86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

headlight swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
headlight swap

im thinking of buying a 90 or 91 runner but i hate the look of the lights would 92-95 headlights fit on a 90 or 91
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With work and cutting the core support any thing can fit... I would do the $40 eBay h4 conversion and put in a set of HIDs
Old 11-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
With work and cutting the core support any thing can fit... I would do the $40 eBay h4 conversion and put in a set of HIDs
that's illegal you know

don't do HID's, but put in a good set of halogens

Originally Posted by razed
I thought the 90-95 4Runner lights were the same replaceable bulb thing?
nope; two different front-end designs through the years

earlier sealed-beam style:

and later came the composite headlight style:

the pickups never caught on though, even though the grill design was changed... they use the sealed beam style all the way up and through when the Taco's were introduced, before they snuck the composites onto the trucks

education lecture over

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-08-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Sponsor

How isit illegal?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 with tofer....i have the same thing with 6k hid they are alot brighter and look alot cooler then halogens!!! superbleeder is right about some being illegal, But i think it 12k or higher atleast here in Texas.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

id rather have the 90-91 headlights with a h4 conversion
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

unless the composite housings are designed for HID bulbs, they will not create a good light pattern

just because they're DOT approved doesn't make them HID-able

the housings must be designed for HID bulbs, or HID housings must be retrofitted into the composite beams
Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've put the HID kit into a reflector designed for halogen before. The beam pattern was not that great at night, though the light output was intense.

It was on a motorcycle, so I didn't really mind being obnoxiously bright...though, I wouldn't do it again. And I definitely wouldn't do it on a truck.

Grab a set of the H4 upgrades, and maybe a set of Hella 500's. I think you'll be quite pleased with the light you're throwing down the road, though without the trick blue look.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
How isit illegal?
Technically they are not. Only if you are using a blue tint. Probably 8K and above. Housings have no bearing as there is no law about not having hids in reflector housing, at least not in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LtGtmdJQxY

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Technically they are not. Only if you are using a blue tint. Probably 8K and above. Housings have no bearing as there is no law about not having hids in reflector housing, at least not in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LtGtmdJQxY
having HID bulbs installed in a reflector that is not designed for them is not street legal, regardless of what color they are.

the reason is that the reflection angle is wrong. this will make the lights less useful to you, the driver, and probably also blind oncoming cars, which is what will get you pulled over and ticketed. with the right housings, your lights still look cool but they are better for you and everyone else on the road.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by chuntr
having HID bulbs installed in a reflector that is not designed for them is not street legal, regardless of what color they are.

the reason is that the reflection angle is wrong. this will make the lights less useful to you, the driver, and probably also blind oncoming cars, which is what will get you pulled over and ticketed. with the right housings, your lights still look cool but they are better for you and everyone else on the road.
show me where it says the housings matter. BTW it's not illegal to blond oncoming cars, have you ever been in front of or coming up on a BWM or anything with factory HIDs? They blind you and they are projectors.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-09-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

show me where it says the housings matter.
show me where it says they don't
Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
show me where it says they don't
don't have to law does not work that way.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM

show me where it says the housings matter. .
I'm not out to prove to you if it's legal or not. what matters, is whether the cops think your lights are a nuisance. they won't care if they say DOT APPROVED or whatever, you are still getting a ticket.

any idiot can blind other drivers if his lights aren't adjusted properly. the reason you see it more with HIDs is because people don't have the right housings to provide proper cutoff and beam focus. you get light shining off into space instead of onto the road.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

don't have to law does not work that way.
the law doesn't specifically say that I can't paint a giant naked lady on the side of my truck either, but I bet you I'd still get pulled over
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm not out to prove to you if it's legal or not. what matters, is whether the cops think your lights are a nuisance. they won't care if they say DOT APPROVED or whatever, you are still getting a ticket.

any idiot can blind other drivers if his lights aren't adjusted properly. the reason you see it more with HIDs is because people don't have the right housings to provide proper cutoff and beam focus. you get light shining off into space instead of onto the road.
man if you have ever driven behind a factory BMW with hids you know how annoying those are, it is right for a cop to pull them over because the way they think? no.

If I were ever to be pulled over in my truck because they "think" my headlights are annoying (not that I have hids) I have silverstars which are bright as hell and can't prove it, then off to court I would go.

Cop can write all the tickets in the world does not make them right. Law is not designed around what someone "thinks". His annoying is different than my annoying etc etc. And they have to prove it. How are they gonna do that when you fight it taking it to court during the day.

Show me where it says a cop can pull you over for annoying lights then.

Iamsuperbleeder, I am sure there is a law on the books barring any time of nudity.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-09-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM

If I were ever to be pulled over in my truck because they "think" my headlights are annoying (not that I have hids) I have silverstars which are bright as hell and can't prove it, then off to court I would go.

Cop can write all the tickets in the world does not make them right. Law is not designed around what someone "thinks". His annoying is different than my annoying etc etc. And they have to prove it. How are they gonna do that when you fight it taking it to court during the day.

Show me where it says a cop can pull you over for annoying lights then.
cops get cut a lot of slack in writing tickets. if you can prove the cop wrong, more power too you. personally, I'd rather just get a legal set of lights and skip the whole deal.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

I'm glad Tofer answered the OP's question in the first post, because this thread has completely derailed off topic, lol
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 AM

cops get cut a lot of slack in writing tickets. if you can prove the cop wrong, more power too you. personally, I'd rather just get a legal set of lights and skip the whole deal.
I think you missed 2 points here, first point was that nowhere in US laws are HID's illegal, whether it be in a reflector or projector housing. But they must emit a white light (which covers 8K-12K which emit a blue to purple light). This also includes most of your Xenon halogen replacements. Why, because the bluer the light gets the less effective the light is in illuminating the road especially when the road is wet. For example a 10K HID kit will light a rainy road less than your standard 4500K halogen bulb.

Since HIDs have been around so long, most people think they are illegal simply because these ricer boys keep getting the 8k, 10K and 12K cheap HID's because they "look cool". Most places in Europe if your doing a HID conversion the HID must be in a vehicle that has headlight cleaners (which I am going to assume are wipers)

I do agree the glare from a HID in a reflector housing is rather annoying and I personally wouldn't do it.

The second point is if I were to take a ticket to court, I would not have to prove the cop wrong whatsoever, they have to prove the HID's are illegal. Which is why if I am wrong about them not being illega,l I want to see the written law that makes them illegal.

And to Iamsuperbleeder it is pretty much on topic since someone had make the suggestion to change to an h4 and convert to HID.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Bring it Judge Judy! lol.... I'm interested in doing my lights... I'll be studying up on this. I just want a lil more range and, well, mine are both halogens of the same brand, but for some reason they look like different colors! Oh well, at least they work. lol

Quick Reply: headlight swap