86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

help with lift set-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with lift set-up

I have finally got some money to pursuit a lift kit, but don't know what set up to go with.
I already have some 15x12 typhoons on some 31x11.5 tsl's (originals). I'll also grab some 15x10 classic II on some 33x12.5 m/t.
My questions:
1.Will the pro comp, rough/tuff country lift enough to fit these rim/tire combo?
2.Will I need to upgrade my torsion bars? and What kine? Might as well rise torsion slightly by 1 or 2 inch if so.
3.If I do get new torsion and rise it, how should I rise the back? AAL? and what kine

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8...oto0040ya4.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8...oto0050xd8.jpg

Last edited by kountry_boi; 10-26-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, what are you driving? I'm gonna assume its either a 2nd gen 4Runner or 3rd gen Truck. Since you mentioned AAL, I'm gonna guess Truck, but you outta include a pic of your rig in your avatar, or put it in your signature for future posts so you don't always have people asking that question.

Well, I've got the rough country 4" lift kit and, with the exception of the rear lift blocks, I like it alot. Pretty solid components for the money. For 33x12.50's to fit, just a 3" or 4" kit would fit those no problem, so no need to upgrade your torsion bars. Have you though about doing a body lift instead? Rough Country makes a 3" body lift, and with all the money you'll save by lifting it that way, you can re-gear like you should after throwing on those big meats to get your power/mpg's back up. Just another option to consider. I personally kinda wish I'd done it that way.

Not really a question of yours, but while I'm throwing out other ideas, have you thought about going with an 8" wide rim? If your gonna wheel this thing, I'd reccomend it soley because you'll be able to air-down more efficiantly without the worry of breaking a bead and losing your air pressure altogether. If it's a street queen, 10" wides would be fine considering its what most tire companies reccomend for 12.50 wide tires.

Regardless of which way you go with things, keep us posted. Good luck

Last edited by nix4x4; 10-26-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:12 PM

changes made and yeah this is sort of a street queen, but I do scramble in mild dirt if so with 15x10.
not really into the trails and sas (although would like to one day with a 3.4L swap).
also heard horror stories of body lift, so right now imma stay away from that.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 AM

My body lift has been great. I put it on the truck back when it was about a year old and have never had any troubles with it at all.

In fact, after recently installing a Superlift Bracket lift, I'm finding that I had plenty of confidence in the truck with the body lift on it, but not so much with the bracket lift. To each their own though I suppose, but there's nothing wrong with a body lift.

And to answer your questions:

1.Will the pro comp, rough/tuff country lift enough to fit these rim/tire combo?
2.Will I need to upgrade my torsion bars? and What kine? Might as well rise torsion slightly by 1 or 2 inch if so.
3.If I do get new torsion and rise it, how should I rise the back? AAL? and what kine
1. you'd be fine for 33x12.50's with a bracket lift installed.
2. Upgraded tbars just kill the ride quality by firming it up. If you need a little more lift (need, want?) do bj spacers for an extra 1.5".
3. If you need a little more cheap lift in the back, extended shacles are generally preferred over AAL's and are cheaper too. They increase travel and flex too.

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 10-27-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by kountry_boi
changes made and yeah this is sort of a street queen, but I do scramble in mild dirt if so with 15x10.
not really into the trails and sas (although would like to one day with a 3.4L swap).
also heard horror stories of body lift, so right now imma stay away from that.

I can probably give you just as many horror stories about IFS bracket lifts. As a rule of thumb, the components of a bracket lift become the suspensions weakest link. But, its your truck, so do what you want with it. I think that with the type of terrain your truck will be seeing, either a bracket lift or a body would cause you little to no problems provided its intalled correctly.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 AM

or do a shorter body lift (1.5" - 2") and do ball joint spacers for 1.5"...don't have to worry about the bracket lift, cheaper and from what i hear, a lot of people are very satisfied with the ball joint spacers...check out www.sdori.com. you will need new front shocks with ball joint spacers though, so plan that into your cost if you are considering it. as far as the rear...if you're looking for 1.5" of lift your options are pretty open...block, shackles or add-a-leaf like you said. i'm not a huge fan of the shackle lift because it messes with your pinion angle, but its cheap. never had aal, but i've heard their stiff. if you haul a lot, it could be a good option. if it is a street queen and you just want height, the blocks might be good for you. again, you will need new rear shocks to do it right. $0.02.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have body lift for over 6 yrs now without problems. It's all in the installation. You can do 2" body lift with Ball Joint lift infront and block or AAL in the back.
Assuming that you're doing the work yourself.....
If you have to get a shop to do it, they want a kit ...unless you find someone that do that kind of work all the time....
Old 10-27-2007, 08:45 PM

now my options are tempting
1. do a bracket lift w/ installation to around $1200
2. do some body lift with some ball joint spacers for cheaper
and other options but these two were top two
Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The bracket lift is really not necessary to fit your tires. Fore a street vehicle, bracket lifts are fine, expensive, but fine. I had the bracket lift for about 6 years and broke it several times on the trail. I would not recommend it and am not planning to run one ever again myself. However, if you chose the bracket lift route, there are things you can do to strengthen it and also get a fair amount of travel out of it.

Body lifts on Toyotas have no issues that I am aware. 4Crawler.com makes an excellent one that I'll be installing on my truck shortly. You might hear horror stories on other brands but many many of us are running 1-3" body lifts for years and years without issues.

A small body lift and spacers will clear your 33's. Search and you can find much detail. 33X10.5's should clear with almost no lift to put things in perspective. A less expensive lift can leave one with more money for things that really make a bid difference in drive quality. For example, regearing for larger tires is crucial to street performance. (and dirt too but you typically drive more on the street in almost any truck) Lockers make or break trail performance. A truck with small tires, no lift, and lockers will own a big lifted open diff truck on the trail any day of the week.

Just some things to think about.

Frank