86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Factory bumper for 1988 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory bumper for 1988 pickup

I tried the items wanted section with no luck. I have a 1988 that I bought in 1989. The rear bumper on my 1988 is what the dealer sold back then. I am restoring the truck since it will soon be 20 years old.

I have tried 3 wrecking yards and ebay with no luck. If they have them then they are more bent then mine. I see local Toyotas on the street with my style bumper but the chrome ends are as bad as mine.

This is an ebay picture of a vehicle for sale. This is my style bumper.

This is my blue truck. Rubber end caps were knocked off long ago.

Anyone have a source?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 PM

Are you looking for a factory bumper? If not, these guys have rear bumpers by Fey, Smitybuilt and some generic replacement types. Some look pretty close.

http://replacement.autopartswarehous...Bumper&dp=true
Old 01-28-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean to tell me that in California you can't find a rust free one?

James
Old 01-28-2007, 09:02 PM

Rust is not an issue where I live.

Dented and mangled is.

I took this picture the other day throught the windshield as I was driving around town.

This one is 3 blocks away from my house.

Funny how it seems the left side takes the most damage.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 PM

cant you get a fairly straight one ond then have a bumper place or body shop make it straight??
Old 01-29-2007, 07:54 AM

There is currently something wrong with there web site so I couldn't access it but try this.

http://www.keystone-auto.com/
Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Just Learning
cant you get a fairly straight one ond then have a bumper place or body shop make it straight??
Ditto - all you really need are the end pieces. That bumper's not bad - you should be able to get that pup straightened and re-chromed pretty easily.....
Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
The chrome ends are replaceable; you don't need to replace the entire bumper. After 5 years of searching, a brand new NOS bumper just like the one you posted ended up on eBay and strangely enough I was the only bidder. I put a $1000 bid and got it for $200 I won?t put the bumper on until I can put the truck in a garage permanently and restore it.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I tried the items wanted section with no luck. I have a 1988 that I bought in 1989. The rear bumper on my 1988 is what the dealer sold back then. I am restoring the truck since it will soon be 20 years old.

I have tried 3 wrecking yards and ebay with no luck. If they have them then they are more bent then mine. I see local Toyotas on the street with my style bumper but the chrome ends are as bad as mine.

This is an ebay picture of a vehicle for sale. This is my style bumper.

Anyone have a source?
That's why they're called bumpers!

I used to have a similar bumper, except it was the diamond style surface pattern that was painted. I think the basic construction was the same - two nicer looking sides welded onto a bottom center plate with plastic sides.

After 20 years you have to be careful about the welds underneath that hold the left and right sides cracking. Mine cracked on one side and after I had it welded back together it cracked again 2 years later. Last year I pulled it off and replaced it with a black powdercoated Fey bumper (brand new) for less than $150. The chrome version costs more, and you'll need a different mounting bracket. The Fey bumper is much more sturdy than the original Toyota bumper. (Note that these trucks didn't usually come stock with the bumper when new. The dealers would install them as an extra.)

Unless you're looking to restore your truck with genuine OEM original vintage parts, you might want to check with some of the resellers in your area that sell to body shops. If you get friendly with them, the prices they'll give you for new aftermarket body parts will be better than what you can buy the same used part for from a junk yard (gotta love Chinese aftermarket parts). You want to specify "kappa" (spelling?) parts for the best quality. Some of the aftermarket body parts I've bought that came from Taiwan fit at least as good as my original rusted out parts.

The only thing you won't be able to find aftermarket is a truck bed. One body shop (not a cheap one) quoted me around $1200 for a new Toyota bed painted and installed.

Funny how it seems the left side takes the most damage.
It's not just the bumpers - it's also the area just below the taillights! Lots more smushed left rear side corners than right ones. Maybe it's the opposite in the UK and Oz.

Originally Posted by JamesD
You mean to tell me that in California you can't find a rust free one?

James
My truck has lots of rust and I live in California. I've seen some mid-80s vintage Toyota around me where you can see from one side to the other with both doors closed! You can't tell what the original color was, but it's now just rust colored. Wonder if they're pulled over by a cop he'll give them a hard time because the registration has some color specified other than rust.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
The chrome ends are replaceable; you don't need to replace the entire bumper. After 5 years of searching, a brand new NOS bumper just like the one you posted ended up on eBay and strangely enough I was the only bidder. I put a $1000 bid and got it for $200 I won?t put the bumper on until I can put the truck in a garage permanently and restore it.
I'm in San Jose. Let me know when you put it on and where you park it. Have ratchet wrench - will travel....

I just need the chrome ends and rubber caps. The middle section is fine.

When I bought the 1988 in 1989 I remember that the parts department had a display of the different bumpers you could buy. If I remember correctly back then the pickups came over without a bumper. If you wanted one then you bought it.

I always thought the bumpers were sourced in the US. Since you have a NOS bumper is there any indication of the company that makes it? Also, does it come with a mounting kit?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 PM

While I am pondering the rear bumper replacement, I have a question about the front.

Before I bought the truck it had been hit in the left front. A hack body repair was done. One of the parts that was replaced before my ownership was the front bumper, I would guess Taiwan because it started to rust shortly after my ownership.

I removed the rusted chrome bumper and the black valance. I took these brackets off the rusted chrome bumper to put on the replacement painted bumper. As I took the brackets off I marked them L and R, since I did not know if they were the same.

After they were both off I noticed that both have an R stamped on them. I do not have a parts list.

Does anyone know if there is a L and R bracket or are they both the same?

Edit/Update: Guess I will answer my own question. Since there was no response, I went to the dealer today and there is a left and right bracket. I have two right brackets because because of the hack repair.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 02-03-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:23 PM

The quest for the factory rear bumper is over. I gave up and just bought a black painted Fey rear bumper bumper from ebay.

Since I am going with a painted rear bumper I want a painted front bumper. The front painted bumpers I have seen on old trucks were a shade of black. On ebay the sellers call them black or gray. Went to the Toyota truck wrecking yard during my bumper hunt and he said the color was argent.

Went to the local body/crash parts wearhouse and bought a hecho en Taiwan painted bumper and valance. $55 for both. The valance is black, just like my old one use to be. The bumper is a funny color, nothing like black or gray.

So, is this argent, or the Taiwan version of argent?

Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 PM

Talking to myself yet again....

Old 02-08-2007, 03:16 PM

This message board is about worthless to me.

Is there another place????

My questions are so simple. Like how to replace a painted front bumper.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 02-08-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:41 PM

This message board is about worthless to me.

Is there another place????

My questions are so simple. Like how to replace a painted front bumper.

TP - I bought the same front bumper last year. Even though they're "painted", the finish won't hold up over the years like the original front bumper - or so I was told by the auto body parts store boss. I still have the same front bumper and lower valence in my garage until I get around to painting them before I put them on. I think the lower piece only has black primer on it instead of real automotive paint. When the weather warms up I'll finally get around to spraying it in the spring and mounting it.

I'm pretty lame when it comes to car/truck mechanical stuff, but I started working on my truck more and more figuring it is almost 20 years old and there's not much I can do to mess it up at this point. Unlike newer cars, the '88 pickups are pretty much a no brainer to work on. The Haynes, Chilton and/or Bentley manuals cover a lot of the stuff if you remember to look (which I often forget) instead of just pulling things apart and figuring it out as you go along. Very different level of sophistication / complexity than high end German sports cars!

If you want to drive south this spring when I paint my bumper, you're more than welcome to join me and use my compressor.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 PM

The front is done so it does not matter. Also got Costco tires that you can see in the painted bumper picture. Except I told Costco I did not want green valve caps, so I have black. Think they reused my black valve caps.

I have the 1988 factory service manual. Bought it in 1989 when the truck was 1 year old. Has an orange cover. Just bought the Haynes manual from ebay. Neither has the bumper attachment point details.

I do not know what came on the front of the truck when it was new, since I bought it when it was 1 year old and front body work had been done.

As for the finish on the painted bumper and valance I just put on. All I can say is that I hope I have another 18 years left in me to watch it rust.

My ebay Fey black powder coated rear bumper showed up. I cannot put it on yet as the dicks that did the body work tack welded the threads of my original bumper mounting bolts....

Last edited by Tool Pants; 02-12-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 PM

why dont you just get it rechromed,chromed looks better imo
Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 PM

I have the 1988 factory service manual. Bought it in 1989 when the truck was 1 year old. Has an orange cover. Just bought the Haynes manual from ebay. Neither has the bumper attachment point details.

I do not know what came on the front of the truck when it was new, since I bought it when it was 1 year old and front body work had been done.

As for the finish on the painted bumper and valance I just put on. All I can say is that I hope I have another 18 years left in me to watch it rust.

My ebay Fey black powder coated rear bumper showed up. I cannot put it on yet as the dicks that did the body work tack welded the threads of my original bumper mounting bolts....
The Bentley manual has a nice little diagram on how the front bumper attaches. I bought it (Bentley book) on ebay and it just came last weekend. I can scan and email the picture to you if you still need it. It looks like it's more useful than the Haynes or Chilton, and the pictures / diagrams are a lot less fuzzy

I just noticed this morning how much the mounting bracket for my Fey rear bumper has rusted in the last few months since I put it on. If you have the Fey mounting kit, you should prime/paint the 2 brackets before installing after you try an impact wrench and grinder to get your existing bumper off! (I think I paid around $17 for the mounting bracket kit, but can't remember if I tried to use the stock mounting pieces first or not)
Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 AM

Since I could not find the original chrome rear bumper I decided to go with painted front and rear bumpers. I did not like the chrome look anyway.

I paid $40 for the painted front. They also had chrome but I did not ask how much. Not worth having my old bumper rechromed. Plus once you took the rust off I'm not sure there would be enough metal left.

I also bought the Fey mounting kit. When I took a look at the factory brackets I did not think they would work with the Fey bumper. The Fey brackets are not coated. Maybe I'll paint them with something - if I ever get the old bumper off that was welded on.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 PM

bumper

ahhhhhhh dont like chrome ahhhhh, thats cool, i just like chrome , to help preserve you pain on the bumper if itmatters,could you clear coat it ??

Quick Reply: Factory bumper for 1988 pickup