86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with new 88 P/U

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with new 88 P/U

I finally found a good deal and picked up a 88 P/U woth 7000 mile engine. Ive owned multiple 3rd and 4th gen 4runners but always wanted a older pickup. I had a few question i could find answers for after looking for a few days.

1. The truck has a weber carb i believe a 32/36. It runs pretty well. Although sometimes when cold i have to give it some gas to get it started and keep tapping the gas to keep it running for a few seconds. It doesnt happen everytime just sometimes. Would just tunning the carb and adjusting timing fix this or just kind of how the motors can be?

2. I ordered a fuel regulator as ive read this will also help make the vehicle run better to get it around 2.5-3psi. Could this help the issue above?

3. I also was looking at ordering a idle cutoff solenoid as i get some dieseling when i cut it off. I have read people say it does help and it doesnt... anyone have insight on this? Or should timing and tuning carb fix this?

4. I am sure if the torsion bars are cranked. Does anyone have pictures of the torsion bars installed cranked or stock? I am unfamiliar with torsion bars so looking to compare to mine. I like the height of the front and ride isnt really bad for a older truck, the rear is just about 4" lower. My front center hub to fender is 26" and rear center hub to fender is 22".

5. Ive read multiple problems with dash lights not working. Usually it turned out to be fuse,dimmer switch, or they hooked the radio up to dimmer wire. I have checked all of that and they are good. My taillights, hvac controls, warning lights, turn signal lights all work the only thing that doesnt is dash and cabin light(i think is just a bulb). The dimmer does also dim the hvac controls so i know that is good. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for anyone who read through the long post and can help me out.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
1. That behavior is common with the Weber 32/36. Most common problems with these carbs are-
A. Crap adapter plates that cause vacuum leaks.
B. Following the proper adjustment procedure is key to making these run right.
C. Fuel pressure needs to be around 2.5 psi which I see you are addressing. I highly recommend using a Holley regulator with gauge.
D. Most people tend to toss the thermal spacer that goes between the carb and the intake manifold. This spacer is to keep the carb from heat soaking. With today's fuels when the carb gets hot it will boil the fuel in the bowl, I have seen this first had. It can cause goofy hot restarts too. Either find a used one or make your own.
E. Due to the mechanical fuel pump these engines use, if you let the truck sit for more than a few days, it will take a lot of cranking to get it to fire off and run. This is due to the fuel evaporating out of the fuel bowl and it takes a bit for the fuel to get from the tank up to the carb. I haven't yet installed it yet but I plan ob running a low pressure electric Carter fuel pump instead of the mechanical pump.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Congrats... nice truck!
I fought with a stinking webber for 3 years...
replaced it with a 500 Holley...
going by the bed of your truck it doesn't look too be sagging very much... measuring the fender wells isn't a good indication of the truck's stance as they differ significantly.... look closely at the body lines... it was designed to look lower in the rear... maybe it makes it look faster? Didn't really help... its still a pretty slow truck lol

Last edited by 87-4runner; 03-09-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superex87
1. That behavior is common with the Weber 32/36. Most common problems with these carbs are-
A. Crap adapter plates that cause vacuum leaks.
B. Following the proper adjustment procedure is key to making these run right.
C. Fuel pressure needs to be around 2.5 psi which I see you are addressing. I highly recommend using a Holley regulator with gauge.
D. Most people tend to toss the thermal spacer that goes between the carb and the intake manifold. This spacer is to keep the carb from heat soaking. With today's fuels when the carb gets hot it will boil the fuel in the bowl, I have seen this first had. It can cause goofy hot restarts too. Either find a used one or make your own.
E. Due to the mechanical fuel pump these engines use, if you let the truck sit for more than a few days, it will take a lot of cranking to get it to fire off and run. This is due to the fuel evaporating out of the fuel bowl and it takes a bit for the fuel to get from the tank up to the carb. I haven't yet installed it yet but I plan ob running a low pressure electric Carter fuel pump instead of the mechanical pump.
Thanks for the help! I actually ordered the holley fuel regulator kit from lcengineering so just waiting for it to come in(they really need to update their shipping 19 dollars and a week wait for shipping lol) im going to give that a try.

After tons of research i found out it isnt a 32/36 but a weber branded solex 34. I have adjusted it pretty good from base settings of a 32/36 waiting on the regulator to see if that helps with the tuning.

Originally Posted by 87-4runner
Congrats... nice truck!
I fought with a stinking webber for 3 years...
replaced it with a 500 Holley...
going by the bed of your truck it doesn't look too be sagging very much... measuring the fender wells isn't a good indication of the truck's stance as they differ significantly.... look closely at the body lines... it was designed to look lower in the rear... maybe it makes it look faster? Didn't really help... its still a pretty slow truck lol
how much was the 500 compared to the 32/36? What about gas milage? I am going to be using it to drive to my hunt club 160 mile round trip also haul my dirt bike to the tracks so would like best gas mileage possible.

I did notice that also after i posted, the different body lines makes it look lower in the rear than it actually is. I did some more measurements turns out it is only about 1 in difference.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by wrestler157
Thanks for the help! I actually ordered the holley fuel regulator kit from lcengineering so just waiting for it to come in(they really need to update their shipping 19 dollars and a week wait for shipping lol) im going to give that a try.

After tons of research i found out it isnt a 32/36 but a weber branded solex 34. I have adjusted it pretty good from base settings of a 32/36 waiting on the regulator to see if that helps with the tuning.

how much was the 500 compared to the 32/36? What about gas milage? I am going to be using it to drive to my hunt club 160 mile round trip also haul my dirt bike to the tracks so would like best gas mileage possible.

I did notice that also after i posted, the different body lines makes it look lower in the rear than it actually is. I did some more measurements turns out it is only about 1 in difference.
not sure about price i bought it used from a friend and gave him $100 if i remember right...
Not sure about fuel mileage either...i didn't care i just wanted a smooth idling, running motor...
after a couple of jet changes and some adjustment it was running PERFECT... i totaled that vehicle the next day... after a 3 year restoration...
lady pulled out in front of me on a blind hill 1 mile from my house...i hit her doing about 50 mph

Last edited by 87-4runner; 03-09-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Sorry I forgot to mention I made my own adapter plate