86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help realigning bolts behind starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help realigning bolts behind starter

Hey folks. In my 1995 3.0 extended cab, I foolishly removed four bolts behind the starter in order to create more room to remove the starter. Once I removed the fourth and final bolt to what I thought was just a metal bracket, my truck dropped about an inch, to just enough that now I cannot get the holes back in alignment. I tried raising both front tires independently (haven't tried the rear yet) thinking that would create enough leverage to realign the bolt holes; unfortunately that didn't work. Anybody have any ideas about what to try?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Engine mounts ?

Looks like the engine mounts from here. To get those back in you will have to raise the engine.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Put the jack under the engine pan and lift. Also there is a panel in the wheel well that you can remove to get more room.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Looks like the engine mounts from here. To get those back in you will have to raise the engine.
That's what I was afraid of! Too bad I gave away my father's cherry-picker a while ago. I'll have tackle this on Saturday and report back. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
Put the jack under the engine pan and lift. Also there is a panel in the wheel well that you can remove to get more room.
Thanks for the advice, I'll do some poking around tomorrow to see what you mean. I'm doing this solo and outdoors, so every new step feels many times greater in difficulty than it should. Plus intermittent rain doesn't help.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just be glad you did not get any fingers crushed !!

I don`t know if it is easier to remove the nut on the frame side then get the 4 bolts started on the block .

Allowing the engine Mount more movement
Old 10-27-2017, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah what a headache. I think when I did my starter I bought about three feet worth of 3/8th inch extensions and a swivel head and I took the starter out by sitting in front of the truck, in front of the bumper indian style. Similar situation with the back, I took it out way back. No additional bolts needed to be removed for clearance.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just be glad you did not get any fingers crushed !!

I don`t know if it is easier to remove the nut on the frame side then get the 4 bolts started on the block .

Allowing the engine Mount more movement
Thanks, I’ll take a closer look to see what you mean.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 89fourrunner
Ah what a headache. I think when I did my starter I bought about three feet worth of 3/8th inch extensions and a swivel head and I took the starter out by sitting in front of the truck, in front of the bumper indian style. Similar situation with the back, I took it out way back. No additional bolts needed to be removed for clearance.
Removing the bolts wasn’t as much a problem considering everything else (working outside, zero mise-en-place, etc).

Getting that darn starter out and in was a total pain. Basically, the starter should be rotated opposite the direction that it’s installed. Raising the passenger side wheel provides inches of extra vertical clearance; I know this because my work light kept falling out of the wheel well when doing so. Pursuing greater horizontal clearance is what got me in this mess!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:27 PM

Red face

After you do so many you get your own system of doing it .
Old 10-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Solved! I was able to gently raise the motor with my floor jack by placing a 2x4 buttressed by 4x4 beneath, directly on the oil pan. I had to remove one 14mm bolt holding a shock that was blocking my access. Thank you to everyone who responded.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:17 AM

Red face

I would venture you have a little oil leak
Old 10-29-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I would venture you have a little oil leak
Oil-leak shaming! I was afraid of this! Decided to post the pictures anyway in order to possibly help others in the future. Oil leaks have been an ongoing problem for the entire 16 years I’ve owned the pickup. Love the truck regardless.