86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gas tank compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas tank compatibility

My son has a '92 4x4 22RE truck that was sitting before he bought it. The gas tank was toast, full of rust and nasty-smelling varnish. We did some part number research on RockAuto, and it looked like the truck tanks are a different part number from the 4Runners, 4wd are different from 2wd, but V6 or 22R makes no difference.

Anyway, we were able to locate a gas tank from a guy in our state that was in a truck he was parting out. The truck was a '94 4x4 extra cab with a V6. The tank looked like it may have been swapped into this truck because the fuel line had a few feet of rubber line spliced in with hose clamps. We got the tank home, hooked it up without installing it, and were able to start the truck. The fuel gauge worked as well.

However, we are unable to bolt the tank in. It is taller in the front than the stock tank, and it hits on some sort of shroud that comes down behind the cab. My guess is that this is actually a 4Runner tank, and that 4Runners don't have a shroud where the body meets up with the bed.

Does anyone know what tank will work? A guy locally says that he's got a perfect tank out of a 2wd truck with a bad fuel pump for a very reasonable price. We know we have a good fuel pump in the tank we've got, and it's the same P/N whether it originally came from a truck or 4Runner.

So, will a 2wd tank bolt into a 4x4 truck? Any reason to hold out for a 4x4 tank? Sourcing tanks used is a PITA because they can't be shipped.

Thanks for any input/help.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm in the market for a new fuel tank as well. I had mine cleaned at a radiator shop, but am not comfortable with it long term. Google: Spectra Premium TO7D Fuel Tank, and look for the best price. This assumes you have a chassis number RN110 truck.

John
Old 12-17-2011, 03:43 PM

I lucked out! We were headed to Indianapolis (about two hours away) this morning for my daughter's dive meet, so I jumped on the Indy CL last night and did a search for "Toyota" under Auto Parts. The first thing to come up was the exact tank I need, brand new. Scored it for $75 along with a few other parts I needed from a lady who is going to sell her project instead of fixing it up. It looks like I can swap the bracket/pump and sending unit over from the 4Runner tank, and we'll be in business.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 AM

Update - the 4Runner bracket is completely different and not compatible. 4Runner tanks have the little "box" for gathering fuel located towards the back of the tank, while they are in front of the bracket mount in trucks. So, no way to make the other bracket work. Looks like we're buying a new bracket as well.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have restored 2 gas tanks. One on each of my projects below. They were bad. I have it listed in each of my build threads if you want to go that route. Works great, these can be hard to find and each truck is different.

The 88s tank has nearly 30,000 miles and no problems.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:15 AM

Terrys87 - Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, I'd pretty much assumed my tank was not salvageable, as it was full of chunks of rust and the bracket was partially eaten away. As bad as it looked, and given the fact that the remnants of gas/rust/varnish was stinking up my garage, I just tossed everything.

You wouldn't happen to have a truck fp bracket laying around, would you?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM

I'm still needing a fuel pump bracket from a 4x4 truck tank. Apparently, a 2wd truck won't work, nor will one from a 4Runner. Anyone..........Bueller.........Anyone?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Still needing a fp bracket, and can't start a thread until I hit my 15 days tomorrow. Anyone have one? Can send a PayPal payment tonight!