Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help! I'm immobilized.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I'm immobilized.

94 4runner 3.0 5-spd. Got the truck running and took it for a ride yesterday. All seems ok except i will need to change the L drive axle out soon.

So...I thought I would clean the corrosion off the positive battery cable connections. I undid the small and big wire and the horn started blowing. It appears that this truck has a factory anti-theft system. Anyway, now when I connect the battery, after about 20 seconds or so, the horn starts to blow. And the car will not start, will not crank, nothing. The engine is immobilized. I have read every page of the owner's manual and there is not one word about this system or how to operate it. I have two plastic head keys for the truck and no keyless remotes.

Can someone tell me what sequence of actions I need to perform to disarm this system?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
disconnect the battery for a few houirs, see if that works
Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This happened to me, and it turns out I had 2 alarm systems over each other. I can't remember how I got it started after, but I do know that since I yanked the 2nd system out (the non-oem one) I haven't had any problems.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick replies. I broke a cardinal rule and called the P.O. He told me of a tiny little switch (I must have bumped) beside the gas door release that turns the system off. Flipped the switch - car started! Thanks again for the help.

Search this Thread