Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

got a quick cv axle question

Old 08-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a quick cv axle question

in the process of puttin on my bj spacers, my passenger side axle boot got twisted up and tore...is the axle bad?? would i be able to drive with this condition?? im not familar with 4wd setups.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you drive with it all the grease will fly out and the dirt gets in.

You want to replace the boot as soon as possible.

You could drive with it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to dissasemble that entire joint and clean it all up when you get the new boot/grease.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's toast.

I replaced my CV's when I did my lift with Autozone lifetime warranty CV's and no sooner than I put them on I put a pinhole in one of the boots in the same way you're talking about. I took it back and swapped it out no questions asked.

They're definitely worth the $69 they charge. I suggest you go ahead and get a few of them. It really isn't worth it to try changing the boots or using those boot repair thingies. Once you get lifetime CV's you never have to worry about that again.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
It's toast.
???? A torn boot does not deem an entire CV shaft junk. Don't feed misinformation - this guy has no experience with CV's.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:12 PM

Btw, to answer the question, yes you can drive with it like that but it will sling grease everywhere if you don't have manual hubs. If you don't have the time or money to fix or replace the CV right now I think I'd just pull the CV off and drive without it as opposed to driving with it torn up like that.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 111db
???? A torn boot does not deem an entire CV shaft junk. Don't feed misinformation - this guy has no experience with CV's.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post.

So in your opinion the boot is fine and just needs a little duct tape huh?

It's easier and cheap to just replace the entire CV. Obviously he doesn't have that much experience with these trucks and the last thing I would do is give bad information.

Think before you post.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:16 PM

I'd just pull the CV off and drive without it as opposed to driving with it torn up like that.
How do you cover the diff input so all the diff fluid doesn't come puking out and dirt goes in? That would cause way more problems than a torn CV boot.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:22 PM

So in your opinion the boot is fine and just needs a little duct tape huh?
Check my first post again. That isn't what I said.

Think before you post.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:32 PM

I'd love to argue with you all night, really I would, but my internet is almost at a standstill. Let me get Comcast out here next week and we can resume...

As for the diff, either we're talking about 2 different diffs or I'm completely lost here. How can fluid leak out of a sealed diff by removing the CV?

You could get a little dirt up in the hub from removing it but you could solve that with a small piece of paper wadded up and stuffed in there. I've never driven with one out before but it doesn't seem like it would hurt anything...

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 08-18-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:36 PM

You can buy a new boot or go the Autozone route. I've replaced several this way - no problems.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 PM

As for the diff, either we're talking about 2 different diffs or I'm completely lost here. How can fluid leak out of a sealed diff by removing the CV?
Yep. Two different diffs. Can't do it on a 3rd gen. Haven't had my 87 for almost 10 years. I forgot that the CV bolts on the diff.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:27 PM

aight kewl so i can just buy a boot and slap it on...thats the same thing the guys at my shop were saying i just wanted some of the yota folk's experience...
Old 08-18-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 92whiteyota
aight kewl so i can just buy a boot and slap it on...thats the same thing the guys at my shop were saying i just wanted some of the yota folk's experience...
Well just make sure you get a good boot kit. For $10 O'Reilly's carriers a lifetime boot kit. Just make sure you get the correct clamp pliers, AutoZone carriers a loner you can use.

The outer joint is more a pain to do becuase of the lock ring but it sounds like probably it's your inner boot that tore? I'd say a easy fix and not worth buying a $60 axle for.

The only issue with a torn boot is when it's on a ADD setup since it will always be turning and can run dry (but nothing deathly soon). Otherwise keeping it out of the dirt and mud would be fine till you fix it.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bear80
Well just make sure you get a good boot kit. For $10 O'Reilly's carriers a lifetime boot kit. Just make sure you get the correct clamp pliers, AutoZone carriers a loner you can use.

The outer joint is more a pain to do becuase of the lock ring but it sounds like probably it's your inner boot that tore? I'd say a easy fix and not worth buying a $60 axle for.

The only issue with a torn boot is when it's on a ADD setup since it will always be turning and can run dry (but nothing deathly soon). Otherwise keeping it out of the dirt and mud would be fine till you fix it.

well it was outer boot next to the hub, im thinking about gettin new axles since im gonna have to take apart everything to do the boots??
Old 08-19-2007, 07:06 AM

Unless you're completely confident in your ability to repair the boot that's what I would (did) do. Once you get the lifetime CV's no matter what happens to them you can always take them back...

Do it once, do it right...
Old 08-19-2007, 07:50 AM

Once you get the lifetime CV's no matter what happens to them you can always take them back...
Not to contradict you, because I've also got the LLT CV half shafts from AutoZone, but it also states in the warranty:

"The warranty does not cover defects due to improper installation, other defective parts, low fluid levels, abuse, or commercial, off-road or marine use."

It's probably up to the local store employee to determine if the damage was caused by any of those listed exceptions. Which is why you should visit them often and get to know all of them; they might be more likely to replace your busted parts under warranty if you're a friend and shop there often. A familiar face can go a long way in softening someone's opinion on whether damage is due to improper installation or off-road use, or just plain old wear and tear.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 AM

As an aside, when I was shopping for CV shafts, my local Autozone stocked remans from ARI. I did a little research and found ARI was in bankruptcy. Take it for what its worth, but I decided not to buy a 'lifetime warranty' part by a manufacturer in bankruptcy.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Unless you're completely confident in your ability to repair the boot that's what I would (did) do. Once you get the lifetime CV's no matter what happens to them you can always take them back...

Do it once, do it right...
I still don't get your point here. I'm not one to argue but saying a new CV is the right way is just flat wrong. I'd MUCH rather trust the oem joints/shaft to a "remanufatured" one. I looked at a shaft Autozone carries, it did NOT have an original Toyota inner joint. The flange did not have two half moon cutouts but was instead a complete disk. --- This would make it a real PITA to get around the diff. So if that is different, is the whole thing up to strenght?? NO dice.

Changing even the outter joint just requires a brass drift and cautious but firm hits. It's still a one maybe two banna job, just got some grease to clean up.

Last edited by Bear80; 08-19-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 PM

Unless you're completely confident in your ability to repair the boot
What's so hard about replacing a boot? If you can figure out how to remove your cv axle in the first place, you should have no problem changing out a boot.

There is no reason to replace a perfectly good OEM cv with aftermarket garbage. Especially when you can simply replace the boot for 12 bucks.

Last edited by ChickenLover; 08-19-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 PM

Your boots shot! your best bet is to get ride of that junk come drop it off my place ill take it off your hands for free, i live 5min away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got a quick cv axle question