Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hand Brake Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hand Brake Conversion?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't like the dash mounted pull back style parking/hand brake. With my interior torn apart I start imagining all sorts of mods. The other day I was thinking of a hand brake that either pulled up (horizontal handle with longitudinal vehicle orientation like many vehicles) or pulled back (vertical handle rally car style). Has anyone done this or know what it would take?

I found this: http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog...?cPath=562_599

But, I'd prefer to keep the cable system with a push button release like my old Volkswagens. That way I could use it as a driving hand brake and also a parking brake. I think the cable system would be a simpler conversion for me.

[Edit]: Hmmm . .. . maybe I should have posted this in Offroad Tech or Fab . .

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 04-18-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Interesting . . . . as I'm looking at the four bolts that hold down the stock center console I can envision a mounting plate for an e-brake handle assembly. I notice a round black sticker just in front of the rear two bolts on the centerline of the hump. I remove the sticker and . . . . a small hole in the cab is underneath. Was this cab ever used anywhere with a between the seats e-brake?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

This one has a cable attachment option:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...T&pcode=RIX650
Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, that dash mounted parking brake is awesome off road. I use it on the trails constantly, and wouldn't change it for anything.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, but I was thinking that the dash mounted e-brake seems a whole lot harder to use to induce rear end slide when cornering, i.e. as a driving hand brake. I'm thinking about smooth and efficient right hand transition between steering, rear wheel braking, and shifting. I think it works fine for use as a parking brake to keep the vehicle stationary. Is this what you mean by how you use it offroad? I don't know what configuration is best for rockcrawling. I haven't done much if any rockcrawling.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Have you considered these?

http://www.mico.com/literature/blocks.php3
Old 04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Parking/Hand Brake Turn

Applies To: FWD, RWD, AWD without limited-slip/locked centre differential
Usage: Turning the car around very tight hairpins and turns, even on dry pavement. Destabilizer.
Theory of Operation: The hand brake is connected to rear wheels only. Applying the hand brake will cause instant loss of traction in the rear, making the rear slide out.
Instructions: If in a RWD or AWD, press clutch pedal until release of hand brake.

For super tight turn: Turn the steering wheel half a rotation in the turn direction and apply hand brake for as long as you wish to rotate. Ideally the car should nearly stop moving all together by the time you are done rotating. Let go of hand brake slightly ahead of the time you wish to stop rotating. The higher the speed, and the more slippery it is, the harder to stop the rotation.

For destabilizing: Turn the steering wheel half a rotation in the turn direction and apply hand brake for a brief moment - only enough to cause sideway sliding of the rear wheels. Then re-engage clutch and come on the throttle.

Notes: Works very well (and should never be used other than) at low speeds.

[Edit] The high center of gravity of a Toyota 4WD vehicle should also be considered.

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 04-18-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with spindleshanks, I prefer it to a "hand" brake...I know I dont like how its gone on 3rd gen runners, and foot only on 4th..But have you considered a console from a 3rd gen runner???
Old 04-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Are you building a drift car out of a toyota pickup?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
Thanks, but I was thinking that the dash mounted e-brake seems a whole lot harder to use to induce rear end slide when cornering, i.e. as a driving hand brake.
I think you've been watching too much Initial D. You'd need a lot of balls to be pulling the handbrake to make turns at any sort of speed. Although, I also am not a fan of the pull style handbrake and am interested in an alternative mechanism. While your vehicle is apart think of something, i'll be ripping mine apart soon to beef up the security system, as last weekend some asian kids tried to steal my rig. A new handbrake system may do the trick to fill that void I have between the two seats.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spindleshanks
Dude, that dash mounted parking brake is awesome off road. I use it on the trails constantly, and wouldn't change it for anything.
no kidding, though the older ones were a little easier to do a quick brake/release if necessary because they didn't have the button to push while turning.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Originally Posted by 4x4nala
But have you considered a console from a 3rd gen runner???
No I haven't. I'll have to check that out. Does it incorporate a different hand brake mechanism?

Originally Posted by wrenchmonster
Are you building a drift car out of a toyota pickup?
No, but my STI would be too expensive to convert to gravel trim. So, I can only play rally driver in my truck.

Originally Posted by Crymson
I think you've been watching too much Initial D. You'd need a lot of balls to be pulling the handbrake to make turns at any sort of speed.
Nope again, just too much WRC. There's something very cool about having a wide assortment of driving skills and the tools to execute them. I've been told I have guts before.

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
no kidding, though the older ones were a little easier to do a quick brake/release if necessary because they didn't have the button to push while turning.
Yeah, the push the button and twist to release thing . . . not to mention the awkward reaching position to manipulate the brake is what gets me. It's a dandy parking brake. That's all.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone!

No I haven't. I'll have to check that out. Does it incorporate a different hand brake mechanism?
In my moms '00 its a hand brake like you are looking for....and I too hand brake it on gravel with speed....espically in my rental cars....by the time I turned the last one it the e-brake hardly worked
Old 04-19-2006, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

The push button locks can be easily disabled. It's just a spring button and lock assembly afterall. Alternatively, find a really old truck (1960s or '70s) that doesn't have the safety push button.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you don't have to go that old, they were like that until at least '84 -- mine had the old style!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I looked into things a bit further this evening. I removed the e-brake cable and handle assembly as well as the speedo cable. I had a new speedo cable waiting to go in. I think a new hand brake cable will work a lot like a brake cable on a bike . . . . just a heavier cable and housing. Thankfully, my bike shop mechanic experience will come in handy. Assuming I find a handle that will work I'll just need to figure out a forward mounting position for the housing. Hopefully, I will find a handle with the right ergonomics that also has a ratcheting lock feature. Ideally I'd like to find a ratcheting lock that I can turn on or off so that I can easily use it as a hand brake.

I removed the whole dash this evening too. How many hp is that worth?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM

I wish my 3rd gen had the old style. Your hand is right there when shifting around 1st gear.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Does somebody have a picture of the 3rd generation e-brake handle assembly? Or, are you gonna make me look like a would be car thief the next time I see a 3rd gen in a parking lot.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:31 PM

Does somebody have a picture of the 3rd generation e-brake handle assembly? Or, are you gonna make me look like a would be car thief the next time I see a 3rd gen in a parking lot.

I vote for the ladder
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, no ladder and no suspicious peering into 4rnr windows in parking lots.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...58&postcount=1

It looks like the '98 hardware might work??

http://www.4runners.org/articles/cupholder/

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 04-20-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Hand Brake Conversion?