Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Heater Blower Removal? 91 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heater Blower Removal? 91 4Runner

I'm looking to remove the heater blower as a sealed unit from my 91 4Runner without disrupting any of the A/C lines in the evaporator in the "box" next to it. I'm in the middle of a 3.4L swap and would really like to open up some room up against the fire wall to make access to some of the electrical connections a bit easier.

So far I've removed all the screws and nuts that appear to be holding the box in place and it will wiggle around some just not enough to do anything useful. The removed screws/nuts are circled (at least there general locations):

A wider shot if it helps:

It looks like the box on the left (which holds the A/C evaporator) looks to have a small lip that overlaps the blower box; but also all the mechanical linkages (connected to the various control levers above the radio) are still connected and may need to come apart?

Any advice?

(This is more or less a double post from my swap thread and after 3 days of silence I decided to re-post it; mods feel free to delete/merge if you need to...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160.../#post51860907)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Question Anyone?

Bump for any ideas...

I managed to find enough room to disconnect the engine harness and pull it through the firewall, but I still would like to pull the blower box out to make some room to "hide" the conversion harness when I get there.

The A/C evaporator is in enclosed in the plastic box between the blower and the radio, and it is a 2 piece box (with a top and bottom). I removed the 2 clips and 2 screws that I can see and the bottom half of the box is loose but it feels like there is a 3rd (or 4th) screw holding it on in the rear; has anyone ever taken this apart?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-15-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There should be a third screw in the rear, accessible with a small socket, extension, and universal joint.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try taking the top of the dash off as well.
I know you have to do this to get to the heater core.
Dunno much, just giving a suggestion, I've never done this.
If in doubt, go to the wrecker and take one apart there, so if you break something it's no sweat off your back.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Thanks BMcEL, I was trying to feel around in the back for anything that could have been a screw or clip or anything else, I'll have to take a closer look this weekend with a flashlight and mirror.

I thought about taking the whole top part of the dash apart but after looking at things, it looks to be bigger project than I was hoping it to be.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:20 AM

1991 4runner blower motor remove to clean?

Originally Posted by SacRunner
I'm looking to remove the heater blower as a sealed unit from my 91 4Runner without disrupting any of the A/C lines in the evaporator in the "box" next to it. I'm in the middle of a 3.4L swap and would really like to open up some room up against the fire wall to make access to some of the electrical connections a bit easier.

So far I've removed all the screws and nuts that appear to be holding the box in place and it will wiggle around some just not enough to do anything useful. The removed screws/nuts are circled (at least there general locations):

A wider shot if it helps:

It looks like the box on the left (which holds the A/C evaporator) looks to have a small lip that overlaps the blower box; but also all the mechanical linkages (connected to the various control levers above the radio) are still connected and may need to come apart?

Any advice?

(This is more or less a double post from my swap thread and after 3 days of silence I decided to re-post it; mods feel free to delete/merge if you need to...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160.../#post51860907)
hi I am stuck trying to remove the blower motor having removed 2 of the screws. Is it even possible to remove just the motor so I can clean all insulation from the hood that got sucked into it?

Old 02-08-2023, 10:37 AM
YT Community Team

Received 842 Likes on 597 Posts
The box on the right with the 87130-89117 part number is the blower box.
Remove the bottom of the box and the blower motor will be visible.
here's a picture

Old 02-08-2023, 10:46 AM

Thanks!

I took it apart and cleaned out all the debris that I could access into the ac box ….hoping the mess doesn’t extend pass the ac box into the heater core!
Old 02-08-2023, 02:16 PM
YT Community Team

My evap box was just polluted with leaves, literally half full
Old 02-08-2023, 02:59 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
This makes me want to pull mine again to clean it
Old 02-08-2023, 04:26 PM
YT Community Team

When I pulled my cowl off I took fairly fine screen and used it to cover those vents under the wiper arms to keep leaves out. Seems to have worked, and I installed them on the underside of the cowl, so you don't see them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimkola:
91xcal (02-11-2023), old87yota (02-08-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 02:33 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
A bit late to this party myself. Sorry.
I'm pretty sure you could have pulled the blower side off without really disturbing the evap box.
When I did my rewiring (jeez near 3 years now?) I actually had pulled the whole dash apart. I replaced the top pad. But while there I also painted that pipe bar that everything is behing,
and the cluster part actually screws to. Plus the upright lower console brackets IIRC.

My evap box was really trashed too. And the fan fins were really nasty. Plus a wasp nest (wth??) up behind that duct flapper. Like Jimkola posted, not only am I putting fine mesh under the cowl vents, I actully made a filter tent kind of thing (with an access panel I cut into the cowl plate deck near the wiper motor). Original idea was to put a new style replaceable filter, but that proved to not be worth effort. No wonder its been 3 years.

But having all that clutter out of the way made running wires and such much easier (I tell myself). Also I installed quite a bit more circuits and having the blower box out of way seems almost essential anyway. I ran several wires out to an extra fuse panel I built (where old evap cannister was. Fuel vapor).

Plus replacing the rear wiper tube would have been horrible with it still there.