Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help "Loud Ping"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help "Loud Ping"

I am having some concerns with my 4Runner already that maybe you can help me out with or point me in the right direction to someone that may know what to do. There is a very loud "PING" in the rear end when turning sharp. It is like the rear locker is binding up and something pings out of place. It still drives normal when it does this. However it just doesn't seem normal at all. It feels like either an axle spline breaking every time or a ring and pinion snapping or something horrible and expensive every time. This is happening more often now and seems to happen 2-3 times a day when cornering sharp turns now. What do you think is going on here? Thanks guys
Old 08-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
you're sure it's coming from the rear and not the famous front-end noise?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
you're sure it's coming from the rear and not the famous front-end noise?
Well I am pretty sure and I feel it in the rear too. What is famous about the front end Pinging? What would cause it in the front? Just curious in case I ever run into that too.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Just use the search feature and see if it's similar to your situation...

This is all assuming you have IFS up front; the solids don't do it...

Basically the steering-stops on an IFS rig make a lot of racket when you turn to full lock and move the vehicle at all.

When I first got my 91, I noticed it about a week after I got it. When I heard it, I could have swore it was coming from the rear too; vibration travels very well through a frame.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-14-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take your rig and trail it get one rear wheel off the ground stop and floor it BUT MAKE SURE ITS SAFE IF THE TRUCK SHIFTS OR SLIDES!!! and see if the one rear wheel will move you and if it "pings" then then it might be a rear end on make sure your still in 2wd when you do it
Old 08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by just a 22re
take your rig and trail it get one rear wheel off the ground stop and floor it BUT MAKE SURE ITS SAFE IF THE TRUCK SHIFTS OR SLIDES!!! and see if the one rear wheel will move you and if it "pings" then then it might be a rear end on make sure your still in 2wd when you do it
what about just wheel chucks and a jack-stand?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
This is exactly what I am assuming. I think something is wrong with the rear locker. I put it on jacks and sometimes I can turn the one wheel while the other sits there and sometimes they both turn like a locker should. My question is this does not seem normal and if the ping is the 3rd member area (locker etc) or maybe an axle issue?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Loud? Then turn it down!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have a locker or limited slip, then both wheels will spin in the same direction when jacked up. If you have the stock open diff, one wheel will spin one way and the other in the other direction.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
If you have a locker or limited slip, then both wheels will spin in the same direction when jacked up. If you have the stock open diff, one wheel will spin one way and the other in the other direction.
unless you have a fubared rear-end... then the other tire wont spin at all and neither will the drive-shaft

but then again the truck wouldn't drive N E where either...
Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 PM

I understand the purpose of the diff, I do not understand what are potential causes of this loud binging one time PING I hear once in a while when turning sharp. I was told that the rear end has a Detroit locker in the rear and LSD in the front, which have all proven them selves on many trails already. How ever the rear end started this ping noise that is of great concern to me. If it is the locker do I need to pull out both axles to get it out and inspect it?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
got the right fluid in there, and the proper amount?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM

probably that damn truck leprechaun hitting your rear end with a hammer. Its a cousin to the one that craps in your mouth when you sleep and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan
I was told that the rear end has a Detroit locker in the rear...
I'm not real up on Detroit lockers, but as I understand they have an auto release feature that will unlock going around turns when you let off the gas. Sounds like to me you just have normal Detroit locker behavior. The trick I guess is to learn to corner with your foot off the gas.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-15-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I'm not real up on Detroit lockers, but as I understand they have an auto release feature that will unlock going around turns when you let off the gas. Sounds like to me you just have normal Detroit locker behavior. The trick I guess is to learn to corner with your foot off the gas.
Hmm, Perhaps you are right but the loud ping happens rather I am leaving and turning out to accelerate slowly from a parking space or even when I am not applying acceleration. I can even be in neutral and coast into a sharp turn slowly and something binds up in the rear and makes a loud PING. I would just like to figure it out before I get stuck far from home on some trail in the desert
Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd read up on Detroit lockers if I were you. I don't know how it works in reverse. Also, like someone already said, check your gear oil in the rear diff. Hopefully there won't be any loose gear teeth drain out.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-15-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I'd read up on Detroit lockers if I were you. I don't know how it works in reverse. Also, like someone already said, check your gear oil in the rear diff. Hopefully there won't be any loose gear teeth drain out.
I think we will change the fluid to see what we find. I will also read up on those lockers too. I drove about 500 miles in the last 3 days and the problem has not gotten any worst so hmmm.....
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Unhappy Same problem

I have the same problem I think... except it happens almost every time I engage the clutch... it's gotten progressively worse... so idk... It still drives fine like yours but it's so annoying... I think I will try draining the rear crankcase as well... But for now --->

Last edited by Vallone1990; 03-01-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Vallone1990
I have the same problem I think... except it happens almost every time I engage the clutch... it's gotten progressively worse... so idk... It still drives fine like yours but it's so annoying... I think I will try draining the rear crankcase as well... But for now --->
i too think i have the same noise. when i engage the clutch to go from a stop, or if i am in first and using the motor to slow the truck down, and then give it gas. there is a loud clank sound (it sounds like a hollow metal pipe hitting something or being hit with something metal) i cant find anything loose or anything, new springs, shocks, brakes, swapped 3rd, ds is tight.....
anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
U-joint.
I was amazed at the number of different sounds a busted u-joint makes. From long squeals, intense vibrations, slight vibrations, clunks, pings, ka-thunks, and finally a big kaboom when it finally goes out.
Thinking back, I had a bad u-joint for almost a year before I replaced it. Hahaha. Factory U-joints, truck has 360k on it.

Quick Reply: Help "Loud Ping"