Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

"Exhausted" From Searching

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Exhausted" From Searching

Hi everybody! I very recently picked up my 1st ever Toyota and it happens to be a 93 4Runner 3.0 (notice I did not call it a 3.slow). Through my "exhausting" research, I have found out that the stock crossover really just needs to be eliminated...for a few good reasons. So...I have questions about this mod:

1) I've several different posts (most on this forum) about what size pipe to run...everything from 1 3/4" to 2 1/2". What IS the best size pipe to run for this new crossover? The truck is my daily driver and will see some offroad use as well. So I guess I am looking to retain the low end torque rather than high end HP.

2) How does this crossover mod compare to headers?

3) Any suggestions on how to route the new crossover?

4) Would these trucks benefit from a dual exhaust setup? I've not seen one yet so I was wondering why not? Most other cars benefit some sort of dual exhaust setup.

I don't have a welder (or even a garage....or driveway) so I will be having a shop do the work..if it's somewhat reasonable in price. If the shop is going to charge me more than say $500, I'll just buy headers. I REALLY just want this crappy crossover out of my truck!

Last edited by muddblood; 08-16-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 AM

Couple of Questions:

1. How much money do you want to spend?

2. If 1K-2K you can do headers along with full exhaust, but why? The $1 per HP is not worth it.

IMHO - Skip the headers, get a high flow CAT and 2.5 inch exhaust pipe back to the muffler of your choice (really just pick the sound you like best). You will help the cross over dissipate some heat, gain efficiency at the CAT and put a little pep into the 3vze. All of this can be done for $500. Take your leftover money and save it for a rainy day OR go crazy and spend money on high quality suspension.

High Flow Cat - $100
Muffler - $100
Exhaust welding/Labor to install - $300
Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ADVYOTA
Couple of Questions:

1. How much money do you want to spend?

2. If 1K-2K you can do headers along with full exhaust, but why? The $1 per HP is not worth it.

IMHO - Skip the headers, get a high flow CAT and 2.5 inch exhaust pipe back to the muffler of your choice (really just pick the sound you like best). You will help the cross over dissipate some heat, gain efficiency at the CAT and put a little pep into the 3vze. All of this can be done for $500. Take your leftover money and save it for a rainy day OR go crazy and spend money on high quality suspension.

High Flow Cat - $100
Muffler - $100
Exhaust welding/Labor to install - $300
Thanks for the reply ADVYODA.

Money isn't a huge concern for me right now....wasting money however (always) is. I heard many people say the crossover mod is a night and day difference and I've heard people say headers is a night and day difference. So I guess my real question is this: are headers a night and day difference to the crossover mod?

I guess my main goal to move heat away from the heads to protect them and their related gaskets...and maybe even reduce under hood heat...not necessarily horsepower/torque gains.