Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Engine swap questions

Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap questions

This is my first time doing an engine swap and I am going to ask some very rookie questions. I need to swap out my 22re and I am going to be getting a long block. What all needs to come off of my current engine? I already removed the intake, exhaust, and distributor. Also what gaskets am I going to need?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebel Scum
This is my first time doing an engine swap and I am going to ask some very rookie questions. I need to swap out my 22re and I am going to be getting a long block. What all needs to come off of my current engine? I already removed the intake, exhaust, and distributor. Also what gaskets am I going to need?
Really depends on what you’re swapping in.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 22re is what I am swapping
Old 11-19-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Rebel Scum
Not a bad idea to buy two engine stands, it can be done without two but it will simplify things.

In short you need to remove and clean everything that attaches to the head, block, and crank shaft.

Valve cover, distributor, exhaust, block drain plug, oil pan, oil cooler, engine mounts, oil cooler, starter, knock sensor, oil pressure switch/sender, fuel pump filter, lower intake (and everything attached to it), egr valve, all the brackets on the front, balancer pulley assembly, flex plate or fly wheel, egr cooler plate. Probably some others I'm forgetting.

You'll likely receive a gasket kit from your builder, its coat effective for them to buy a full kit and send you what is left than to buy just what they will use.

Get on YouTube and look for the video that shows how to pull a 22re in a couple hours, its not the best video ever but covers alot of things that make it easier. In short you want to disconnect the engine harness from the body harness, lay the AC and PS pumps to the side and then take the engine assembly as a single unit. Once that is on the stand its easy to get everything off you'll need to have cleaned and ready to dress the new block.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 11-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You dont say which year but swap everything over. I know the 85-88 22re best and each year varies a lot. Injectors, emissions, even the Intake can vary.

Search this Thread