86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fluid specs.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fluid specs.

what are the fluid amounts for the tranny and front (im at a lose for words, the case that the cv's go into) and what fluids do u guys run? i figured while its siting still for once ill do some work on it
Old 12-09-2007, 02:17 PM

sorry for posting twice
Old 12-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
See if this helps.
This was for my '91 4Runner.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corey
See if this helps.
This was for my '91 4Runner.
<SNIP>
Ahhhh, the only problem with the Amsoil, is the steady increase in viscosity and the steady decrease in TBN over time, between changes, which is not a good thing.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Ahhhh, the only problem with the Amsoil, is the steady increase in viscosity and the steady decrease in TBN over time, between changes, which is not a good thing.

Well seeing as how TBN level is designed to cope with acids, the higher the TBN level, the longer it will cope with acids, etc. I don't see why this is surprising? All TBN levels in oils are supposed to come down over time.

Also, I'm very curious where you got your data from about the "steady increase in viscoscity" with Amsoil? Also, what are you talking about specifically? Oils? Gear Lubes? Grease? I know there was that Camaro study online (well, not really a study - the guy sent in oil analysis samples every 1000 miles and posted the results online and ran each oil for one year) of some guy who compared Mobil 1 (the basic synthetic Mobil 1, not the extended performance stuff) to Amsoil (which I believe was the XL stuff - could be wrong, not the turbo formulated stuff, the turbo formulated stuff being what's guaranteed to last something like 15,000 miles/1 year in severe service applications, the XL stuff which is designed for more like 6 month intervals, or something like that).
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 12-09-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Well seeing as how TBN level is designed to cope with acids, the higher the TBN level, the longer it will cope with acids, etc. I don't see why this is surprising? All TBN levels in oils are supposed to come down over time.

Also, I'm very curious where you got your data from about the "steady increase in viscoscity" with Amsoil? Also, what are you talking about specifically? Oils? Gear Lubes? Grease? I know there was that Camaro study online (well, not really a study - the guy sent in oil analysis samples every 1000 miles and posted the results online and ran each oil for one year) of some guy who compared Mobil 1 (the basic synthetic Mobil 1, not the extended performance stuff) to Amsoil (which I believe was the XL stuff - could be wrong, not the turbo formulated stuff, the turbo formulated stuff being what's guaranteed to last something like 15,000 miles/1 year in severe service applications, the XL stuff which is designed for more like 6 month intervals, or something like that).
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
There's another study that I can find, I have the bookmarked stuck around somewhere.
Anyway that was Amsoil (I'm talking about engine oil here), Mobil 1, Red Line, and another one or two that escape me at the moment.

At any rate regarding Amsoil, the TBN decreased faster in it than the others (though again I don't remember which Amsoil they tested) and the viscosity increased, just like in the link that you posted.

Red Line seems to be about the best synthetic available and is widely used in racing.

For instance, F1's use Red Line that's available right off the shelf for instance.

I use Red Line and have for years.
Wouldn't use anything else, synthetic wise.
Amsoil would be towards the bottom of my list.

Regarding the link that you posted (and even in the one that I have somewhere), it really should matter which Amsoil was being tested, as synthetic should never increase in viscosity over that short of time (6 months for XL or even 12 months).

Fred

Last edited by FredTJ; 12-09-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:10 PM

what about royal purple???
Old 12-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Out of curiousity - does Redline promote and stand behind extended oil change intervals with their products like Amsoil does?
Old 12-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Out of curiousity - does Redline promote and stand behind extended oil change intervals with their products like Amsoil does?
Don't know, but you can bet your butt if you get a new vehicle and don't change the oil as they recommend you'll toast the warranty.
Does Amsoil pay for it then ?
Been a while since I've read any of their stuff but they used to say/recommed changing the oil on new vehicle as recommended by the manf. during the warranty period.

Fred
Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 PM

This is what AMSOIL sent me in an email a week ago as I am doing some investigation towards switching my companies fleet of vans to amsoil and I want to figure out the warranty details:

So you are aware, if the lubricant is found to be the cause of the failure, our own warranty will cover the part/repair. If the lubricant is found to be at an adequate level for use in the application, than the OEM warranty covers the failure. I have attached a link to the AMSOIL warranty.

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx
Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 PM

This is what AMSOIL sent me in an email a week ago as I am doing some investigation towards switching my companies fleet of vans to amsoil and I want to figure out the warranty details:

So you are aware, if the lubricant is found to be the cause of the failure, our own warranty will cover the part/repair. If the lubricant is found to be at an adequate level for use in the application, than the OEM warranty covers the failure. I have attached a link to the AMSOIL warranty.

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx
Here's Amsoil's kicker:

MSOIL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT A WARRANTY CLAIM FOR ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
1. Failure to follow all OEM recommendations for warranty coverage, including lubricants, maintenance, and drain intervals, prior to the first installation of AMSOIL lubricants.
Note "failure to follow all OEM recommendations for warrant coverage......... drain intervals........"

Fred
Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Yeah, but Fred, you forgot the most important part which moots your entire point as you didn't read it thoroughly....It says:

"Failure to follow all OEM recommendations for warranty coverage, including lubricants, maintenance, and drain intervals, PRIOR to the first installation of AMSOIL lubricants."

EMPHASIS ON THE WORD "PRIOR" IN THE ABOVE SENTENCE.

Also note the email sent to me which is in writing from Amsoil.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Yeah, but Fred, you forgot the most important part which moots your entire point as you didn't read it thoroughly....It says:

"Failure to follow all OEM recommendations for warranty coverage, including lubricants, maintenance, and drain intervals, PRIOR to the first installation of AMSOIL lubricants."

EMPHASIS ON THE WORD "PRIOR" IN THE ABOVE SENTENCE.

Also note the email sent to me which is in writing from Amsoil.
Be that as it may, also note their e-mail to you.
I would suspect that it would be hell on earth if a failure occurs and the OEM drain durations had been exceeded, assuming that the "level" of the oil was ok.

I'm certainly not saying don't switch, but were it me I certainly wouldn't get into a "ya, ya" between an oil supplier and a manf. .
You'd be tied up in court until you died of old age or just quit

Fred
Old 12-09-2007, 07:42 PM

This wasn't about the switch to synthetic versus conventional and regular versus extended oil change intervals. My question was does Redline back their oils like Amsoil does after you posted some of your doubts about Amsoil without any material data to back them up.

I personally feel Amsoil is just a cut above the other synthetic oil manufacturers. Having said that I would have confidence putting any of the class 4 synthetic oils in my rig, but from now on pretty much I'm going to stick witn Amsoil. I have been running Mobil 1 more often then not up until recently because it's been more readiliy available, but I am going to go to dedicated Amsoil fluids from here on in as I've started ordering it bulk which makes it much cheaper than Mobil 1 bought locally. The other thing about Amsoil that I appreciate is everytime I have emailed them, their response has always been down to earth, and they have taken the time in email to answer my questions fully and properly. ON the other hand, I have contacted Mobil and they have always asked me to call them. If I wanted to talk to you on the phone, I would call you. I like to have things in writing, that's whyI ask you a question in writing.