86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help with Auto Transmission

1986 Toyota Pickup, 60K miles, A43D auto transmission. Driving on a highway and transmission craps out. No acceleration and smoke starts filling the cab. Pulled over right away, saw ATF under the truck, got it towed back home and did some troubleshooting in the driveway. No ATF was registering on the dipstick. Added a couple of quarts, started the truck and saw a nice steady stream of ATF from the front of the transmission (towards the engine). In addition, driver side mounting bracket is cracked. Trying to figure out how bad this is and what kind of work it will require to fix the problem. I did all the engine work on this truck, including the head gasket, but never touched the transmission except for a fluid and filter change. I will talk to some shops around here but wanted to do my research first. Could it be as simple as the oil seal in front of the pump? Please let me know what I should expect and if there's anything else I can check to confirm the problem.

Cracked driver side mount:

ATF leaks out when truck is running:

Old 03-02-2023, 06:53 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
If the front pump seal went out and you lost enough fluid, it will definitely stop moving. You can maybe drop the pan and take a look and see if it's full of metal. Where are you located? I actually have an A43D I just pulled from an 86 I bought just for the Xtra cab.

Good luck I hope it's an easy fix. Post up whatever you find.
Old 03-03-2023, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by aztoyman
If the front pump seal went out and you lost enough fluid, it will definitely stop moving. You can maybe drop the pan and take a look and see if it's full of metal. Where are you located? I actually have an A43D I just pulled from an 86 I bought just for the Xtra cab.

Good luck I hope it's an easy fix. Post up whatever you find.
I'm in North Carolina. I will pull the pan and see how it looks as you suggested. It will be in a couple of weeks as I will be traveling but I will post up the results for sure. If I need a new transmission I will gladly pay you for the one you got! Please don't get rid of it . Even if I have to drive to AZ and get it myself!
Old 03-21-2023, 03:52 AM

Pulled the pan and found brownish ATF full of metal-looking glitter. Very fine particles, nothing larger than a grain of fine salt or smaller. Thinking about pulling the transmission, replacing the front oil pump seal (if that's what's wrong), then installing it back, flushing and hoping for the best. Does that sound reasonable? Should I flush before pulling the transmission? Any other advice on moving forward?

Also, anyone knows the part number or the name for that cracked bracket in the picture above? If I can't find it, can it be repaired/welded?

Old 03-21-2023, 09:06 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
The fluid looks pretty old and or burnt. A little bit of "fuzz" on the magnets in the pan is normal. Lots of glitter is not good but it's better than large pieces. Something is failing and you are fortunate to have caught it early. Less expensive to rebuild. The torque converter will be full of that and almost impossible to completely flush out. The valve body is going to be full of it as well and could cause valves to stick.

If I were in the middle of nowhere and HAD to get home I'd put a new seal in, fresh fluid and HOPE I made it home. Otherwise I think a call to a transmission shop or buying a service manual for that transmission so you can go through it is your best bet.

The bracket is on just about every 22R, 22RE out there so you can get one from a salvage yard. It just gives more support to the transmission bell housing where it attaches to the block. I just looked them up and found they are called Plate, Stiffener LH (ATM) . There are two numbers available depending on your model code. 3319-35021 or 3319-22022 $50-$60 each.

Last edited by aztoyman; 03-21-2023 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling