Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fan runs almost constantly on 3.0?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan runs almost constantly on 3.0?

Is it normal for the fan to run so much on a 3.0? Engine has never overheated or even been close but I can hear the roar of the fan running almost all the time? I can be driving down the highway running 55 and slow down to make a turn and when I get back on the gas the fan is on? It runs the entire time while offroad and I know it has to be killing my power. Is this normal or could the fan clutch or something else be bad? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You could have a bad fan clutch, if its the original one then its probably worn out.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by myyota
You could have a bad fan clutch, if its the original one then its probably worn out.

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if it is bad?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go turn the fan by hand, if its really easy, bad clutch. There should be some resistance but not so much that you cant turn it.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM

i have the same problem with my 3.0 4runner. the fan runs all the time. its the fan clutch. i think to test it u tie a one end of a "kite sting" to the fan and the other to a strong part under your hood when its cold and start it. if its a good fan the sting will hold the fan still and a bad clutch will brake the sting.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one I'll sell ya if your interested
Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 PM

had the same problem most parts stores me autozone...35 bucks for a fan clutch...works mint so far
Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Actually a new fan clutch should turn pretty easily, with little resistance, nice and smooth though. I would recommend getting a genuine Aisin, but thats just me.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all of your replies guys as I really appreciate it. I bet this also has something to do with my very poor fule mileage as well (8-10 MPG) and I drive like an old man on the highway never reving the engine over 3K RPM's etc and my fuel mileage is still very poor. I do have 285's with 456 gears but it was just as bad with the 225's that were on it when I first bought it.

I guess I will be picking up a fan clutch this week and hope that is the problem. Please keep any and all advice that you have for me coming. Thanks to everyone!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure the fan clutch has gone and its not just kicking on before your motor is warm..

Ive never had mine come on before, I even replaced it because I was worried it wasnt engaging
Old 03-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
Make sure the fan clutch has gone and its not just kicking on before your motor is warm..

Ive never had mine come on before, I even replaced it because I was worried it wasnt engaging
Yeah I thought about that as well. Is there something else that could be the problem here? Is there some sort of sensor that could be making the fan engage? Thanks again for all of you guys help.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
100% the fan is shot
if you turn on the engine in the morning and the fan doesnt shut off after 5 or 10 minutes that fan is shot go get a new one or take a look at my mercury villager fan swap
Old 03-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

It does cut off when I first start the engine after a few minutes but my issue here seems to be when driving the truck. Like I said I can be driving down the road at 55MPH on a cool night and slow down just to make a turn and the fan instantly comes on? Is that normal? I went out last night and did a little trail riding and the fan came on when I slowed down to turn on to the trail and didn't cut off again until after I got back on the highway or the noise of driving got louder than the fan. It just seems to me that the fan is either running too much or perhaps it just isn't working well enough to cool the engine enough to cut off? I am very confused..
Old 03-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Ok there's way too much confusion in this thread about fan clutches....
I mean they work or they dont....no sensors...no hidden tricks...

The fan will ALWAYS turn when your engine is on, the question you have to ask is when does it FULLY engage. I don't know how you can "tell" when your fan engages while driving, but hey maybe you have superhuman hearing.

If you have an ELECTRIC fan in that 94 Runner that someone put in, thats a completely different issue.

Go get yourself a buddy, and have him lend you 5 mins of his time. When the engine is for sure cold, stand by the fan blade ready to GRAB it.(Make sure you know which way it rotates so you can be ready for it) When your buddy turns the car on, grab the fan blade. You should be able to STOP the fan by grabbing it with your hands. (wear gloves if you are scared)

If you can't stop the fan, then it is the fan clutch being stuck.

Your fuel mileage will decrease slightly with a bad fan clutch, but it sounds like your losing too many MPG's for it to be from just a frozen fan clutch. I.E. o smog equip problems, wrong exhaust choice, dirty throttle body, etc.

Hope this helps, I picked up an OEM Aisin fan clutch for $90 brand new.

Last edited by PismoJoe; 03-14-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Like the previous poster stated, the fan is pretty simple.

It'll turn fast when you first start the vehicle because the fluid inside is very thick from being cold, once it warms up slightly it will only spin because the engine is spinning but should be very easy to stop once you overcome the momentum of the blades. You should be able to hear it blowing like you've mentioned when you first started it, then it'll go away.
It's simply a heat activated clutch. So once your engine temp raises the radiator heat enough to kick on the clutch the fan will start pulling air. After you've reached highway speed is should shut off. If you are going highway speed then slow down and rev your engine, and can still hear it, it's stuck on. Bad clutch.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
Ok there's way too much confusion in this thread about fan clutches....
I mean they work or they dont....no sensors...no hidden tricks...

The fan will ALWAYS turn when your engine is on, the question you have to ask is when does it FULLY engage. I don't know how you can "tell" when your fan engages while driving, but hey maybe you have superhuman hearing.

If you have an ELECTRIC fan in that 94 Runner that someone put in, thats a completely different issue.

Go get yourself a buddy, and have him lend you 5 mins of his time. When the engine is for sure cold, stand by the fan blade ready to GRAB it.(Make sure you know which way it rotates so you can be ready for it) When your buddy turns the car on, grab the fan blade. You should be able to STOP the fan by grabbing it with your hands. (wear gloves if you are scared)

If you can't stop the fan, then it is the fan clutch being stuck.

Your fuel mileage will decrease slightly with a bad fan clutch, but it sounds like your losing too many MPG's for it to be from just a frozen fan clutch. I.E. o smog equip problems, wrong exhaust choice, dirty throttle body, etc.

Hope this helps, I picked up an OEM Aisin fan clutch for $90 brand new.

Thank you very much for the clarification. What I mean when I say the fan "turns on" is the excessive loud noise that you hear at low RPM's. It doesn't do it all of the time but almost anytime I slow down or stop at a traffic light or sign. This loud noise will continue until I get to about 20mph or so and then it usually turns off or the sound just blends in with the sound of the engine? This may be perfectly normal but at low speeds like in a parking lot, offroad etc. it runs the entire time and gets louder as the RPM's get higher.

I am sorry for being such a dumb arse but I am trying to describe the issue the best I can as it seams very odd to me to hear this loud noise that sounds like a fan almost anytime the truck is running.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Desp
If you are going highway speed then slow down and rev your engine, and can still hear it, it's stuck on. Bad clutch.
This is exactly what I am talking about. It comes on (or atleast the sound becomes noticeable) almost anytime that the engine slows enough to where I can hear it. With that said I think it is on all of the time but after the truck gets to a certain miles per hour the sound of the fan just blends in the with the road noise of the tires etc. Like I said at slow speeds like in a parking lot or on the trail it runs the entire time which is what seemed strange to me.

I am starting to think I should have waited and bought me another 3rd gen with a 3.4 like I had before instead of this one.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by hlpressley
This is exactly what I am talking about. It comes on almost anytime that the engine slows enough to where I can hear it. With that said I think it is on all of the time but after the truck gets to a certain miles per hour the sound of the fan just blends in the with the road noise of the tires etc. Like I said at slow speeds like in a parking lot or on the trail it runs the entire time which is what seemed strange to me.

I am starting to think I should have waited and bought me another 3rd gen with a 3.4 like I had before instead of this one.
It sounds loud as you're increasing speed because you're spinning it faster and it's pulling a lot of air. Replacing the fan clutch isn't a big deal at all, it should be pretty easy.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Try a good used clutch.

Just have to remove the fan shroud and its pretty easy to get too. Kinda tight but easily done, and I have fat hands!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:46 PM

hlpressley you dont sound like an idiot ha you can do it hes right, remove the fan shroud + 4 bolts that hold the fan clutch and blade on