just gotta get the darn thing to turn over.

Last edited by ayoung101; 01-08-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The main fuse panel is the one under the hood, behind the battery.

Neither my 88 or 91 dim anything when you turn the key to start so it sounds like your battery connections are bad- you've tried cleaning them so how did that turn out? You might be able to take a pair of pliers and wiggle the terminals to make a better connection. It's also possible your battery is dying and trying to start is drawing too much power which, if that's the case, you may be able to jump start it.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM

mine has always dimmed, even before it had its first issue. there wasn't a starter relay in that box, or at least it wasn't labeled as such.

anyways, i got it to start, repeatedly. but i did NOTHING. i soaked the terminals with PB, but i still can't get them to budge, not with a wrench, screwdriver, or even pliers. whenever i change the battery, i'm going to have to use my handy dandy dremel tool. should be fun.

still worried about the problem though. since i did nothing, i'm guessing i got a relay or a solenoid dying. and most likely it'll leave me stranded someplace other than home the next time it happens. unless of course spraying it with the PB cleaned the connection just enough to get it to fire. either way i need to replace the terminals.

Originally Posted by abecedarian
The main fuse panel is the one under the hood, behind the battery.

Neither my 88 or 91 dim anything when you turn the key to start so it sounds like your battery connections are bad- you've tried cleaning them so how did that turn out? You might be able to take a pair of pliers and wiggle the terminals to make a better connection. It's also possible your battery is dying and trying to start is drawing too much power which, if that's the case, you may be able to jump start it.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing to try before looking for bad wiring - check the battery connections/ connections to the starter. may just be loose.