86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help With Upper Idler

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help With Upper Idler

Ok, a little background. 92 3VZ MT. Replaced TB/WP/Pulleys 20K ago. Over the past 5K I have noticed what seems to be a noisy bearing. I couldn't pinpoint it, but suspected the dummy water pump or viscous fan hub. Replaced the fan hub with a new Aisin, no change in noise but the old one was due to go. I don't have a stethoscope, so used the long screwdriver & hunted around until a put it on the radiator hose end of the upper pulley. My head was physically moving on the screwdriver & the coolant was shaking in the radiator as I took the cap off to have a look. So I think I found the problem. I removed the TB cover & all looks well but I suspected that the upper bearing would at least have some slop in it. All I can get is about 1mm front to back movement. it doesn't "crunch" when I spin it (TB is still on & I can spin with my hand enough to hear/feel problems but is still under some tension from belt) From all of the collective experience here, is there anything that comes to mind, other than the idler? Is that much play enough to cause that level of vibration? If the belt was off, would I get more play? A mechanic friend, not familiar with the 3.0, listened & said definitely not internal, so that's something I guess. He also said that he would not drive it with that sort of vibration as I was due to go up the beach for a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am by no means a mechanic, just handy at best when I have the FSM.
Thanks,
Steve (from Aus)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:38 PM

No-one has any thoughts?
Old 01-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
1mm of play is WAY TOO MUCH. New they have none. I have 2 used ones that have over 200K miles use each. Neither one has close to 1mm of play. Barely any play detectable on the worst one(.25mm at best).

I can't say for sure if that's what's causing the vibration. But it seems like there's a chance it could be.

Just keep throwing money at it. That's what I do. You'll get it eventually.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:39 AM

Hey MudHippy,
thanks for the reply. Idler was a Koyo, which I think are reputable. Thought I may as well do the valve cover gaskets & all associated bits at the same time. That idler is much easier to get to with the plenum off. Just wondering if I should replace the TB & other idler as they are only 20K old. Don't want to tackle that crank bolt again if I don't have to.
Thanks Again.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah...I guess they're cheap enough. It's the upper idler that's spendy(for a good one).