Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gun Rack for Pickups w/ Beer Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
okay, I've got it...
mount the gun on a turret above the cab with a 3d gimbal allowing 360 degree motion across 3 axis of rotation.
Rat Patrol FTW!!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean jackal style? Haha yeah.

Yeah I'd really like to not have them behind my seat, but if all else fails, I guess that'll probably work. I'd just like to have em close at hand. You never know when that 12 point buck just happens to appear on the side of the road, and you haven't made a deer slaying front bumper yet, so you really aint wanna hit it with your truck. True story

The only non-handgun that I have that'd fit on the door would be either my sawed-off, or my door buster with a foldover stock. Both of which aint for deer/hog hunting
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
You mean jackal style? Haha yeah.

Yeah I'd really like to not have them behind my seat, but if all else fails, I guess that'll probably work. I'd just like to have em close at hand. You never know when that 12 point buck just happens to appear on the side of the road, and you haven't made a deer slaying front bumper yet, so you really aint wanna hit it with your truck. True story

:
yeah i been there done that. i wanted a gun rack, but it would be hell trying to get a gun out of the rack when the deers on the side of the road... their attention span is only so long, by the time you finally get the gun out all you can see is a white ass. thats why my gun is always in the seat next to me, that way all i gotta do is throw the clip in and your ready, but if you really feel the need for a rack get an overhead, just watch your head when you hit a bump
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Heres an idea that ive been thinking about. Mount it on the inside of the roof back near the back of the seats. If you fab it right your should be able to hold 2 shotguns even long barrels. Ive measered it up with my ext cab but you should be able to with single cab if you get inventive. Only problem is you have to make it your self.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chrishf12
It was similar to this mounted with self tapping screws on each end

http://www.amazon.com/GEE-TS2-SLIP-G...063049&sr=1-15
That was just the sort of idea I was going to suggest. The only question is would you be opening yourself up to a concealed/illegal transport charge.
Around here they want the weapon[s] transported in a locked case with a trigger lock and the ammo in a seperate [locked?] container.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Well I have a concealed handgun license, so it's really a moot issue for me, BUT down here, you can drive with any rifle/shotgun laying on the front seat in plain sight as long as they're not loaded.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:00 PM

can you lower the seat height and rock the inside roof-rac? mod the rac w/ quick release locks, and have a small ammo pouch behind pass seat?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Screw a gun rack...just mount it on top
for easier access...
remember... that guy that used to be here... osamabinladen, he did that to his, remember? lmao! and... whats a beer window??
Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a beer window is the rer sliding window on a pick up

you know when your done drinking your beer you throw it in the back!

i think thats what it is lol
Old 06-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Our rules are a little moer strict but if you are off a named hiway you can have your gun unlocked and in your lap as long as it is not loaded. I think I am going to get an atv style gun case and mount it to a back rack behind the "beer window" This mod is onthe back burner as hunting season isn't for a few months.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you get a regular ol gun rack, you're just gonna have to ditch the beer like the rest of us do...the time honored tradition of throwing it on the roof so it slides into the bed when you are going slow. Some people these days.....I have a 4Runner, so I have probably about $5 worth of scrap aluminum under the seats.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:41 PM

okay, here's my final suggestion:
bolt some flat bar across the back of the seat just below your shoulder height, then make a hinge on the right side... some more flat bar and another hinge... a vertical pivot and a pair of clamps to hold the gun. then the gun could fold out of the way when you don't want it and get pulled forward and positioned with your right arm as you're driving.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:02 AM

Hmm... Would that work with a bench seat? If it would, I think that'd be a great idea!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 AM

You know you're American when...
Old 06-14-2008, 10:21 AM

I have an 84' std cab and I have the same problem. I'm thinking about cutting out the rear wall ( the one w/all those bumps ) and replacing it with a piece of 10 ga diamond plate ( reinforced of course as not to compromise the cab integerity) that wil give me a nice flat surface to mount a gun rack plus a few other gooddies. I'm also gonna be installing some bucket seats at the same time. I have two pair of honda seats, 1 from a 91' CRX sans the sliders so no mounting brackets for those and the 2nd pair from a 94' prellude(spelling sucks) that are complete. I would prefer the crx seats just cause they are smaller and they have a hole in the headrest ( hope to add a 5 point harness) but the lude' seats are complete w/ no tears and are nice and comfy.Any ideas from you guys or maybe someone knows where I can get a pair of sliders for my crx seats.

Last edited by pyro; 06-14-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Hmm... Would that work with a bench seat? If it would, I think that'd be a great idea!
The back of the bench seat on the 84-88s is hollow and open to the back [at least on the DLXs] so you could attach the rack to the seat back itself.
It would offer you security and also very easy access with the seat flipped forward plus you'd still have a reasonable amount of space against the back wall to store junk.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM

didn't realize it was a bench...
okay... my final, final suggestion:
suspend em from the ceiling with some of those camper/rv overhead pulldown mechanisms and a tv shelf turntable bearing plate whatchamahoozit. then you just pull em down and pivot round to shoot
Old 06-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Just make a nice pivot that attaches to the driverside mirror so you can swing it around and aim with one hand while driving with the other

I usually just keep my gun on the floor in the backseat in its case, but i rarely have to get it out in a hurry...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM

I finally decided to compromise. Just load 3" high charge slugs in the sawed off and put er up here:

Fits nice
Old 06-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
You know you're American when...
Your gun rack, has a gun rack on it...Hyuck!

.....oh wait....I think thats for rednecks...

Quick Reply: Gun Rack for Pickups w/ Beer Windows?