86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head bolt debate??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head bolt debate??

I've been reading lots and lots of posts about overheating, blown head gaskets etc. The obvious consensus is to replace the head bolts if you have to pull the head(and I would agree).
I just got off the phone with a long time Parts Manager at a large Toyota dealership.(I was pricing out a head gasket among other things) and he firmly believed you do not have to replace the head bolts every time. He is a master ceritified Toyota mechinic as well. He was very adament about the fact that I don't need to waste the $$ on them.

So...what do you guys really think? I will most likely buy new ones, but I was very suprised about what he said.
Thanks for any input.
Mark
Old 11-17-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search.
It's a debated issue.
Personally, I don't debate it. I throw them away and use ARP studs.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:32 PM

I been hearing this alot. I really don't no what to belive anymore. But if it was me, I would go for the new ones.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know what's so confusing about this...

Headbolts on most° newer Toyota engines are TTY (Torque-to-Yield) bolts, meaning once you stretch them out they won't hold torque as well ever again, leading to headgasket problems.

They were invented to be that way...it's kind of like saying you can repack and duct tape airbags and they'll work just the same. No.

° 22R/RE's are an exception. Please notify of others .

Last edited by marko3xl3; 11-17-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine came free with the head gasket set, why risk it
Old 11-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3

Headbolts are TTY (Torque-to-Yield) bolts, meaning once you stretch them out they won't hold torque as well ever again, leading to headgasket problems.

They were invented to be that way...it's kind of like saying you can repack and duct tape airbags and they'll work just the same. No.
X 2. TTY bolts are meant to be replaced!! Can you re-use them, sure. Will they be as good and hold up? No. Will they inevitably fail? yes! Replace the head bolts, If your in there doing the headwork, its much cheaper to spend the extra $ now to get the new studs than to pay $$$ later when it blows up again. [/ ]
Old 11-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
I throw them away and use ARP studs.
Where did you find your ARP's and how much? I havn't found anyone locally that seems to know much about them. And dealing wiht LC engineering is expensive
Old 11-17-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill
Where did you find your ARP's and how much? I havn't found anyone locally that seems to know much about them. And dealing wiht LC engineering is expensive
I bought them from an individual who was selling similar hardware on ebay. I just asked if he could get them for the 22re.
I think I paid around $110. Jegs and Summit carry them also... You shouldn't find wildly swinging prices on these - just go with the best price you can get.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:27 PM

If you guys want to risk your engine by not replacing $25 worth of bolts, all the more power to ya!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dcg9381
Search.
It's a debated issue.
Personally, I don't debate it. I throw them away and use ARP studs.
you've installed ARP's stuff in 3vze's? What are the dimensions and cost of these beasties? IF the grade 10.9s of engine builders come into question I want to have a backup plan. (Though I doubt ill need to)

ARP has kits already for the 22re, 7mgt, 2jzgte, and some other toyota 4cyl, but nothing else I can find. Interestingly enough you can buy from ARP directly from what I understand.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-17-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by curtiswyant
If you guys want to risk your engine by not replacing $25 worth of bolts, all the more power to ya!
Yep, definitely replace 'em (if we're talking about the 3.0). They cost a lot more than 25 bucks though.
OEM bolts are between 7-13 bucks each.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 11-17-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ted at engnbldr.com has had non TTY bolts made for the 3.0. The price is really good too. I have a lot of trust in Ted.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 PM

Replace them while you have it all apart. I also got mine with a kit that I bought.

Rob
Old 11-17-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3

Headbolts are TTY (Torque-to-Yield) bolts, meaning once you stretch them out they won't hold torque as well ever again, leading to headgasket problems.

3.slow yes, 22RE nope.. the 22RE does not use TTY yield bolts, there for they are not required to be replaced. The OP doesnt specify what engine, so that could be the valid reason for toyota telling him he can reuse.

I have heard of the ARP's causeing oiling issues due to larger nuts?? Is this common?

All that being said, head bolts are realtivley cheap, and its not a bad idea to replace, but on my 95 I didnt replace them no issue, and on my 92 I wont replace them when I do the chain and HG...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
3.slow yes, 22RE nope.. the 22RE does not use TTY yield bolts, there for they are not required to be replaced. The OP doesnt specify what engine, so that could be the valid reason for toyota telling him he can reuse.

I have heard of the ARP's causeing oiling issues due to larger nuts?? Is this common?

All that being said, head bolts are realtivley cheap, and its not a bad idea to replace, but on my 95 I didnt replace them no issue, and on my 92 I wont replace them when I do the chain and HG...

Some engines don't use TTY bolts, and on second hand thought, I should've probably included that in my original argument. Fixed now

My original reasoning was ..."WTF, another?"... because I found it funny that this issue didn't get debated in the past 3 months, and then all of a sudden you have two threads within a week.

Therefore, since most engines use TTY bolts I just wanted to set a record straight on those bolts by addressing the majority. Not that there's anything wrong with the 22R/RE

Last edited by marko3xl3; 11-17-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM

Yeah, my thread was the first one. I've talked to a few different Toyota techs, one of which is doing a headgasket on my 95 4runner right now and they have all told me that you can reuse the headbolts. Now, I have researched the TTY bolts and what from people have told me on YotaTech it seems to me that you need new ones but why do the techs insist that you don't? My girlfriend's cousin is fixing my HG and he works for Newport Toyota in Rhode Island and is an excellent mechanic. He has assured me that I don't need new headbolts but I convinced him to get them anyways. I guess my question is, Why would multiple different Toyota Technicians say there was no need for new new headbolts if there was? What do randonm people on YotaTech know that they don't, being that this is what they do for a living? The whole TTY headbolt concept makes sense to ME but why would all these Toyota Tech's who should know better say otherwise?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

It's one of those mysteries of dealership life. Whenever you walk into a Toyota dealership, you'll get the "Toyota is awesome" bashed right out of you. Same concept. Some of those differences in opinion you'll never be able to explain, some you can however guess at.

As far as the head bolt issue...I think stealers are trying to save/steal money wherever they can, so maybe it's something related to that? Maybe some technicians didn't/don't know that some engines require TTY bolts while others don't? It's all speculation, but one thing is for sure...you can't change the definition of TTY.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by pruney81
Yeah, my thread was the first one. I've talked to a few different Toyota techs, one of which is doing a headgasket on my 95 4runner right now and they have all told me that you can reuse the headbolts. Now, I have researched the TTY bolts and what from people have told me on YotaTech it seems to me that you need new ones but why do the techs insist that you don't? My girlfriend's cousin is fixing my HG and he works for Newport Toyota in Rhode Island and is an excellent mechanic. He has assured me that I don't need new headbolts but I convinced him to get them anyways. I guess my question is, Why would multiple different Toyota Technicians say there was no need for new new headbolts if there was? What do randonm people on YotaTech know that they don't, being that this is what they do for a living? The whole TTY headbolt concept makes sense to ME but why would all these Toyota Tech's who should know better say otherwise?
You are still not mentioning what engine you are talking about...
Old 11-18-2006, 04:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
from another thread I think he has a 3vze...
Old 11-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Yep it's the v6

Quick Reply: Head bolt debate??