Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gears from Taco to 4rnr...will they fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Gears from Taco to 4rnr...will they fit?

Hello,

Will stock 4.88's w/e-locker from a Taco fit in either an '86 or '92 4rnr rear end?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but the housing needs to be modified....

http://carterswebsite.com/4runner/mo...er/#TOOLS_USED
Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Hmmm.....scratch that, for now. Thanks for replying.

Head's up then, for anyone on the hunt....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-07...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

I thought you were talking about the e-locker itself?? The gears will fit fine...but they are not stock gears.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 AM

I know they aren't for the '86 with a man. tranny, but I thought they were for the '92 with an auto. I was just reading a thread where someone said they were.

In the case of the '86, I thought the 4.88's would be a start on a regearing upgrade w/ the added benefit of a rear locker. For the '92, if it is actually stock gears for it, the locker would be great.

Regardless, doing all that modifying for an e-locker is not within my scope at the moment.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Just weld the spider gears thook
Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 AM

lol...they're both DD's. Wouldn't be prudent..hehe.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM

Oh come on. You know you want to

Mine are welded and it's a DD. Your tread wear is just accelerated a little. Rotate more often, and it aint too bad.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Yeah, there's the tread wear. But, what about the driveline and gear wear? And just how accelerated are we talkin'?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:51 PM

Well, I rag the bloody hell outta mine. Burn outs on dry pavement, runnin em in water way over the diff breather and forgetting to change the fluid for a while, runnin em without lube for a while till I remember to fill up the diff again cause my right rear seal is blown, drivin like a bat outta hell on the road, drivin like a flaming swarm of bats outta hell off the road, and generally abusing the hell outta it, but have never blown a r&p.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:56 PM

So yours is welded and try to kill it..lol? Hmmm...I drive like an old man..lol. Plus, I'm a ninny when it comes to keeping up with the fluids and such. So, IF I did have mine welded, I take it you're saying I shouldn't have any prob's...so long as I keep in 2wd when on pavement?

Last edited by thook; 05-02-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM

Ooooh Clint....why you disappear?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 AM

Ah, sorry lost track lol. Well, mine is only welded in the rear. I was gonna have the front done, but I asked around, and people said it's not really a good idea with ifs because you can bind it up pretty badly. I'm still thinkin about doin it though. A bud of mine has had great results with his, though it's a heep. But I think it's pretty cool though because when you lock up the front, its perfectly fine for on road traveling when you're in 2wd with your hub unlocked. You'd never notice.

But yeah, I have my rear locked up. Even though it wears the tires down a little bit faster, I love hearin the tires chirp and scarin people makin em think I'm haulin ass straight for em, and the times it's saved my butt in the mud make it totally worth it to me. That, and the fact that I got it done for a case of beer
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM

Oh, and the only real "bad" thing about lockin up the rear is that it makes drivin in the rain... Interestin. Especially when you aint got no ABS, only front brakes, and a locked rear diff. Yeah, my friends call me the drift king now. Too bad it was all unintentional. Though I'll admit the time I slide through an intersection spinning 360s without hittin anything was pretty damn impressive. Even the cop thought so!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM

Uhhh...why do you only have front brakes? That in itself is scary.

Under what conditions do the tires chirp? (Can you tell I'm seriously thinking about it?..lol) Just in a turn? And how much faster would you say they wear? Although, considering your driving, I'm not sure you're the person to be asking...

After thinking about the idea a bit, it occurred to me that a friend from long ago had a Mustang that had posi-trac rear end. What would be the difference between that and welding the rear? It just seems to me if it was that big a deal why would manufacturers be making vehicles with a locked rear? Unless, of course, I am mistaken and the two are different animals.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:29 PM

Well at that time, I only had fronts because my lspv was horribly bent and my wheel cylinders were leakin, so I had to clamp em off. Got the wheel cylinders fixed, and my lspv is only a little bit bent now lol.

I'd say the tire wear is 2x as fast as normal. But with rotating it often, it's slightly less noticable. I really couldn't tell you accuratly cause I always get tires for dirt cheap from my bud's who own offroadin shops, but they've only got 50-75% left when I get my hands on em. Never gotten brand new meats and tracked how fast it eats em up.

As for chirping, while driving at any speed above 15mph, it is not noticable when making a turn. It also depends what what type of tire you have. Soft rubber compound tires are gonna grab and wear alot more and are also gonna chirp like a mofo. Places I chirp most often are in parking lots and gas stations. It handles a tad different, but nothin "OMG". Unless of course you're spinnin through an intersection that is...

LSD? Never liked em for offroadin. Yeah they're just dandy on road, and good for racin and rainy weather. But I don't really care about that! LSD's will send more power to the tire with more traction (instead of the tire with the least traction like an open diff), or will lock up both tires depending on the condition. They are a few different types of LSD's. But the major downside of LSDs for us off roaders, is still when you get one tire off the ground into the air, only that tire will spin. People say they can get them to lock up if they hold the brakes while drivin, but I've never tried it. I only drive real trucks, and real trucks have lockers, not limited slip differentials

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-04-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:51 AM

Twice as fast? That's more than a little..hehe. Regardless of the "interestin" aspects, that could get expensive for someone like me. I like to run BFG AT's and they're soft enough that they wouldn't probably wouldn't last long.

But, I sure would hate to get in an emergency situation like that. Nothing like getting banged up in a wreck. Had a pretty serious one back in January. I was the only person involved and I didn't get hurt except tweaking my back, but the '92 got all twisted up. (Went flyin' about 8ft in the air!) Still working on getting it all straightened out with the frame and minor body damage, but it could have been much worse.....and that's enough to take less chances for me.

Ah well, it's fun to entertain. I'll just keep looking for an inexpensive locker.

Thanks for taking the time to explain a bit, Clint.