Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got all the parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got all the parts

Well I finally got everything I need to start putting the engine back together... found a new head because my other one was cracked... and I also got a new RV Camshaft 268° .425 and timing chain with the metal driver side guide both from Engnbldr...

Also going to put in a new oil filter, water pump, seals, new belts, and can't think of anything else...

Then I got a new Magnaflow carsound highflow cat and a new 18" Magnaflow muffler... all the exhaust is going to be 2.25"... and finally today the last peice showed up... the new Thorley headers...

Ian

Oh and I made this post mainly for when I get it all back together I will tell if it's any better and if so how...

Last edited by Toyota_4Runner; 07-14-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be very interested in the outcome of this. I would like to do pretty much the same exact setup. Right now though I'm concentrating on suspension and driveline. Power will be later, if my motor can just hang in there.

Mike
Old 07-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
I'll be very interested in the outcome of this. I would like to do pretty much the same exact setup. Right now though I'm concentrating on suspension and driveline. Power will be later, if my motor can just hang in there.

Mike
Yeah I'll be sure to tell you...

Both the guides on here were just completely ruined...

Anyone need a new exhaust?? I'll go cheap!

Last edited by Toyota_4Runner; 08-09-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Well the piece that I have needed is done! I got the new head and new gaskets... we took it to a machine shop and they had to switch everything from the cracked head to the new one... valves and all...

Now we can put it all together...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Contributing Member

Dang its been awhile lol but we have been real busy with other stuff so the 4Runner wasnt a real priority... well we got everything put together and back in... got my new custom exhaust... its tighttttt....

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them on here... I'll also try and get a sound clip...
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 AM

You mean to tell us that after teasing us with the photos of what all you were putting on/in your rig you did'nt take pictures of anything except the finished product ?!?!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94x4
You mean to tell us that after teasing us with the photos of what all you were putting on/in your rig you did'nt take pictures of anything except the finished product ?!?!
Ehh... basically lol... got in a real hurry towards then end...

What can ya say?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota_4Runner
Ehh... basically lol... got in a real hurry towards then end...

What can ya say?

BOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Well took it home today from the muffler shop... here are some pictures of it... I'll try and get a sound clip... but we did do one thing wrong... ahh... lol so when I wake up tomorrow I have to change the lash on the new camshaft that we got... we forgot it was different than the factory one... so it should be ready after that...

Old 08-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

is that sensor safe RTV? if not, plan on replacing your o2 sensor soon...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superjoe83
is that sensor safe RTV? if not, plan on replacing your o2 sensor soon...
The O2 sensor safe with the silicon on it? I guess I would think so we didnt get it on it anywhere besides the gasket... we just put a little on the outside...

But I dunno I'll check around... if so I was going to buy one here soon anyways...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

when the silicone dries, it lets off a gas which will harm the sensor, generally the orange stuff is not sensor safe, i would run it for a few weeks before switching sensors to make sure that the silicone has fully cured, it may still damage the sensor even after its cured, but I'm not 100% sure on that...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

looks hot! how do you like the sound? magnaflow =
Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by superjoe83
when the silicone dries, it lets off a gas which will harm the sensor, generally the orange stuff is not sensor safe, i would run it for a few weeks before switching sensors to make sure that the silicone has fully cured, it may still damage the sensor even after its cured, but I'm not 100% sure on that...
Yeah I guess it would burn off and that makes since about it affecting it... I guess I just didnt even think about it and just put it on... thanks for the info though man... I'll probably just scrape it off and then clean it and just by a new sensor... this one was lookin pretty rough anyways...
Old 08-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by r0cky
looks hot! how do you like the sound? magnaflow =
Hey Rocky thanks! Well going to have to wait on the sound part till tomorrow... only started it up for a second and decided to wait to reset the camshaft tomorrow... but when I run it I'll be sure to tell how it sounds on the ol 4banger...

Sure does look nice under there though... the guy who did it is AMAZING
Old 08-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

that's awesome, and i bet (hope) you'll love how it sounds.

i need to get a new exhaust tip soon ... but man, those shiny headers look pretty sweet ... hmmm ...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:18 AM

O'kay, I guess we'll just have to be satisfied with the "after" pics of your mods.

The header looks good on there and from what I can see of the beads on the site, the installer did a hella job with those welds.

Although I do question the use of RTV silicone on the header's fittings, I mean , is that stuff even high temp safe?? I'll admit that I've never seen itused in such a way and it's got me curious.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

It's high temp RTV for use with exhausts and headers etc...I'f got it on mine and its held up just fine thru 6k miles so far its what they recomend.
Ian- Are Thorley's headers like NWORs where they don't use a gasket rather just the RTV? Oh and BTW you're missing your bumper
Old 08-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94x4
O'kay, I guess we'll just have to be satisfied with the "after" pics of your mods.

The header looks good on there and from what I can see of the beads on the site, the installer did a hella job with those welds.

Although I do question the use of RTV silicone on the header's fittings, I mean , is that stuff even high temp safe?? I'll admit that I've never seen itused in such a way and it's got me curious.
Yeah the guy who put the exhaust on there is just amazing... the welds are more than perfect from what I can tell... way more than I expected... but I guess it always helps to know the guy hah...

Yeah and about the silicone... it said in the instructions that Thorley sent with to use it on the headers... so we did...

Only thing I am wondering about now is around the gasket on the O2 sensor...
Old 08-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
It's high temp RTV for use with exhausts and headers etc...I'f got it on mine and its held up just fine thru 6k miles so far its what they recomend.
Ian- Are Thorley's headers like NWORs where they don't use a gasket rather just the RTV? Oh and BTW you're missing your bumper
Hey ya its the high temp RTV... and was recommended so I am sure it will work just fine... actually the Thorley headers came with gaskets also so we just used the gaskets and RTV...

lol yeah I have been lookin for a new bumper for a lonnng time! Even a wanted add in the classifieds... oh well I will just have to wait!

Quick Reply: Got all the parts