Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fender Bender :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone hit me a few days ago. Here are the pictures. Anyone got any estimates on what this is going to cost by a decent body shop. Im guessing around $600

Old 04-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Someone hit me a few days ago. Here are the pictures. And anyone got any estimate on what this is going to cost by a decent body shop.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM

Double post.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't seem bad.... looks like something you could fix for less than $100 honestly. New tail light~ $20 or less, bondo & paint ~ $60-80, labor ~ free, if you do it yourself.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 PM

I'd do it myself. A good body shop is going to want an arm and a leg because they will fade the paint into the bedside to attempt to match your old faded paint job and probably charge you $100 for the tail light. Did you bend the fender or did the other guy do it? If it was them their insurance should pay for it anyways...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
$30 for a new lens, sand it/ prime it yourself and drive on...
Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 PM

Easy fix just like dropzone said. about 50 dollar fix.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 PM

*post removed*

Last edited by nothingbetter; 04-29-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 PM

Im going to get them to pay for it. Its going to get done the correct way. The paint is only 2 years old. So i dont think its going to be to faided or hard to match. (Its not OEM red) You can see on the chip the original red.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 PM

alright, I'm confused. They hit you a few days ago, you posted this today, but the watermark on the picture says 2004...that was quite a few days ago.

Any decent body shop is going to paint, blend and clear the whole box side. They will fix the dent, straighten the metal that has been pushed towards the wheel well (the damaged area is probally the size of a basketball. They are going to sand out every rock chip and remove all rust before even thinking of putting it in the paint booth. Up here, your looking at least $1300-1500. But don't be suprised it its more. A low quality body shop will charge probally half of that. They'll just fill the dent, won't fix the waves, paint over the rust and rock chips,, only paint half the box side and it will look like...a hack bodyshop did the work.

Or, like said above, you could sand out the scratches, grind out the dent, try your hand at filler work, prime it, and try to paint it. Or just smear some touch up paint on the bare metal and call it a day. All depends how much you love your truck and paint fumes.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 04-29-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM

whats up with the tailgate...looks like its already sanded. And is that a dent above your wheel well or just a reflection?

Last edited by nothingbetter; 04-28-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM

It double posted i dont know why....

The pictures were taken earlier today. They say there old because the camera eats batterys so i just gave up on setting the date everytime i replace them.

And no there is no other dent around that area. The tailgate looks that way because its covered in dust.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
My guess is that any decent body shop will likely charge about $400-500. No matter how minor the damage, there is still prep work that needs to go in and they can't just paint only the scratches. They need to blend in the paint.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
meh run it go rub some trees now
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM

For the record, I'm a bodyman. This is what I do every day. The people saying $4-600 are off their roockers. Our shop charges $80 an hour. I'm going to pick round numbers for easy math. Pull off things like the taillight, mudflap. Wheel well liner, ect (1hour) deal with the dent and surrounding area (1 hour maybe more), prep the rest of the boxside(1). Then you have to prime it and block your primer (1.5) Then once its in the paint booth, it has to be masked (1) then sealer, base and clear coat (2.5) Then put the taillight, flaps, wheel well liner ect back in/on (1) Add on the cost of a new aftermarket tail light ($75), paint ($400), shop supplies (25) So now we have 9 hours (720)

720+75+400+25 = 1220 And theres a good chance the dent will take a more than an hour (hard to tell from a picture, all those scratches could be dented as well) The paint could take more than 2.5 as well. There will be some time added to tint the colour as its not a factory colour and you want it to match.

It also looks like there is alot of layers below the showing paint. Any GOOD body shop with a lifetime warranty will not paint over old paint if its too thick. It will casue cracking and weak paint that easilly chips. So if its thick enough they won't touch it unless they strip the whole box side down to bare metal.

So there my breakdown. Can you breakdown how we (bodyshop guys) can do it for $500?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 AM

But when it comes down to it. Their insurance is paying for it. So take it to the shop that gives the highest estimate and you'll get the highest quality work. You GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR in the autobody world.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingbetter
For the record, I'm a bodyman. This is what I do every day. The people saying $4-600 are off their roockers. Our shop charges $80 an hour. I'm going to pick round numbers for easy math. Pull off things like the taillight, mudflap. Wheel well liner, ect (1hour) deal with the dent and surrounding area (1 hour maybe more), prep the rest of the boxside(1). Then you have to prime it and block your primer (1.5) Then once its in the paint booth, it has to be masked (1) then sealer, base and clear coat (2.5) Then put the taillight, flaps, wheel well liner ect back in/on (1) Add on the cost of a new aftermarket tail light ($75), paint ($400), shop supplies (25) So now we have 9 hours (720)

720+75+400+25 = 1220 And theres a good chance the dent will take a more than an hour (hard to tell from a picture, all those scratches could be dented as well) The paint could take more than 2.5 as well. There will be some time added to tint the colour as its not a factory colour and you want it to match.

It also looks like there is alot of layers below the showing paint. Any GOOD body shop with a lifetime warranty will not paint over old paint if its too thick. It will casue cracking and weak paint that easilly chips. So if its thick enough they won't touch it unless they strip the whole box side down to bare metal.

So there my breakdown. Can you breakdown how we (bodyshop guys) can do it for $500?
All good points. It's been a long time since I had any body work done. I don't dispute anything you say above. There's no substitute for a quality job.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 AM

I'm still confused as that damage doesn't look typical of a vehicle collision. Everything isn't adding up. The long shallow scratches, no damage above, no damage below and small impact zone make me wonder. And you posting here asking how much to fix it doesn't make sense either. Their insurance is paying for it...it doesn't matter how much it costs. But if you caused the damage and want to get a rough estimate, you'd post here first so you don't drop your jaw at the body shop. The "dusty" tailgate with a non dusty edge, sand scratches, rock chips on the bottom that didn't get sanded, right beside a non dusty boxside, and what looks like air blower marks. I feel like I'm playing the board game "clue". I think I have it figured out.

Professor plum was backing up close to a tree out side the mansion on his way to a party. He can't see the branch as its below the height of the boxside. Taillight broke a branch off (thick branch), With the resistance of the branch gone the truck lurched backwards into the remaining stub of the branch breaking the lens and causing the dent. The rough bark and other sticks on the tree caused the light scratches. He then ran to the Billard room where he killed Mrs White with a lead pipe and stuffed her into her car, hit the front of her car with his pipe to simulate a collision and drove off into the darkness.

Am I close? Minus the lead pipe and your name probally isnt' plum. You gotta admit, you've posted a pretty odd situation.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 AM

Hmm... Why not take it to a body shop and get an estimate?

If you were hit I hope you got the other guys info, and if so their insurance should cover it.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Some guy in a lifted second gen was pulling out of a parking lot and rubbed against it with his front bumper.

I drive the truck 50-80 miles a day and its been 60-80 degrees here so theres dust.

The reason theres no dust on the corner is i had to wipe off the dust so the tape would stick. I was going to paint the tape red so i didnt get pulled off for "white-lighting".

The reason im posting this is both our deductable's are over $500. I dont know why i have to pay? And it may be cheaper just to get this paid cash then have his insurance shaft him.

Im getting an estimate tomorow. I just wanted opinions......

Last edited by TylerH; 04-29-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Fender Bender :(