Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

got a front-end squeak. suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a front-end squeak. suggestions?

after playing in the mud a bit and hitting some rocky trails, i've got a nasty loud squeak coming from the driver side front IFS somewhere. it doesn't squeak on compression but rather when springing back to normal height. i can make it happen when the truck is stationary by lifting up on the bumper or frame. it does not squeak on braking, though the sound is similar. i recently had the steering relay rod recall work done, fwiw, but the squeak happens regardless of the position of the steering wheel or whether it's at rest or under some tension. here's what i've tried so far...despite all, it still squeaks:

• unbolted the front driver side shock and moved it away from the mount
  • used a high-pressure nozzle to blast some sand and mud out
  • sprayed copious amounts of silicone lubricant on all four control arm bushings and have driven it a bit to work that in
  • grabbed and shaken various things like the CVs and skid plate
  • sprayed silicone lubricant on the ball joints
  • first lubricated, then removed the driver side sway bar mount
sometimes when i'm driving and it squeaks like that, i can feel a bit of a tap under my left foot, kind of like metal gently hitting something it shouldn't. it's not like a tap directly beneath my foot, but rather something connected to something connected to the floor.

any suggestions on either what else to spray silicone lubricant into, or some tests that would eliminate things (like the unbolting the shock test did)?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

same thing.

not trying to hijack, but i think i have the same squeak. mine developed right after replacing CV boots on the driver side. Everything up front suspension-wise is stock so far and I've not tried greasing anything yet (maybe that should be the first step) but if you find anything new out, let me know. I'll be sure to do the same for you!

-Thanks!
Old 06-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

is yours a loud chirp that's enough to make bystanders turn around? mine sure is, and dang annoying. i've tried sticking my head under there and making it squeak, and it's really hard to localize.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

yep

yeah. i get strange looks but i just tell myself... yeah, they're just wishing they had my cool ride.... squeaks and all.

i've done about everything except literally jump on the hood and have someone listen. leaned, pushed, pulled, shoved, poked, proded. you get the point. can't identify it for the life of me.

i remember reading a thread started by 4x4fink about a squeak he had on a 3rd gen after his lift a bit back. i'll go dig that up again and see if there's anything useful.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm relatively certain all your squeaks can be tied to one thing; the stop bolts for the steering. Grease them and you'll be fine. They are located underneath everthing and are easily visible from under the front of the truck.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

nope.

squeaks when steering wheel is straight-up 12 o'clock. and i grease those fairly often. that was more of a grinding sound for me. thanks for suggestion though.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

just a thought, check the front fenders where they would normally attach to the stock bumper. there is a bracket and bolt in there that may be rubbing somewhere. i had to twist mine out of the way to eliminate the squeak i had.

lee
Old 06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

thanks all for the suggestions. lee, i have no bracket and bolt in the fender location you named (due to the aftermarket bumper offering nothing to tie into and the valance being a long-ago memory) but i *will* use the info and consider such sources. it's definitely from under the vehicle, and tnrabbit i will go on a search-and-destroy mission for the stop bolts. could i beg for a photo or a bit more description of where those are? i'll have a look at the FSM but with those exploded drawings sometimes it's tough to figure out where things actually are.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

pic

kinda of hard to find something if you dont know what you're looking for... but here's a pic to attempt to help. this is just one i had saved, so if you need a better one let me know and i'll be glad to help.

thats on the inside of the front tire.theres one on the front side and back side of the a-arm.

its the green circle. the two black circles are on the bottom of the lower ball joint.

the metal "chunk" above the left black circle is what the bolt rubs against.

hope that helps... if it doesn't, feel free to yell at me and i'll try to take a better pic.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

OH, those. thanks for posting the picture... yeah this isn't caused by those -- i can have the truck stationary and just lift it up and it'll squeak -- those bolts don't touch and aren't swivelled by this movement. from underneath the marker light where i can sit, it sounds like it's coming from the lower control arm bushings, but who knows...

Last edited by photoleif; 06-18-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by photoleif
the squeak happens regardless of the position of the steering wheel

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I'm relatively certain all your squeaks can be tied to one thing; the stop bolts for the steering. Grease them and you'll be fine. They are located underneath everthing and are easily visible from under the front of the truck.
Not very good at actually reading the posts are you TNRabbit? Not trying to be a prick, but you do this alot.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

squeak eliminated!

turns out it was the driver side lower ball joint -- one of the ones from total chaos. they're made to run dry, i'm told, but a thimbleful of oil on top made all the difference.