Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Heater/AC Fan, interesting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater/AC Fan, interesting problem

so, for the longest time on my 91 toyota pickup, my fan has only worked in the full power position. I've always dealt with it and never dove in to fix the issue, however this morning, something strange has happened.

So the last time i drove the truck, i had the a/c blasting on full power (the only option i have) and it was working. this morning when i got in the truck, i went to turn the fan on from the off position and the switch physically wont go all the way to the right (full power/hi position), thus causing no a/c or heater at all since it doesn't work on the lower settings at all. it seems very strange that the switch physically cannot be pushed to the high position it just stops in the middle, i tried to force it a little bit and wiggle it around but no luck, it wont budge past the middle position. i looked with a flash light and can't see anything intruding in its path either.

so, it looks like i'm in need of some repair. i've searched around the forums and found that a lot of people have the common issue of the heater only working on full blast and no other setting, and most state the fix being to replace the resistor under the glove box area associated with the fan. So i would think i'm going to need this part, however i believe i will also need a new switch, since my switch isn't physically working properly. i've found a thread that pointed me to this part at autozone for the new switch for only $29.00. however i cannot find out where to purchase this resistor piece that it sounds like i will need also, to get my lower speeds of the fan back working also. can this be bought at autozone as well? does that part at autozone look like it will work as a direct replacement to my switch or should i go with oem part? any help, or experience with this problem or a similair problem would be appreciated.

i've never taken the dash all the way off and i'm thinking that i would have to to get to this piece. any advice on taking the dash off and where to start with that would be appreciated as well. Thank you YotaTech

*edit I've been searching still since creating this thread and i found THIS part on autozone. its called a blower motor relay. is this the resistor piece that is in need of replacement most likely to get the lower fan speeds back working?

Last edited by Blitzkrieg3002; 08-05-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Since it looks like the correct part for 29 I would try it, I'm sure at the dealer seems something like that you might have to donate an organ and a leg to get it. It is a good starting point though, I have been meaning to replace mine due to my lowest setting doesn't work but the rest does. Post results if the switch takes care of your problems!!
Oh and you shouldn't have to take the whole dash off if I remember some screws obove the speedo and loosen the bottom below the wheel, ac bezel pops off and I believe you can loosen that to pull it out enough to get to that switch, you might have to take off some of the cables that go to the heater controls to pull it all the way off, but no the dash shouldnt have to come off and it won't be that difficult.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 08-05-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Neither the switch or blower relay at autozone are the parts you need.

The resistor looks like this:

The switch is a rotary type switch, which is part of the climate controls. I can't find a pic of that at the moment.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Since it looks like the correct part for 29 I would try it, I'm sure at the dealer seems something like that you might have to donate an organ and a leg to get it. It is a good starting point though, I have been meaning to replace mine due to my lowest setting doesn't work but the rest does. Post results if the switch takes care of your problems!!
Oh and you shouldn't have to take the whole dash off if I remember some screws obove the speedo and loosen the bottom below the wheel, ac bezel pops off and I believe you can loosen that to pull it out enough to get to that switch, you might have to take off some of the cables that go to the heater controls to pull it all the way off, but no the dash shouldnt have to come off and it won't be that difficult.
yea, i've heard at the dealer it costs upward of $70+ dollars. i found the resistor part at autozone, they want $38.00 for it however. others are saying they paid $16.00 for it at the dealer so i might have to call them up for that part.

anyone have advice on where to start for pulling out the dash?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by abecedarian

The switch is a rotary type switch, which is part of the climate controls. I can't find a pic of that at the moment.

are you sure that THIS heater switch is not the correct part, it looks VERY similair to the switch in my 91 toyota pickup and this link was actually provided in a thread in this forums on a thread where a guy showed him repairing his old switch. I also found THIS part at autozone which looks very similair to the resistor you posted a picture of. is that not the correct part either?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 AM

So is this the same thing that would be causing my lowest setting not to work as well?? I figured it would be the control on the ac panel would be causing this, so your saying this part pictured is somewhere other than by the ac controls?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 AM

So is this the same thing that would be causing my lowest setting not to work as well?? I figured it would be the control on the ac panel would be causing this, so your saying this part pictured is somewhere other than by the ac controls?
a lot of the other threads are saying that this part in the picture ( the resistor ) goes bad, and causes all settings except for high to go out. I have seen threads where they say it can also cause some of the lower settings to not work while others still work. it's located under the dash on the passenger side near the glove box from what i've read.

i think in my perticular situation though i need a switch and the resistor, where as you probably just need the resistor.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 AM

I am probably wrong. I've a dozen things running around my head right now.

Autozone's site is acting up on me so I can't say for sure, but it does seem those are what you need.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 AM

That part is behind the glove box, screwed to the duct. (The air flow in the duct helps cool it.)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Well I'm all confused anyway post your results when you get er fixed!! And also start by taking off the screws above your speedo and the panel below your wheel to make it easier you might take off the glove side also it is simple to do. If I remember correctly to put a new deck in I had to remove both sides to get the middle piece off. It isn't that hard once you get going on it you will see what needs to come off. Have fun!!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 AM

That part is behind the glove box, screwed to the duct. (The air flow in the duct helps cool it.)
awesome, have you had experience removing the dash to replace the switch itself? any tips before tackling this? i read somewhere where someone said you don't have to remove the whole dash just the radio and you can reach up and remove the switch. but looking at it, it seems like the whole dash has to come out
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg3002
a lot of the other threads are saying that this part in the picture ( the resistor ) goes bad, and causes all settings except for high to go out. I have seen threads where they say it can also cause some of the lower settings to not work while others still work. it's located under the dash on the passenger side near the glove box from what i've read.
The blower resistor has 3 coils on it, each of different resistance. So using the switch selects which coils are used: all, 2, 1 or none.

i think in my perticular situation though i need a switch and the resistor, where as you probably just need the resistor.
I agree.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Well I'm all confused anyway post your results when you get er fixed!! And also start by taking off the screws above your speedo and the panel below your wheel to make it easier you might take off the glove side also it is simple to do. If I remember correctly to put a new deck in I had to remove both sides to get the middle piece off. It isn't that hard once you get going on it you will see what needs to come off. Have fun!!

awesome thanks for the tips, i might try and get to it tonight if i have time. if not the end of this week i'll dive into it.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM

awesome, have you had experience removing the dash to replace the switch itself? any tips before tackling this? i read somewhere where someone said you don't have to remove the whole dash just the radio and you can reach up and remove the switch. but looking at it, it seems like the whole dash has to come out
Sorry, I have not had to pull my dash out so i can't help there.
What you have to pull would depend on what year vehicle you have.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 AM

You can get to it but you will rub your hand raw and it will be a pain to do, I find just taking the lower part off is easier than twisting and turning your hand up under everything to get to stuff if you have never done it before might want to do it just for future repairs, it's not bad at all getting it all off and it will be way easier to work on it.
And by lower part I mean the glove side and below the steering wheel then the center pops out and you have access to everything.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 08-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 AM

I know for a fact that on my '88 4Runner pulling the stereo wouldn't get you close to the climate controls.
I would have to pull the whole center "drop" cluster, ashtray and such.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 AM

awesome, glad to get input so quickly from both of you, thank you so much. it sounds simple enough to get to the switch. ought to be easier than all the other work i've done to this thing. bout to take a trip to autozone and have at it, i'll post back to let you guys know how these parts worked out.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 AM

By all means, keep us informed.
If not for our benefit, surely for the benefit of the next person.
... if they search.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-05-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Yea post results for sure, and also when you get the panels off to take off the ac panel remove all the knobs on the controls, they just pull off and the panel just pops out just work your way around it and it comes right off.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rock auto has the fan switch and resister that you need. the switch is about $42. dollars, and the resistor is about $36. dollars.

Quick Reply: Heater/AC Fan, interesting problem