Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Gas Mileage again.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Mileage again.

okay im really just puzzled at this point when i turn my truck off i have so much more gas then when i turn it back on the next time.

its like someone takes my gas when i park but its does not happen.

i know a lot of things are factors of gas mileage so i will state below things i have done to my 22re

PCV Valve , Harmonic Balance , Belts , Fuel Filter , Fuel Pump , Fuel Tank , Plugs Wires , Cap , Oil change , Air Filter , Battery , Thermostat , Master Cylinder/Brakes , 17" rims , low profile tires , a piece to the gear shifter , Radiator Cap , Gas Cap , Sending Unit.

sea foamed the engine and honestly i got better gas mileage when it was running rough then now i feel like the timing is off a little but if it is its a little under not over so it idles pretty low also i had a problem with the fan clutch so i bypassed the clutch and it runs constantly now.

I Have pictures of all parts and and engine and can take more if needed ill be checking this post a lot.

ps. i also drive pretty low idle so im not just burning it like crazy
Old 06-09-2012, 02:03 PM

What mileage are you getting right now?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
If you changed the tire size that is what is sucking your mpg.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM

does not seem like much ill have to track it exactly but id say 10-11 mpg and my tires are smaller then stock tires but rims are 2 inchs bigger does not mean i should lose 10 mpg especially since when i was on 36 inch swampers and heavier rims i didnt lose that much but to clarify it they are low profile class a pirelli's P225/45 R17
Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Banned

So you haven't actually logged and charted mpgs over a set period of time to have statistical data of the decrease?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:30 PM

no its called before i would turn on my truck and drive back and forth between my house and store and could do that all week without filling up now i burn a quarter a day on smaller tires and better running engine? its something so obvious that i didnt have to take notes or watch my miles my pockets and wallet show it for me.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:35 PM

and even 2 month again 5 dollars would do so much more then now.and gas has gotten almost a dollar cheaper here so im getting even more gas but spending more money cause my truck is burning it
Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

Sorry but it's hard to offer any concrete advice as to what your issue might be with your mpgs without any constraints as to how much of a drop we are actually talking about here.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM

i said 10-12 mpg what 22re you know that is sitting on small car tires does 10-12 mpg? my girlfriends old house was 7 miles away i could drive back and forth between there like the whole week and burn between a quarter to half a tank of gas now i burn a quarter driving there one time there and back.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned

Good luck figuring it out

Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't see oxygen sensor on your list. Probably worth checking out.

I also didn't see temperature sensor. Does the truck still reach operating temperature as normal? Does it smell rich running? Didja pull the plugs to find out more?

Dunno what else to say. If it's running fine... maybe you broke something in the EVAP fuel reclamation system?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Most accurate way to record gas mileage:

Fill up tank and reset trip meter
Drive car. Maybe down to a 1/2 tank, 1/4 tank, whatever youd like.
Go to gas station and fill up tank and record how much you put in.
Divide the miles on trip meter by the gallons you just put in.

Thats the only way you'll really get an accurate reading because it shows how much gas you ACTUALLY used... not how much you probably used. Going just by the fuel gauge and saying, "well it looks like i used bout half a tank" wont be as accurate.

Last edited by Toy3sgte; 06-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:10 PM

^ this

I could never tell just by looking at my gas gauge on my truck, probably because it stays full for the first 100-150 miles then drops to a quarter within 15 miles and stays there until empty!

But ya i would replace the o2 sensor. go with denso!
http://www.densoproducts.com/
Old 06-11-2012, 11:14 AM

this maybe a stupid question, but nobody has said anything about it. Have you checked to see if its leaking anywhere? I had the same problem with my Camaro, just couldnt figure why it would use a half tank in a day with little driving, then come to find out it was leaking
Old 06-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Making the fan clutch "bypassed" thus making it a solid fan will lower Mpgs as you have created more constant rotating mass.

If that 2wd toyota is getting 10mpg something is seriously wrong and its either leaking fuel.... running incorrectly... or running very rich in which case you would expect to smell a more richer exhaust?

-Check for fuel leaks
-Clean throttle body
-Check igntion timing to spec
-Check idle speed to spec
-Spark plug gap to spec
-Correct "type" spark plug (NGK Prefered)
-Dragging/sticking brakes
-Dragging/sticking/froze engine acessory drive pulleys
-Tire pressure
-Alignment
-Excessive weight on-board
-Coolant tempurature sensor
-Coolant low and or dirty/contaminated/aged
-Drivers habbits on the road
-Vacuum leaks
-Internal fuel leaks
-Exhaust leaks
-Exhaust restriction
-Incorrect oil weight
-Oil additives in crank case
-Trans axle operating correctly
Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 PM

okay well i notice the difference after the clutch fan but nearly months after before it started to happen i am not sure but the trucks computer drops timing -6 degrees? i believe so to compensate for that when doing time you go +6 degrees ? from on center no fuels leak i m aware of i have never seen signs of it or smelled it. fuel doesn't run rich
o2 sensor has never been changed

temperature sensor i dont know much about them. so go into detail i only know about the thermostat

i never have changed the plugs firing order

there no way to reset meter on dash

no pulleys on front of engine are stuck alt is new same for harmonic balancer ac is disconnected

coolant temperature sensor?

i dont know where throttle body is.

detail about internal fuel leaks?

i barely have brakes so lol
Old 06-11-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
02 is the most likely suspect... But not having any CEL SHOULD mean it's at least working SOMEWHAT.

Throttle Body is the Apparatus attached to the Intake where the intake air hose finally meets the intake. It is where your throttle cable is attached.

Coolant Temp. Sensor, yes, can also effect mileage. It's right below the Throttle body, mounted to the intake, next to the Cold Start Injector Time Switch(CTSensor is usually GREEN, CSI Time switch is usually BROWN... Mine is 87, but should be the same, IIRC).

10MPG is TERRIBLE, ESPECIALLY on a 2WD... Kiroshu is absolutely correct in everything he mentioned. Many things can trip a 'OH CRAP, IT'S LEAN' false reading and cause the computer to just DUMP fuel and go back into Open Loop(where all the sensors and fuel system go into a limp mode where everything is preset to protect the motor... How? By making sure it's VERY rich. Rich equals crappy mileage and some issues... LEAN equals... Well, DEATH to your 22RE over, sometimes, very lil time. LEAN means WAY too hot of internal combustion temps in the cylinder... So you can see why that would lead to catastrophic results. I'm having mileage issues myself. If I baby it around town and don't have to stop and go and keep it between 1st and 3rd for an hour to go 3 miles... Well, I CAN get around 17mpg/City..... But most often, the conditions are like the latter mentioned ones I just stated... SO, I often get around 12-14mpg.... IN AN 87 4WD with 31's, mildly lifted and with a Locker. 10 is terrible.

If you have no surging or otherwise ODD bucking, etc., conditions... PROBABLY not the TPS(that's the Throttle Positioning Sensor ON the Throttle Body)... But TPS being adjusted improperly can also result in terrible mileage. However, as I said, that usually comes with 'bucking' or 'surging'.... strange running things that YOU WOULD notice.

Internal fuel leaks?>>> Injectors/Failing Fuel Pressure Regulator that pulls fuel past the diaphragm and into the intake.. Things like that.

PS> One last thing that can REALLY effect mileage.... Not sure it was mentioned; Is this the original Catalytic Converter? As my original neared 254K miles... HOLY CRAPOLI, the mileage dropped as the CAT started to go bad/get clogged. It didn't hesitate, do weird stuff like that, but I DID notice less performance on the whole.

PSS> Watch the shortness, man.. Just a helpful suggestion. People taking the time to stop in, whether smart ass or not... They're input is worth withholding the sarcasm back. NO, you're not thattttttt bad... But it doesn't take much to wind up here talking to yourself, ya know? hahaha. OH, and sentences like this>>> "okay well i notice the difference after the clutch fan but nearly months after before it started to happen i am not sure but the trucks computer drops timing -6 degrees? i believe so to compensate for that when doing time you go +6 degrees ? from on center no fuels leak i m aware of i have never seen signs of it or smelled it. fuel doesn't run rich " .... I'm not sure what half of that is saying, to be honest. NOT trying to be rude, man... I swear! Just honest. If you're saying, "When I set the timing, then remove the jumper, the timing jumps back 6 Degrees from where I'd just set it"... That's perfectly normal. You should also notice, when you 'jumper the T and E1 pins in the diagnostic port, that the idle will seem to bog down a little bit... Then, when removing the jumper, the idle should come up and smooth out a little bit. IF NOT, that is usually a sign that the TPS is AT LEAST not set properly. Since you're not sure where the Throttle Body is, I'm guessing you've not messed with the TPS... So, it's doubtful that it would be 'out of adjustment'... But it COULD be... And, it could be bad, as well. I would look into this and test your TPS as well. It'll give you a better 'feel' into this lil 22RE of yours, ya know? >>>> http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

Best wishes, man
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just drove from Temecula, California to Portland, Oregon, and averaged just under 20 mpg with the A/C on, this being on 31" tires versus the stock 28" my '88 4Runner 22re / manual trans came with. And it has over 280,000 miles on the clock.

Lot's of good suggestions on what to check up above.