86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!! 5speed swap fail!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! 5speed swap fail!

Alright swapping a 5 speed limit n to my 95 4Runner, the entire swap was going way to smooth for my liking. No problems, up until now. Put the 5 speed in to the truck, started threading the bolts in all go in super smooth threaded 90% in by hand. Until I can't get the last 2 bolts in, it looks like the bellhousing shrunk. It's off by just a little bit. Did I miss something? The location of the non entering bolts is the two small ones on the passenger side, below the starter. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's strange. What all components are you using?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:06 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Isn't there supposed to be 2 guide pins to keep all the holes in perfect alignment?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what engine is in this Toyota

There should be guide pins !!

The rest of the bolts are just finger tight??

Just what did the bell housing come out of??

If the two bolts don`t line up and the rest line up seems that bell housing was made for a different application which leads back to just where did it come from ??
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 AM

If you don't know what youre doing on a transmission swap, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Yeah, okay, the bell housing shrunk because that makes total sense.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by dirty-taco333
If you don't know what *you're* doing on a transmission swap, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Yeah, okay, the bell housing shrunk because that makes total sense.
If you cannot provide any helpful information, please do not comment...

Try to loosening all of the bolts to see if you are putting the bell housing into a bind. Sometimes having all of the bolts pretty loose will allow you to get all of the bolts started. Then you can tighten from there.

Of course you want to make sure all of your parts are supposed to fit together. I would double check which parts you are using before forcing them together.
Like everyone else said, do you have guide pins?

Last edited by old87yota; 04-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am Sorry if you thought my comments did not provide help I will comment no more !!!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I am Sorry if you thought my comments did not provide help I will comment no more !!!
No, not you wyoming9, you are always helpful!

Yotatech NEEDS you to KEEP commenting. You have helped me on more than a few occasions.

Last edited by old87yota; 04-26-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:44 PM

I'm using a r150f from some guy that i bought off of facebook, case code 30202546, I've not been able to find a decoder to tell me what it came out of or what its supped to mated too.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Yes it does have guide pins on it, i really don't know what it came out of the guy i got it off of said it would fit the 3.0 i have and that where it came from. It was a crunch time type thing for me i had 3 days to get the swap done before I went outta state for work so not in state as of now. will be back in a couple weeks and ill try loosing up the trans to get all of them threaded. All the bolts are tight not finger tight, i was able to tread them on with my fingers. thank you to everyone that has had helpful suggestions. I have plenty of mechanical experience otherwise i wouldn't be undertaking a project like this. like i said i was rushing trying to get it off jack-stands before i left and being new to Toyotas i thought maybe i had missed some step with bolting up the tranny. The 4 runner has a 3.0 but after a rebuild of the 3.4 i have in my garage it will be connected to a 3.4 but that's a different thread down the line. please let me know if i missed any information that might be helpful.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
There are two brackets that bolt to the engine on either side that provide mounting for the bottom two boots of the bell housing. There is also a half cover(flat piece of metal) that goes in between the bell and engine or brackets at the lower portion. Try loser I got the bell and those two engine brackets I mention. Without the cover on the lower bell to shield the flywheel you will be left with a mm or two space where the bell won't make contact with the brackets. It's possible the brackets are bent.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dirty-taco333
If you don't know what youre doing on a transmission swap, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Yeah, okay, the bell housing shrunk because that makes total sense.
Thank you for your input, but that was a euphemism for I messed up some where and was asking for help.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
There are two brackets that bolt to the engine on either side that provide mounting for the bottom two boots of the bell housing. There is also a half cover(flat piece of metal) that goes in between the bell and engine or brackets at the lower portion. Try loser I got the bell and those two engine brackets I mention. Without the cover on the lower bell to shield the flywheel you will be left with a mm or two space where the bell won't make contact with the brackets. It's possible the brackets are bent.
Ok,I have that metal plate on the bottom that I have installed and their was a metal plate on the top that was bolted to the motor when i removed the auto that i left on their. would one from a 3.4 with an auto work? I happen to have one laying around. LOL
Old 04-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just what engine is in this Toyota

There should be guide pins !!

The rest of the bolts are just finger tight??

Just what did the bell housing come out of??

If the two bolts don`t line up and the rest line up seems that bell housing was made for a different application which leads back to just where did it come from ??
Is there a place to look up case codes to figure out what i have exactly? The manual Transmission I have looks like a r150f from all the pictures. Thank you every one for putting up with my questions.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
If you cannot provide any helpful information, please do not comment...

Try to loosening all of the bolts to see if you are putting the bell housing into a bind. Sometimes having all of the bolts pretty loose will allow you to get all of the bolts started. Then you can tighten from there.

Of course you want to make sure all of your parts are supposed to fit together. I would double check which parts you are using before forcing them together.
Like everyone else said, do you have guide pins?

That I did, It test fitted up against the 3.4 I have sitting on my stand. Thank you for you Help and support.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:11 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
3.0 and 3.4 blocks are the same as far as bell houses are concerned. The Auto trans shield may work, but i didn't have one when I did my swap, heck my lower engine brackets were absent until I did my swap. Maybe this is telling you to just stuff the 3.4 in now...haha. I guess start taking measurements. You could yank the trans out and trace the bell housing mating surface and bolt holes on some thick paper and compare against your 3.0.
Perhaps take the lower engine brackets off and fit the trans to the engine and then install the engine side brackets. Did you remove bolts from those lower brackets when removing the auto trans? Wonder if those brackets are bent, engine could have been dropped on them if it was out at one time for a rebuild or replace....just sayin.
Try the auto plate, might have to do some trimming, but should fit.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:21 PM

Alright, so it was the bracket you are talking about they were a little bent I think. I ended up just bending it to aligning the holes and it bolted up perfectly. Swap is all done now for the most part have driven it close to 75 miles and have had no problems. This weekend I'll be checking all the tourqes and fluid levels.