Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

front sup/lift question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front sup/lift question

I have an '89 1st gen runner.
Not long ago I ordered new rear leaf springs, Skyjacker 0-2" lift models. After I installed them (which was crazy hard) I saw the invoice which showed they sent me the 4" lift springs by mistake (no wonder...). Well, I like the lift but it maxed out my rear shocks which are fully extended at all times. Now I need long travel shocks, no big deal.
But what is worse, my butt is in the air and I must raise the front 1 1/2 to 2" to level it now. I know I can just use the tor. bars to accomplish this but I understand if I do, then I will effect the turning radius. So, I thought of getting 2" spacers to put above my front shocks. If I do this, will that lift the front or do I need to do anything else? Also, if I do the spacers, will I still need to adjust the tor. bars or can I leave them alone?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-17-2016, 09:22 PM

You will need ball joint spacers to level the truck not shock spacers. Riding on maxed out shocks is no fun and is a serious hazard in my opinion. I had same issue you did with maxed rear shocks. They absorb bumps pretty well but it does not allow for any droop. I don't think they sell kits to shim the rear shocks so your better off just buying a new set that allows for a 4 inch lift.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Yeah, I knew I was going to have to get long travel shocks for the rear. But before I did I wanted to have a game plan for the front, in case I ended swapping those out as well, that way they'd match.
So, you say the ball joint spacers not the shock spacers. Thanks for the info, I will look into those. But do you know if I will have to adjust the tor. bars still along with the spacers? Or will the spacers do the jog on their own and I can I leave the tor. bars alone?
thanks again
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Did the 4" leafs net you a full 4" of lift in the rear? Has it settled out yet?

Personally I'd be returning those leafs since they're not what you ordered and now you have to figure out how to compensate. I would guess with 4" lift in the back, you'll need at least 3" in the front to be somewhat satisfied with the rake. Kinda requiring a 4" bracket lift up front in order to get more than 3" of lift on your IFS. With T-bar adjustment and BJ spacers, you're really only going to be able to gain a usable 2-3" lift before you put your CVs at extreme operating angles. Ideally you'd leave your front geometry the same as stock (as it's designed), which only really happens with a bracket lift...but you get other issues with those kits (some better than others), like does the kit provide braces to compensate the extra leverage of adding 4" lowered crossmember?

If it were my rig I'd be tempted to remove a leaf to lower it in back so I didn't need a lot of lift up front. Stay with short/stock length shackles to keep it low too. T-bar adjustment will likely be a given, but BJ spacers will also help give height up front at the expense of operating angles of steering/suspension parts. In the rear you definitely want to get longer shocks designed for a 4" lift application. Another option is to triangulate and move your shock mounts to allow more travel out of them - but this requires welding and changes the functionality of the shocks too. ANOTHER option would be to do a SUA conversion, but again requires fabrication (and reduces ground clearance under axle)

T-bar adjustment shouldn't really affect your steering radius that much. yes, lifting IFS does narrow your track width slightly and will slightly change your radius, but I don't think you'll notice it much. I did notice my turning radius change when I swapped to different tires/wheels as it widened my track width around 6", but not when I lifted my truck.

Hope this helps. Lots of info to read here on YT. I'd just start reading through build threads and see what others have done to solve their suspension dilemmas. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 PM

I have had the leaf springs on way too long and they have seen way too much dirt fun to return them now. I got my runner with nearly 300k on it and the rear was sagging really bad. The gap between the tire and fender was the size of my fist, really. So, after the 1/2" settling the 4" lift springs lifted it about 5" from where it was. So, about 3" above stock height I'd say. I am fine with it and I think the front would be close to level with only 2 inches of lift.
So, it sounds like those spacers (which I did check out at 4crawler.com ) and the t bars should take care of it. So, I will save up for the spacers for the front, long travels for the back and an alignment. Or just sell some of my big stack of unused/unneeded parts.
Thanks for the help my good man. You